Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I don't really see how a maximum wage could be enforced given tax loopholes and pension entitlements. That being said, I have no problem with CEOs etc earning stupid money - it's what they do with that money that concerns me.

I'd like to think should I be earning $10 million a year I'd be trying to do as much good with as possible. Wealth is fine and dandy; greed is repugnant.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by binnie
      I'd like to think should I be earning $10 million a year I'd be trying to do as much good with as possible. Wealth is fine and dandy; greed is repugnant.
      Almost everyone that earns $10 million a year doesn't feel like that which is why they ended up earning that much.

If you look at the rich lists with a couple of exceptions the most generous of the richest people give away sums like 3% a year.

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Satan
        The most important job in the US (President) pays about $400K/year, last time a Devil checked.

Since nobody's job is more important than that, how can anybody justify getting paid more?

And if they do, why should they complain that they have to pay taxes accordingly?
        same in oz, 'zebub. the captain of the national cricket team gets 10x what the prime minister gets. mind you, she's a fucking lying conniving hypocrite, and his straight bat is suspect.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Almost everyone that earns $10 million a year doesn't feel like that which is why they ended up earning that much.

If you look at the rich lists with a couple of exceptions the most generous of the richest people give away sums like 3% a year.
          Which is pretty shocking.

Maybe it is a lack of imagination on my part, but one you have a very nice house plus one or two holiday homes, cars + boat (if you're into that) and all the mod cons you can think of, what on earth do you do with your money? Does watching bank accounts/investments acrue another zero have the same sense of satisfaction that getting involved in the community would? I'd like to think not.

It seems that most stick their cash into housing and earn a fortune off the (shocking) rent. This obviously has harsh social problems (it puts up the welfare budget, and hinders people yet to get on the property ladder by a) taking supply out of the market and therefore inflating prices and b) hindering saving for a deposit because of the rents). I've spoken about this many times with people and most agree that they go that route if they won the lottery or something like that. Don't understand it myself. Personally, I think I'd like to buy up a load of homes and run them at cost as social housing - put in familes who need homes and who are bumped from place to place every couple of years (which is a shitty way to live). That way your money is safe, its doing good and you're not being a greedy twat. I honestly think I'd get more pleasure out of that than anything else.......

And that's before I've even thought about the charties/projects I'd like to be involved in.....

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

you're a fucking champion bloke, binnie.

i've got a mate who is ridiculously wealthy, his family is looked after for generations to come...
            and he does exactly that housing model you mentioned. and it works well for everyone.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

How 'bout just redistribute your own hard earned wealth to the lazy people ??

Everyone deserves the same amount, right ??

Sent from my iPhone, bitches!

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

It seems that most stick their cash into housing and earn a fortune off the (shocking) rent.
                Ugh. That's what the people with $ here have been doing. "Investment properties". Rents have doubled, and in some cases tripled, in the 6 years I've been here. I can no longer afford a decent place on my own, so I'm stuck with room-mates (yuck!!)

Even then, I don't always have enough for food for the entire month. What's worse is that I have a brother who is a millionaire...he's never offered me a penny, didn't even offer to buy me a meal when we were at our high school reunion. I don't even talk to him anymore...we're not the same "class".
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

'if people would rather have nothing than something, the parliament is quite happy to give them nothing'.

malcolm turnbull. 9/7/12

that bloke would rock as our elected leader.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    How 'bout just redistribute your own hard earned wealth to the lazy people ??

It's amusing but also a bit sad that you use the teachings of Jesus as sarcasm.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS

No-one has said that.

But surely if you - a Christian - became hugely wealthy you would be more than happy to contribute a significant proportion of that wealth to the well being of those less fortunate that you? Wouldn't that be a more rewarding use of your money than just seeing your investments grow?

No

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think Elvis is one of the many people who has the broad definition of Christian as being someone who merely regularly sits in a church and takes part in some rituals.

This is entirely separate and detached from following the broad teachings of the Christ character in the story or it imparting any change to your morality or actions except as a useful excuse to absolve yourself of responsibility for them.

The thing that the Jesus character talks about in the book most is not where you stick your cock it's where you stick your money.

This is not convenient to many Christians so they just ignore it, or give away very small affordable amounts like everyone else.
                        Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-09-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

I was using the 'catch more flies with honey....' approach Sesh.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm less good at that on a Monday.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

No-one has said that.

But surely if you - a Christian - became hugely wealthy you would be more than happy to contribute a significant proportion of that wealth to the well being of those less fortunate that you? Wouldn't that be a more rewarding use of your money than just seeing your investments grow?

No
                              Both would be equally rewarding and I agree with you...

I just think poor people would be better off if the government stopped "helping" them...

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

And it's not where you stick your money...

It's the motive behind where you stick your money and everything you do...

God judges the heart, not the action...

Comment

Working...