X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fifth element
    Commando
    • Nov 2010

to chefcraig:

so she doesn't mind being told that she's a "fucking bitch" as long as you dont say a "God damned fucking bitch"????

seriously though....she is a bit on the extreme side.....
    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fifth element
      to chefcraig:

so she doesn't mind being told that she's a "fucking bitch" as long as you dont say a "God damned fucking bitch"????

seriously though....she is a bit on the extreme side.....
      Alma is the seventy something year old housekeeper of Arthur Bryant, and both live in a former toothbrush factory, which might help explain their dour demeanor. He and his partner John May are detectives with London's Peculiar Crimes Unit, a special branch of the police force in charge of crimes (usually murder) that fall into the category of unusually bizarre. Bryant and May are also in their seventies, and often avail themselves of illegal hiring practices by commissioning freelancers specializing in "alternative" areas such as psychic investigation, dowsing and on more than one occasion, witchcraft. Both detectives have been with the PCU since WWII, and their high success rate at solving these baffling crimes have kept them in demand beyond the mandatory retirement age.

I highly recommend the series, the eighth book of which is to be released soon.
      Last edited by chefcraig; 01-04-2011, 04:09 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• fifth element
        Commando
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
        Alma is the seventy something year old housekeeper of Arthur Bryant, and both live in a former toothbrush factory, which might help explain their dour demeanor. He and his partner John May are detectives with London's Peculiar Crimes Unit, a special branch of the police force in charge of crimes (usually murder) that fall into the category of unusually bizarre. Bryant and May are also in their seventies, and often avail themselves of illegal hiring practices by commissioning freelancers specializing in "alternative" areas such as psychic investigation, dowsing and on more than one occasion, witchcraft. Both detectives have been with the PCU since WWII, and their high success rate at solving these baffling crimes have kept them in demand beyond the mandatory retirement age.

I highly recommend the series, the eighth book of which is to be released soon.
        love to read...will read almost anything.....
        so who is the author and the names of the books already out....I'll drive my library crazy tracking them all down for me.

See the author is Christopher Fowler....sorry, I'm slow....but still need names of books....and thanks!!
        Last edited by fifth element; 01-04-2011, 04:19 PM.
        “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fifth element
          love to read...will read almost anything.....
          so who is the author and the names of the books already out....I'll drive my library crazy tracking them all down for me.

See the author is Christopher Fowler....sorry, I'm slow....but still need names of books....and thanks!!
          Here is a list of the books and their British publication dates. You can learn more about Fowler at his web site: ChristopherFowler.co.uk

1. Full Dark House (2003)
          2. The Water Room (2004)
          3. Seventy-Seven Clocks (2005)
          4. Ten Second Staircase (2006)
          5. White Corridor (2007)
          6. The Victoria Vanishes (2008)
          7. Bryant and May on the Loose (2009)
          8. Off the Rails (2010)
          Last edited by chefcraig; 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• fifth element
            Commando
            • Nov 2010

tyty...will give me something to do since my hours have been slashed at work...

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
              You realize that grape juice is a gateway juice...
              i always felt breast milk started the problem
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                i always felt breast; milk started the problem
                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  Alma is the seventy something year old housekeeper of Arthur Bryant, and both live in a former toothbrush factory, which might help explain their dour demeanor. He and his partner John May are detectives with London's Peculiar Crimes Unit, a special branch of the police force in charge of crimes (usually murder) that fall into the category of unusually bizarre. Bryant and May are also in their seventies, and often avail themselves of illegal hiring practices by commissioning freelancers specializing in "alternative" areas such as psychic investigation, dowsing and on more than one occasion, witchcraft.
                  Hmm it's maybe a bit rich to deride Christianity for it's lack of proof and then use dowsing and psychics which have been completely scientifically debunked a thousand times.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    Hmm it's maybe a bit rich to deride Christianity for it's lack of proof and then use dowsing and psychics which have been completely scientifically debunked a thousand times.
                    The psychics and dowsers that are brought in are completely off their collective rockers and are usually useless, but for some reason inspire the detectives to go off on a tangent or look at things in another manner that sparks a new line of inquiry. So in effect, it isn't the methods or even the "results" these people bring in, it's more their personalities and karma.
                    Last edited by chefcraig; 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Personally I don't care how nutso one of these dowsers or psychics are as long as they can produce results and solve cases. But 9 times out of 10 they cannot.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's not as good as 9 times out of 10 unless the random chance is 9 out of 10.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I think it's pointless to argue over the unprovable. The only people who have a vested interest whether Jesus was the real deal or not are church's who make money selling fear that you won't benefit from Jesus' atonement unless you invest in their approved by Jesus authority program.

Frankly who gives a rat's ass? Who care if it's real or not as long as some of the teachings make some sense. I like the golden rule and society would be better off if we all followed it. It can also solve some of these annoying religion problems. For example, if you don't like assholes hounding you over religion, don't hound other assholes with your religion. The golden rule would put an end to those annoying missionaries that knock on your door.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            I think it's pointless to argue over the unprovable.
                            on page three of the thread, ironic. we all must feel the same way
                            Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 01-05-2011, 06:32 PM. Reason: boobs

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

You can find some good in all religions. Now I have no interest in joining Islam but let's take a peek and see if there is anything I like. I do like the 72 virgin thing but I don't want to die to get them and why can't it be 72,000 virgins? How about if you kill someone you hate, you get 72,000 virgins in this life? Sounds good to me but the problem is the church can't deliver the goods here. They never can.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Here's my two bits. I think this life is upper hell and we have managed to climb up through lower hell to get here. Why we are here is to learn truth from fiction and learn how to discern one from the other. Once you learn that all religion is bullshit you now find new freedom and have more money to spend on yourself. This bit on knowledge moves you into a more enjoyable existence free from church duty and guilt. Also you gain more knowledge being able to look at the universe as it is other than through a narrowly defined explanation cooked up by priests and monks.

Comment

Working...