X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by WACF
    I grew up believing in Noah's Ark...not until you actually look into it do you then realize there is zero evidence...you tend to look past alot of the other flaws in the stories....because they are so out there but are a part of your belief system.
    Catholic doctrine seems to be that some of the bible is literally true and some is metaphorically true but it's all true. The church argues that the message and truth is the most important thing.

In some ways I get more concerned about this teaching morality than about that than the practicalities of 600 000 species of beetle or plants under water for 40 days.

All those 1000s of bloated rotting dead baby corpses because the loving father wasn't getting enough respect?

Or was it maybe as a means for humans to control other humans with terrifying threats.

"It is almost too ridiculous to mention it, but I'm afraid I have to because of the more than 40 per cent of the American population who...accept the Bible literally: think what the distribution of animals should look like if they'd all dispersed from Noah's Ark. Shouldn't there be some sort of law of decreasing species diversity as we move away from an epicenter--perhaps Mount Ararat? I don't need to tell you that this is not what we see at all.

Why would all those marsupials--ranging from tiny pouched mice through koalas and bilbys to giant kangaroos and Diprotodonts--why would all those marsupials, but no placentals at all, have migrated en masse from Mount Ararat to Australia? Which route did they take? And why did not a single member of their straggling caravan pause on the way--in India, perhaps, or China, or some haven along the Great Silk Road? Why did the entire order Edentata (all twenty species of armadillo, including the extinct giant armadillo, all six species of sloth, including extinct giant sloths and all four species of anteater) troop of unerringly to South America, leaving not a rack behind, leaving no hide nor hair nor armour plate of settlers somewhere along the way? Why were they joined by the entire infraorder of caviomorph rodents, including guinea pigs, agoutis, pacas, maras, capybaras, chinchillas and lots of others, a large group of characteristically South American rodents, found nowhere else?"

He continues with more examples (lemurs in Madagascar, penguins in Antarctica, etc.) and then writes, "Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small a nut, but I have to do so because more than 40 per cent of the American people believe literally in the story of Noah's Ark. We should be able to ignore them and get on with our science, but we can't afford to because they control school boards, they home-school their children to deprive them of access to proper science teachers, and they include many members of the United States Congress, some state governors, and even presidential and vice-presidential candidates. They have the money and the power to build institutions, universities, even a museum where children ride life-size mechanical models of dinosaurs, which, they are solemnly told, coexisted with humans. And, as recent polls have shown, Britain is not far behind (of should that read 'ahead'?), along with parts of Europe and most of the Islamic world.

Even if we leave Mount Ararat to one side; even if we refrain from lampooning those who take the Noah's Ark myth literally, similar problems apply to the theory of the separate creation of species. Why would an all-powerful creator decide to plant his carefully crafted species on islands and continents in exactly the appropriate pattern to suggest, irresistibly, that they had evolved and dispersed from the site of their evolution?" (Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth. 269-270.)
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-27-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Blaze
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Well, I think that humans have been "wiped from the face of the Earth, save a handful" , not only once, but more than once. It is vain to assume that time for "God" is equivalent to man's concept of time. Or that "God" is even bound by time at all. In no place is it stated what sort of image of "God's" that man was created from, or even what context that is related to.
      I have often wondered when this set of humans is reduced to a handful and scientist unearth our "civilization" will our statues also be called our gods?
      I always thought it odd that no matter what was unearth from ancient civilizations that most everything deemed a worship item or a symbolic item. Instead of cheep mass production that made it through time. for example:

Maybe that statue and the others like it was a marketing ploy for mass produced dollar store items.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
      sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

And just for fun thought;
        If the times lines are all screwed up those crazy half animal and half human carvings could be GE designer humans, perhaps humanities ethics weren't always as good as they are not
        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Blaze
          I always thought it odd that no matter what was unearth from ancient civilizations that most everything deemed a worship item or a symbolic item. Instead of cheep mass production that made it through time. for example:

Maybe that statue and the others like it was a marketing ploy for mass produced dollar store items.
          Like maybe there is a tiny hieroglyph on it saying 'Typical Florida Themepark Woman'?

Where your theory falls down a bit is that if you stick these things under a microscope you can see the marks made by the tools used to make them. You can then work out that they couldn't be mass produced because it might take a year of chipping at them each night with a flint which is even worse than working for Nike©®™.
          Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-28-2011, 06:01 AM.

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Tools are usually used to make things, this is true!

On a side note, how did I manage to type a letter t for the letter w, they are like 2 letters apart on the keyboard. Will the wonders of the world never cease?!
            sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Should I have made that clearer? You can tell what type of tool was used. Eg that's one of the reasons we know the whole crystal skull myth is a load of bunkum because you test and see that they were made using 19th century European tools.

Another shitty thing about the last Indie film.

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

I had never heard of the Crystal Skulls. Quite an interesting story they are. However, the note that none of them have ever been documented in an dig or an authenticated find, gives more weight to their being fakes than the manufacture process. That is IF the times lines of history are indeed skewed. And by timeline being skewed, I mean that what we perceive as ancient history is actually older and prior to the last "cleanse" of a system of things (world systems) or even prior to a number of "world systems" cleanses.
                sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There is unfortunately no evidence of your world cleanse idea though and it goes against the fossil and geological record so I wouldn't start spending that Noble prize money just yet.

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    There is unfortunately no evidence of your world cleanse idea though and it goes against the fossil and geological record so I wouldn't start spending that Noble prize money just yet.
                    touché

`````````````````````````````````````````
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sigpic

Comment

Working...