• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

The Government Is Cracking Down on School Bake Sales

National Journal

Barely a month after federal regulations for school cafeterias kicked in, states are already pushing back.

Specifically, they're fighting nutrition standards that would considerably alter one of the most sacred rituals of the American public school system: bake sales.

Twelve states have established their own policies to circumvent regulations in the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 that apply to "competitive snacks," or any foods and beverages sold to students on school grounds that are not part of the Agriculture Department's school meal programs, according to the National Association of State Boards of Education. Competitive snacks appear in vending machines, school stores, and food and beverages, including items sold at bake sales.

Georgia is the latest state to announce an exemption to the federal regulations, which became effective July 1 for thousands of public schools across the country. Its rule would allow 30 food-related fundraising days per school year that wouldn't meet the new healthy nutritional standards, which call for more healthy options and less junk food that could contribute to the nation's child-obesity problem.

The pushback is not about students' taste buds, but their wallets. Food fundraisers are a crucial source of revenue for schools, state education officials say. "Tough economic times have translated into fewer resources and these fundraisers allow our schools to raise a considerable amount of money for very worthwhile education programs," the Georgia Department of Education wrote in a recent press release. "While we are concerned about the obesity epidemic, limiting food-and-beverage fundraisers at schools and school-related events is not the solution to solving it."

Last edited by ELVIS; 07-27-2014, 09:55 PM.
  • fraroc
    Commando
    • Jun 2012

We have this wonderful thing in this country called "civil disobedience"....Hell, it caused the Jim Crow laws to be overturned.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
      We have this wonderful thing in this country called "civil disobedience"....Hell, it caused the Jim Crow laws to be overturned.
      I do believe "civil disobedience" has been replaced with "domestic terrorist"...
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
        We have this thing called "We The People". The citizens own the country. The politicians are hired help. We need to remind them of that.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Are you going to tell us that nutrition is a conspiracy, now? That expressing an interest in the health of children is a bad thing?
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You can take my donuts from my cold, dead hands...

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Most Americans are gonna see that graph and go yum those colours remind me of cake
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by binnie
                Are you going to tell us that nutrition is a conspiracy, now? That expressing an interest in the health of children is a bad thing?
                The government is not our nanny...

We are the government...

WE THE PEOPLE

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS

We are the government...

WE THE PEOPLE
                  It sounds great, but what if 'the people' come up short in certain areas. Let's say - for arguments sake - that the nutritional value of food served in schools is poor and has been for years. The school hasn't done anything about it, and nor have the parents. So, there are two options:

1) allow things to carry on as normal (kids get poor food and risk becoming overweight/unhealthy)

2) some form of authority regulates these things to ensure that children's health improves.

Is 2 really such a bad option? Or would you prefer 1 just to prove the point that 'we don't need to government'?

I guess what I'm struggling to understand is why endeavouring to improve children's health is a bad thing.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister

It's pretty horrifying, isn't it? I wonder how far the UK is behind? Not as far as we'd like......

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah we're nearly as bad.

We're always more like the US than Europe when it comes to all the bad shit like fat, teenage pregnancy, defence spending, Piers Morgan...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We are the government...

WE THE FATTIES
                        fixed...

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

We are the government...

WE THE PEOPLE
                          Yeah, yeah thanks Alex.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Ah, I don't have any problem at all with schools serving healthier choices for meals. But trying to ban bake sales?? Yeah, taking away a few homemade brownies and slices of cake is really gonna make a huge difference over the course of a school year...
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                              I guess what I'm struggling to understand is why endeavoring to improve children's health is a bad thing.
                              Problem with that is whom is doing the improving. If you look at the social structure and status quo of America of the past 30 to 40 years the main reason why so many Americans became so fucking F A T is not such out of laziness but rather convenience. Americans love their greasy, high-caloric as in sugar) and high-carbohydrate food prepared by others and never themselves. The (US) Government doesn't give a a shit about American laziness and/or convenience as they do in finding a way to tax those little F A T shits. So the burden of feeding them falls or more in the way of a kismet to the food industry who process nutrition by chemicalyzing (is that even a word?) it to the point of addiction, stripping it of proper essential nutrients and packing sugar to make it look sexy.

No wonder last year when I had to drive by a local elementary school on the way home due to the roads being washed out to floods was I not surprised that over 60% of the children I saw getting out in the afternoon were not just "obese" they were downright fucking F A T. What was even more sad was how F A T T E R the parents were picking their abomination of children up in minivans instead of making them walk home. Don't call for an argument the parents did this is because some boogeyman would kidnapped and traffic their child because no one would ever want to molest a F A T kid. Americans just love their conveniences that breeds ignorance and stupidly. I mean, how else do shows like Big Bang Theory thrive?

And Trollvis, in his usual gullibility as a result of ignorance, deception, oppression, and weakness by those fucking conspiracy fucks (who are also F A T) that he listens to and forms no opinion of his own is right: it is not government who is to be responsible for the health of its children but should be held reprehensible for letting this go on for so long by allowing cocksuckers like Monsanto and Con Agra decide on what the American populace eats.

Until this starts to become a national health crisis - which it will be in the next 8 to 12 years - with more children being diagnosed by the age of 10 with juvenile onset diabetes and other health related problems due to the shit it consumes only then will the be any change in convenience but I would not hold my breath that there will be a substantial impact. It's just sad to see how many kids are this fucking grossly F A T when there is really no reason for them to be.

Comment

Working...