X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    I really don't think so hun'. I did a little internet research. The British freed up a large portion of their Army when the Napoleonic Wars ended and that's when they sent soldiers and marines (about 4500) to attack up and down the American coast and draw the U.S. Army away from Canada.
    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/htf/Bburg01.html
    You know Nick, we've been doing a little feudin' lately, but I have to side with you on this one. This Canuck bitch is as crazy as a shit-house mouse.

I've argued this point with her several times. Canadian militia played no part in the burning of Washington. It was a British party as much as she would hate to admit.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
      You know Nick, we've been doing a little feudin' lately, but I have to side with you on this one. This Canuck bitch is as crazy as a shit-house mouse.

I've argued this point with her several times. Canadian militia played no part in the burning of Washington. It was a British party as much as she would hate to admit.
      She just wants to hear that the Canadian Militia burned Washington, in fact I believe the Canadian Militia didn't even burn feeble little Buffalo, nor left Canada at all during that war.

Militia, whether Canadian or American, wasn't really worth a shit back then.

Comment

• WACF
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

1812-1813: Invasion Repelled
        In 1812, the United States invaded Canada.
        In June 1812, the United States declared war on Britain, already locked in combat with Napoleon’s France. The resulting War of 1812 was fought largely on Canadian territory, especially along the Niagara frontier.

The Americans were superior in numbers but badly organized. First Peoples, including a Shawnee contingent led by Tecumseh, and Canadian militia units provided invaluable support to Canada’s garrison of professional soldiers. In October 1812, Sir Isaac Brock, commander-in- chief of Upper Canada, was killed defeating a major American invasion attempt at Queenston Heights, on the Niagara River. Much skirmishing and raiding occurred throughout the first part of 1813, especially along Lake Ontario and the Niagara frontier.

And also....

THE WAR OF 1812
        1813-1814 : Canada Saved

Every American invasion ended in defeat.

In October 1813, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles de Salaberry and 460 troops, mostly French- Canadian voltigeurs (light infantry), turned back 4000 American invaders along the Châteauguay River, south of Montréal. British regulars defeated a second American column at Crysler’s Farm, in eastern Ontario.

Bitter fighting along the Niagara frontier, an American attack on Toronto in 1813, and American naval successes on Lake Champlain in 1814 did little to affect the military situation. In December 1814, Britain and the United States signed the Treaty of Ghent and returned all captured territory.

Canadians took justifiable pride in their role in the war, but Canada’s security had been preserved mainly by well-trained British regulars.

I my opinion you guys are picking at the little details here....I will have to look it up but yes....Canadian milita did take part in the incursions into the States.

For the record we did not start up our own regular military force until the later 1800's....

CREATING A STANDING ARMY
        1871-1883
        After Confederation, Canada paid for its own defence and raised its first permanent military units.
        The 1868 Militia Act ensured Canadian political control over Canadian forces although they were led by a British General Officer Commanding. British garrisons (except for a small detachment at the Royal Navy base in Halifax) left Canada in 1871. Canada then took over the forts at Kingston and Québec and created two permanent artillery units to garrison them. Known as the Permanent Force, these units were the country’s first full-time regular forces. In 1876, Ottawa opened the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston to help professionalize the officer corps. Seven years later it raised permanent infantry and cavalry units, mainly to train the part-time Militia and to act as an internal security force.

Relations with the United States improved after 1871 and, except for rare instances of tension, serious planning against an American invasion was no longer necessary
        Last edited by WACF; 01-25-2005, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by WACF
          http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/chrono/1...epelled_e.html

1812-1813: Invasion Repelled
          In 1812, the United States invaded Canada.
          In June 1812, the United States declared war on Britain, already locked in combat with Napoleon’s France. The resulting War of 1812 was fought largely on Canadian territory, especially along the Niagara frontier.

