Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

My friend has it set up with the power company what does go into the grid he gets paid for. I have a propane generator because we get power outages in the winter due to the snow load and storms. There is a big switch under our main breaker box I just throw to go off grid. You don't want to run your generator hooked up to the grid because you lose power and second you can charge the lines and electrocute the people working on them. I think being a linesman would be a scary job.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
      I have never experienced those chiller units Arizona and desert states have, all it does, if memory serves, is put some humidity in the air like a fine mist in your house, doesn't need freon or a electricity demanding pump.

P.S. I wrote , "Keep Thier Units Cranking Non Stop " in my above post, 5 stars please..lol.

Don't, crank that unit, to hard ...words to live by.
      It's called micro mist. The problem is minerals can clog the nozzles and you can't have any furniture sensitive to moister around. You wouldn't want an expensive piano or guitars near any of the jets. I think they have bagged doing that for in homes but use them for patios and pool houses. Too bad solar panels are so expensive. Just generate your own power from the sun to run the air conditioning during the hot hours of the day. I guess the only drawback to solar panels is you have to keep them clean so you have to go up on the roof every few weeks to clean them.
      Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-22-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
        Full Member Status

• May 2010

My friend has it set up with the power company what does go into the grid he gets paid for. I have a propane generator because we get power outages in the winter due to the snow load and storms. There is a big switch under our main breaker box I just throw to go off grid. You don't want to run your generator hooked up to the grid because you lose power and second you can charge the lines and electrocute the people working on them. I think being a linesman would be a scary job.

Smart thinking there.

I had generator and would would plug it into my wall outlet back feed the house on one side of the main bar, but I had to remove the main 120 wire on that side of the panel and could run that sides light ac fridge etc....

I always wanted to live in a duplex get in the wall and splice into my neighbors electric and leach just a little, mainly to say I did it and also steal electric save and get more beer money!!!!! but I never did. I am somewhat ethical probably couldn't do that but I thought about it..lol

The stupidest shit I used to do was climb the electrical pole and split of my neighbors, Cable TV, remove the premium channel blockers, just dumbshit kid stuff..lol. This didn't cost the neighbor more but I was ripping off Cable TV.

I am a criminal!!
        Last edited by clarathecarrot; 07-22-2012, 09:02 PM.
        2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
        clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• clarathecarrot
          Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          It's called micro mist. The problem is minerals can clog the nozzles and you can't have any furniture sensitive to moister around. You wouldn't want an expensive piano or guitars near any of the jets. I think they have bagged doing that for in homes but use them for patios and pool houses. Too bad solar panels are so expensive. Just generate your own power from the sun to run the air conditioning during the hot hours of the day. I guess the only drawback to solar panels is you have to keep them clean so you have to go up on the roof every few weeks to clean them.
          I studied passive heating and cooling home construction never did any of it, but the books were interesting, tile floors, large windows, absorbes heat all day keeps house cool, gives that heat back off at night.If you know what you are doing and have the money in your homes construction, you can live for pennies..lol.

If you "HAVE THE MONEY" you can live for pennies...oh the irony

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            DI water filters aren't that expensive, but I will take your word for it.

My X's house has a biological home water filter that only lets the H2O molocule thru, so they say. I would change it 2x a years, Used only for drinking water and the ice maker.... smart stuff.

I never dug the softener all that salt and the mess, hooked up to the shower pipes and the clothes washer, it by passed the kitchen & bathroom sink faucet. I always figured there must be 10lbs of solid diamond quality salt in the bottom of the water heater..?

Doing money saving shit to your own house is just money well spent.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Actually a water softener helps you water heater last longer. The salt is so dilute that it's not going to corrode any pipes out. As far as drinking water goes you need the minerals in the water. Our subdivision has it's own well and we lucked out we have naturally soft water. I hated hauling salt in the last place we lived because we had hard water there.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                Full Member Status

• May 2010

Yeap, the filtered water was in a three gallon storage tank after biological filtration, and then went to a small in line filter that added minerals back.

I never liked that little filter and would just go eat a T-Bone Steak.... mmmm minerals from cow parts ..easily absorbed and delicious.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

We haven't had a brown out yet this season, but it is coming I am in the same sphere as most other midwesterners 105 humid can't keep the silly little flowers alive I planted this year, etc...

It is just unbelievable how many people think thier AC units will pull the house down to 72 degrees these things will only lower the temp by 20 all determined by the outside temp.

If it is 105 your ac unit should cool you to 85 you will be cold..but people keep thier units cranking non stop they freeze up break and then they bitch..dumbshits.

The unit must turn off to keep from freezing up, but they don't care or know better. Set your thermostat 5 degrees lower than your home temp you will be cold save money and have a 30 year life span AC unit.

They tax the city grid so much it causes the city to shut down sectors to save the whole city going out.
                  I've lived in central Texas and Arkansas the last 33 years... never seen an AC unit freeze up unless it was improperly installed or missing insulation on the high pressure lines. Frankly when it's 100+ ain't nothin gonna freeze...

I think you are misinformed on the 20 degree differential... properly running A/C should have a 20 degree differential from the intake air to the output temperature. Unlike the A/C in your car your intake air which draws air externally unless you switch it to recirculate... home A/C intake air will be at whatever the ambient temperature is indoors then cooled 15-20 degrees plus have the humidity levels reduce by about 60%. So you can maintain a temperature for lower than the exteranl temp as long as the building has some sort of insulation.
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2007

Swamp coolers for the house, not misters...
                    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

they only work with low humidity, this time of year they don't work no mo
                      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                        Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        I've lived in central Texas and Arkansas the last 33 years... never seen an AC unit freeze up unless it was improperly installed or missing insulation on the high pressure lines. Frankly when it's 100+ ain't nothin gonna freeze...

I think you are misinformed on the 20 degree differential... properly running A/C should have a 20 degree differential from the intake air to the output temperature. Unlike the A/C in your car your intake air which draws air externally unless you switch it to recirculate... home A/C intake air will be at whatever the ambient temperature is indoors then cooled 15-20 degrees plus have the humidity levels reduce by about 60%. So you can maintain a temperature for lower than the exteranl temp as long as the building has some sort of insulation.
                        Very sinilar to what i said what i said was understandable by people who don't care about the technical aspects.It just gets them where they need to be.

and...I have seen many airconditioners frozen solid and burn up due the the frozen solid nature of the frozen airconditioner unit.

I am however sorry that i didn't explain in detail the fact that I was speaking of the A-Coil. Not the outside
                        unit.of the house again most people have no idea what a a-coil is so I kept it simple.

I however must say I have seen widow units frozen solid and broken and the evaporator is outside the window.

I have also seen car ac pumps broken with a chunk of ice growing out of the pump head,
                        on the motor of a car that is temped at almost 200 degrees...

If it is 100 degrees outside you body will be cold if the as inside temp of your house is 80 if it is 80 outside you will be cold if inside is 60 if outside is 60 you will be cold at 40 inside.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                          Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                          they only work with low humidity, this time of year they don't work no mo
                          So are areas like where you live running regualr ac units..?

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2007

So are areas like where you live running regualr ac units..?
                            heat pumps......

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2007

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                                Full Member Status

• May 2010

CoooooooooooooooL.

Comment

Working...