• ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

"How"

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

...and even now, a lot of the tax dollars paid by those of us in the more populous (and usually "blue" states) end up going to the lesser populated rural "red" states.

So that could mean the smaller states would suffer without a national system. Ironically, they would still vote against it if KKKarl Rove and the NRA told them to.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

No way do I believe anything you just said...

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          No way do I believe anything you just said...
          Then don't take my word for it....... http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezr...te_ripoff.html
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

That's a bunch of bullshit...

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

You know, I'd rather have Gov't Healthcare, then the trillions of dollars wasted on three bullshit wars (Gulf War I., Afganistan, Gulf War II) which all but accomplished nothing for our self-interests.

Think of what could have been done with us not spending that money. What a fucking waste.
              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You can add Korea and Vietnam to that list too. And considering Harry Truman tried to get a single payer health care system set up in 1947, it really DOES go back that far.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

06.28.12 - 1:13 PM
                  #FOXfail, #CNNfail

It was FOX News and CNN's "Dewey Defeats Truman" moment.

Reporting the Supreme Court's decision on Obama's health care law, both CNN and Fox News rushed dead-wrong headlines on-air.

CNN and Fox News violated the first rule of journalism: get it first but get it right.

The individual mandate had been "struck down" in "a dramatic blow to the policy and to the President, politically," CNN's John King breathlessly reported. "Wow, that's a dramatic moment," CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer responded, "if in fact the Supreme Court has ruled that the individual mandate is in fact unconstitutional, that would be history unfolding right now."

Banner on CNN: "Supreme Ct. Kills Individual Mandate"

Fox News announcer Bill Hemmer: “We have breaking news here on the Fox News Channel, the individual mandate has been ruled unconstitutional. This was a part of the law that was at the center of the oral arguments three months ago on this day when the justices hammered away at the White House and the administration's attorney, questioning the validity of the individual mandate and asking the following pointed question: if you can legislate healthcare, where can the federal government be stopped?”

Banner on FOX News: “Supreme Court finds health care individual mandate unconstitutional”.

Buzzfeed is reporting that CNN staffers are "on the verge of open revolt" over the network's incompetence:

“Fucking humiliating,” said one CNN veteran. “We had a chance to cover it right. And some people in here don’t get what a big deal getting it wrong is. Morons.”

“Shameful,” another long-time correspondent told BuzzFeed.

"It's outrageous and embarrassing,” a third CNN staffer vented. “Maybe this will shake the company into understanding that CNN has not been the 'most trusted name in news' for a very long time."

Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our Mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Dewey Defeats Truman, 2012 edition??

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• SunisinuS
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      My main problem with the afordable care act was it was secret and rammed through and signed into law without any public debate or public disclosure on what was in it.
                      So Passng through the executive branch...the House, Senate, and now Supreme Court was "ramming it through'? Sounds like hard work on any domestic agenda. Even started with Teddy R. in 1912.

How much more debate do you want?

300 years instead of 100 years?
                      Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

In other news, but just to show how out of control government is, Los Angeles mayor is proposing a TEMPORARY tax hike for such & such. Forget exactly what. Set to expire in 2069. Yep. Temporary.

People love taxes. We must or we wouldn't keep voting these money grubbing spendaholic thieves into office.

I wonder which state will be the first to leave the union. I used to think Texas but now it could be any number of states. I do believe we will see it in our lifetimes. Our children will at least.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Problem is, we don't need "new" taxes. We just need to roll tax levels back to where they were in 1980 (1960 would be even better) but close all the loopholes first.

Eisenhower's 91% tax rate on the rich built the Interstate Highway System. It also built a shitload of nuclear weapons that we thought we needed to keep ourselves safe from the Commies. While the wisdom of that last part can be debated, point is, at least the money was there to pay for it. Unlike Chimpy's wars, which the dumb son of an Aleister Crowley fathered bitch started AFTER cutting taxes on his tax dodging friends.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

I think the federal income tax is one big failure. I believe around $2.1 trillion is collected from it. It actually costs $1 trillion to process and collect the taxes. So you waste a trillion dollars just implementing the tax. Of course this generates lots of jobs and tax preparation is one of the biggest businesses in the country but it's just dumb. I believe the tax code is over 13,000 pages.

Then you have people lose their homes, have their checks garnished, and get harassed by IRS agents. People fear the IRS. We could get rid of all this nonsense by having a value added tax. Everyone will pay, the rich will pay more because they buy more and it eliminates the excuse to invade your privacy or the opportunity to harass you.

We need to repeal the federal income tax because 40% of the citizens don't pay it anyways. I would just assume pay a little more when I buy something than to deal with the tax code and not worry about the IRS.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                              In other news, but just to show how out of control government is, Los Angeles mayor is proposing a TEMPORARY tax hike for such & such. Forget exactly what. Set to expire in 2069. Yep. Temporary.

People love taxes. We must or we wouldn't keep voting these money grubbing spendaholic thieves into office.

I wonder which state will be the first to leave the union. I used to think Texas but now it could be any number of states. I do believe we will see it in our lifetimes. Our children will at least.
                              I thought it would take 20 to 30 years to get to where we are now. Texas is the only state that can legally leave the union. Before the civil war any state could leave the union but that was changed after the war. Texas refused to agree to the new terms and never surrendered it's right to succeed and go back to being the Republic of Texas. I think Californa reflects the same problem found in Washington DC. People get complacent when things are good. California not too long ago had a gross national product the same size as France. California has the sixth or seventh largest GNP in the world. It pretty much was it's own country. What happened is people just got used to being on top and political hacks wormed their way in using the huge state coffers to buy influence and justify their jobs. This goes on for a number of years and the next thing you know the money is gone.

What will happen if the next serving president and congress continue corruption as usual is the states will call a constitutional convention. This takes the power out of the federal politicians hands and puts it back on the state legislatures. If for some reason that becomes a failure states will say we are done with this because the taxes are killing us and it's no longer working. If the federal government reacts violently to states succeeding then we are in another civil war if not revolution situation.
                              Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-29-2012, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                                So Passng through the executive branch...the House, Senate, and now Supreme Court was "ramming it through'? Sounds like hard work on any domestic agenda. Even started with Teddy R. in 1912.

How much more debate do you want?

300 years instead of 100 years?
                                The problem is they are adding so much to bills and adding so much in the last minute, nobody can read what they are voting on. They just voted the biggest tax increase in the history of the nation without reading it and now we are learning exactly what they passed and it's going to be a bitch. If you can't afford the expensive insurance you have to pay higher taxes. This so called affordable healthcare act is stealing from medicare which was actual socialized medicine. The insurance costs aren't going to go down neither is the healthcare costs. They are going to tax the manufacturers of medical equipment and that increased cost will be added on. Of course there is always the exemptions like McDonald's got. So if you donate enough money to the politicians in charge, they may waive the tax. It's pretty shady shit when you look at what they did. It's not universal medicine, it's being taxed for not buying a product and your choices are limited. All the supreme court did was define the healthcare mandate as a tax and said it was not their job to change shitty legislation that the legislative and executive branches passed and it was not their job to do so. So the Supreme Court washed their hands of it calling it a tax and saying the tax is constitutional. Nancy Pelosi even said we had to pass it to see what's in it. This is not the transparent government Obama promised us. This has been going on far too long. These con artists that run for political office know what we are sick of, they say they will fix things and then they stab us in the back and act all cocky that they got away with it. I think the public is fed up with this shit.

Comment

Working...