The Americans were superior in numbers but badly organized. First Peoples, including a Shawnee contingent led by Tecumseh, and Canadian militia units provided invaluable support to Canada’s garrison of professional soldiers. In October 1812, Sir Isaac Brock, commander-in- chief of Upper Canada, was killed defeating a major American invasion attempt at Queenston Heights, on the Niagara River. Much skirmishing and raiding occurred throughout the first part of 1813, especially along Lake Ontario and the Niagara frontier.

And also....

THE WAR OF 1812
          1813-1814 : Canada Saved

Every American invasion ended in defeat.

In October 1813, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles de Salaberry and 460 troops, mostly French- Canadian voltigeurs (light infantry), turned back 4000 American invaders along the Châteauguay River, south of Montréal. British regulars defeated a second American column at Crysler’s Farm, in eastern Ontario.

Bitter fighting along the Niagara frontier, an American attack on Toronto in 1813, and American naval successes on Lake Champlain in 1814 did little to affect the military situation. In December 1814, Britain and the United States signed the Treaty of Ghent and returned all captured territory.

Canadians took justifiable pride in their role in the war, but Canada’s security had been preserved mainly by well-trained British regulars.

I my opinion you guys are picking at the little details here....I will have to look it up but yes....Canadian milita did take part in the incursions into the States.

For the record we did not start up our own regular military force until the later 1800's....

CREATING A STANDING ARMY
          1871-1883
          After Confederation, Canada paid for its own defence and raised its first permanent military units.
          The 1868 Militia Act ensured Canadian political control over Canadian forces although they were led by a British General Officer Commanding. British garrisons (except for a small detachment at the Royal Navy base in Halifax) left Canada in 1871. Canada then took over the forts at Kingston and Québec and created two permanent artillery units to garrison them. Known as the Permanent Force, these units were the country’s first full-time regular forces. In 1876, Ottawa opened the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston to help professionalize the officer corps. Seven years later it raised permanent infantry and cavalry units, mainly to train the part-time Militia and to act as an internal security force.

Relations with the United States improved after 1871 and, except for rare instances of tension, serious planning against an American invasion was no longer necessary
          I am not debating the fact that the Canadians didn't take part in the War of 1812, they certainly did and certainly helped repel the American Army. But they in fact did not burn Washington, D.C. and had their own problems when facing the "REGULAR" U.S. Army (after they finally got their shit together late in the War) in a few meaningless battles towards the end of the War.

I am aware of the overall impressive combat record of Canadian units.

Comment

• WACF
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

The Washigton part is what I have to look up....I have two books here and I need to find it in there.

Canadian Militia did take part but it was in fact a British operation....that is what I am trying to get at....you guys are on the same page really...it is just the little details.
            The fact is most Canadian Militia were Native, French or British in origin...I do remember previous to the war of 1812 British military men were given land to come to Canada to populate the new colony....our militia had a lot of British expatriots or were 2 generation.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Since we are the subject, I found this web site that details plans by both the U.S. and Canadian high commands to invade each other up until the 1920's.

For the most part, the plans were a theoretical excercise since both countries were friendly and deeply isolationist.

Did the U.S. plan an invasion of Canada in the 1920s?

04-Feb-2003

Dear Straight Dope:

I came across something the other day and wondered how much of it was Internet fabrication--namely, a claim that the U.S. had plans to invade Canada (called the "Red army" in the plans) sometime after WW1. First, is this true? Second, if it is true, why? Aside from the War of 1812 and the Fenian revolt in the 1860s, both of which were directed at England, I always thought U.S./Canada relations were pretty friendly. And speaking of the Fenian revolt, how real of a real threat was it? My preliminary research suggests the Fenians didn't manage to amass many troops on the U.S. side of the border, leading me to conclude that they were swatted down pretty easily. --Mister Biggles

SDSTAFF bibliophage replies:

U.S. plans to invade Canada after the First World War? This is one of the most bizarre stories I've come across on the Internet, and the most bizarre part is that it's true. The U.S. military really did develop a "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan--Red" in the 1920s and '30s, and it really did include provisions for an invasion of Canada by the United States.

