X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by baru911
    It saddens me to see people pointing fingers at successful people and hating them because they get paid more than them. I look at them and think they worked harder than most people, they caught the right breaks in life, and put their god given talent in whatever to work. They deserve what they get paid - they worked hard to achieve what they made out of their lives.
    This is what a lot of people still think but the statistics do not back you up. The US has one of the least socially mobile populations in the Western world nowadays. You can work as hard as you like but the chances are that if you are born poor you will not die rich.

The American dream is simple: work hard and move up. As the country emerges from recession, the reality looks ever more complicated

Also as an aside to (1) do you think it's a good thing if you as a taxpayer spend millions of dollars training soldiers so that they can then leave the military, join a security/mercenary company which then charges you the taxpayer 10 times as much to provide the same guy you already trained just so the government can claim less military involvement?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

What is most disturbing to me is half the workers in this country pay no Federal taxes or get a full refund!

People, if you don't pay Federal taxes or YOU get a full refund,YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• tbone888
        Roadie
        • Feb 2012

Most americans dont approach life the way their parents or people did just 20-30 years ago...lots are living way beyond their means. Spending huge amounts of money, monthly, on unnecessary things like 300 channel cable tv, super hi speed internet and smart phones with 4g internet access, dont lend themselves to saving any money. My parents were born in the middle of the great depression in 1 room houses with dirt floors, no running water and no electricity. Neither had anyting but HS educations and worked retail or tech jobs all their lives. They put 2 kids thru college without taking any loan of any kind. At age 50ish (with both kids out of college), they lived off one of their saleries and saved/invested the other. By their early 60's, they had amassed quite a lot of money. Life is full of decisions...living way beyond your means/and/or living week to week, usually never turns out well. Yes, saving money every week/month isnt fun...but its very possible in any economy. It all depends if you want to do it.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by tbone888
          Most americans dont approach life the way their parents or people did just 20-30 years ago...lots are living way beyond their means. Spending huge amounts of money, monthly, on unnecessary things like 300 channel cable tv, super hi speed internet and smart phones with 4g internet access, dont lend themselves to saving any money. My parents were born in the middle of the great depression in 1 room houses with dirt floors, no running water and no electricity. Neither had anyting but HS educations and worked retail or tech jobs all their lives. They put 2 kids thru college without taking any loan of any kind. At age 50ish (with both kids out of college), they lived off one of their saleries and saved/invested the other. By their early 60's, they had amassed quite a lot of money. Life is full of decisions...living way beyond your means/and/or living week to week, usually never turns out well. Yes, saving money every week/month isnt fun...but its very possible in any economy. It all depends if you want to do it.
          I'd agree more with your points if it wasn't completely clear that middle class wages have remained stagnant (at best) since the 1970s while CEO salaries have skyrocketed and the disparity between the haves-and-the-have-nots has increased steadily. Not to mention the trend of the last forty years of privatizing pensions via 401K's, reduction of benefits, etc, despite record corporate profits...
          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-11-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
            What is most disturbing to me is half the workers in this country pay no Federal taxes or get a full refund!

People, if you don't pay Federal taxes or YOU get a full refund,YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!
            Yeah, if only we had less money from the lower-middle classes in the economy, that would solve everything!

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Here use my diagram, I won't look...

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

How many times do you have to be reminded that you're quoting a bullshit talking point? 48% of workers DON'T MAKE ENOUGH to incur federal tax, you moron...so that "part of the problem" is that they're TOO POOR??
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Thirty Companies Paid NO Income Tax

Comment

• tbone888
                    Roadie
                    • Feb 2012

That's another problem with today's society...everyone worries about what someone has and they dont. That menatlity will drive you crazy. Worry about yourself....not about the neighbors new car and esp someone you dont even know on a yacht or in a penthouse. And, save save save...take it from me, it works.

oh, and btw, if your wages are stagnant, better yourself. Get an education. The days of escalating wages, pensions, etc, for basically non skilled labor, are gone.
                    Last edited by tbone888; 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

There's a lot of truth here. The problem however is that in a modern western economy selling people shit they don't need it a big part of the market - people who work in sales sell things to other people who work in sales. Credit and things we don't really need are what sustain economies in an era where manufacture has moved elsewhere.
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Most americans dont approach life the way their parents or people did just 20-30 years ago...lots are living way beyond their means. Spending huge amounts of money, monthly, on unnecessary things like 300 channel cable tv, super hi speed internet and smart phones with 4g internet access, dont lend themselves to saving any money.
                        OK, I'm with you on the 300 channels of cable TV. Especially during the summer months, when NOTHING is on, with the exception of the USA Channel, and maybe a couple shows on TNT or whatever.

But without either high speed internet or a 4G mobile connection, how the Hell would you get to this website?

Dial-up? Sorry... tried that from my technophobic parents' house. It ain't happening. (They don't use it for much other than e-mail, so it works for them, but even routine attachments are a pain in the ass.)

(Not to mention I need that broadband to download what little TV I watch without subscribing to 300 channels of bullshit)
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Seriously...how does anyone not living in a cave - or a VAN BY THE RIVER - function w/o internet access and a smart phone?
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Without the internet where would you get your pron??? Pay for it? No fuckin' way man...
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                              Seriously...how does anyone not living in a cave - or a VAN BY THE RIVER - function w/o internet access and a smart phone?
                              Hell, even ELVIS has an IPhone, and he lives here.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                                Without the internet where would you get your pron??? Pay for it? No fuckin' way man...

I mean, besides that... emails from/for work, gps to find places on the fly...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...