The document was declassified in 1974, so this isn't really a new story, but there has been some hoopla about it lately. Concerns in some quarters notwithstanding, the whole thing was just a theoretical exercise in military planning. The brass would have made better use of their resources planning for a war with Germany, but that wasn't politically expedient. They reasoned that planning for unlikely wars was better than no planning at all. War Plan Red was never intended to be put into action except in the event of a war with the United Kingdom, an eventuality that everyone would agree was highly unlikely after about 1900.

In the color codes used at that time, "Red" referred not to Canada (that was "Crimson"), but to the United Kingdom. The proposed invasion of Canada wasn't an end in itself; it was just the easiest way to hurt the U.K. The plan called for quickly seizing the key port of Halifax to prevent British resupply; cutting communication between eastern and western Canada by capturing Winnipeg; securing bridgeheads near Buffalo, Detroit, and Sault Ste. Marie; and attacking Quebec overland from New England. If everything went according to plan, the U.S. military hoped to take the Great Lakes region and St. Lawrence valley before moving on the prairies and British Columbia. Later when U.S. naval forces were built up, they might be able to take Bermuda and Britain's Caribbean possessions on the road toward victory...The Rest

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

Let's wait until at least June to invade Canada. Don't want to upset the junior hockey season!

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                  NOPE... your history books aren't being very truthful, are they?
                  HISTORY is written by the WINNERS, babe.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The Washigton part is what I have to look up....I have two books here and I need to find it in there.

Canadian Militia did take part but it was in fact a British operation....that is what I am trying to get at....you guys are on the same page really...it is just the little details.
                    It wasn't until after Britain was done fighting Napoleon (temporarily), that they were able to send an armada and a large number of troops of the U.S. coast and were then able to take the offensive.

The American coastline wasn't attacked until after a lull in the Napoleonic Wars. The British fleet began raiding the American coastline to punish, draw troops away from Canada, and to give their troops and sailors some needed training for the final showdown with Napoleon.

Many small skirmishes took place with raiders along the coast, Hampton Roads, VA was attacked and atrocities were committed. Then, Washington was burned by a large force of British regulars and Marines, which later attacked, but failed to take Baltimore. Buffalo, being a border city near Ft. Erie, was ransacked by the British regular Army and possibly the Canadian militia along with Indians.

There were no Canadians near Washington unless they were in the regular Army.

Comment

• WACF
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Nothing personal but I want to prove you wrong...LOL......

I need to look...I have a couple books by Pierre Burton and I am positve he touches on that....I think "Flames across the border" is the one.

I do not know how credible it is but I do know that the Metis(French - Native mix) count burning Washington as a battle honour...the miltia unit that existed at the time does not exist today so it could be folklore....

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Nothing personal but I want to prove you wrong...LOL......

I need to look...I have a couple books by Pierre Burton and I am positve he touches on that....I think "Flames across the border" is the one.

I do not know how credible it is but I do know that the Metis(French - Native mix) count burning Washington as a battle honour...the miltia unit that existed at the time does not exist today so it could be folklore....
                        I highly doubt the English raider fleet stopped in Canada to pick up Franco-phones before they attacked the Eastern Coast of the US.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                          Why in the hell would we invade Canada? They don't have any oil!

best post in months

Originally posted by Kristy
                          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                          Originally posted by cadaverdog
                          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• blueturk
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

best post in months

Don't tell Angel! She's already questioned my intelligence over this post. How the hell was I supposed to know Canada had any oil? You never hear about it. I've heard about those deadly prescription drugs Dubya wants us to stay away from,but not oil.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                              Don't tell Angel! She's already questioned my intelligence over this post. How the hell was I supposed to know Canada had any oil? You never hear about it. I've heard about those deadly prescription drugs Dubya wants us to stay away from,but not oil.
                              That's because the Canadians keep it very quiet and pretend they're getting the oil from Russia!

Comment

• Full Bug
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                                That's because the Canadians keep it very quiet and pretend they're getting the oil from Russia!
                                SHHHH!
                                Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

Working...