Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Sounds killer...what was the surprise was how good the neck pickup sounds... very nice!

Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

One can hear the wood-ness...
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Sounds great man. Nice job!
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I must admit, Alnico 5 sounded weird at first, especially since I'm used to having a ceramic at the bridge...
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
            I must admit, Alnico 5 sounded weird at first, especially since I'm used to having a ceramic at the bridge...
            You DO hear a lot about the Custom 5 supposedly sounding too "scooped" on places like the Duncan forum, was wondering how that was gonna work out for you, but IMO sounds good in that guitar!
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Had the intonation properly setup today... Tech guy was very impressed with it.

His comment: "That's a very nice, fat sound you got there..."

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Quick commentary concerning differences between the two...

Tanya:
                -lighter, due to the 7/8 size body
                -slightly more balanced sound, low/mid/high
                -totally different "feel". Hell, I have to bend more than usual... Spring tension issue, I guess.

Wifey:
                -weighs like a Les Paul in comparison
                -more of a low-end emphasis, slighty darker sound
                -tighter "feel" upon bending.

And I wouldn't give either one up... not even for a million, a private island and/or an extended weekend with Jessica Simpson.

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                  You DO hear a lot about the Custom 5 supposedly sounding too "scooped" on places like the Duncan forum, was wondering how that was gonna work out for you, but IMO sounds good in that guitar!
                  My first impression was something along the lines of "quite a porous sound I got here"...

But, man... I had a blast last weekend... Played a couple of gigs.
                  FOH guy says "Ya don't have to touch the settings, that's fuckin' perfect."
                  And I was very happy with the sound, nice and raw... (Albeit, through an Engl Screamer combo)

She's the official "go-to" axe now...

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

So you're 2 for 2 on builds now - congrats!

I may start a thread on the Charvel mutt rebuild once I get the first progress photos from Jeff at RCA...we're still debating which paint shade to go with for the base...found one I liked, but he thinks may be too dark for certain subtle shading I want, so I went back and looked at Dupli-Color shades again...turns out the only other shade close to what I'm looking for (in stock yesterday, at least) is what turned out to be a metallic primer...which was new to me, didn't know they even made primers in metallic colors!

And hey, you mentioned a spring tension issue...imagining you already checked to see if the bridge is pitched correctly (horizontal with the face of the guitar's recess) or does it sit slightly forward or back slightly when not in use? That can make the action feel funky...
                    Last edited by jhale667; 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                      So you're 2 for 2 on builds now - congrats!

I may start a thread on the Charvel mutt rebuild once I get the first progress photos from Jeff at RCA...we're still debating which paint shade to go with for the base...found one I liked, but he thinks may be too dark for certain subtle shading I want, so I went back and looked at Dupli-Color shades again...turns out the only other shade close to what I'm looking for (in stock yesterday, at least) is what turned out to be a metallic primer...which was new to me, didn't know they even made primers in metallic colors!
                      That's new to me...

And hey, you mentioned a spring tension issue...imagining you already checked to see if the bridge is pitched correctly (horizontal with the face of the guitar's recess) or does it sit slightly forward or back slightly when not in use? That can make the action feel funky...
                      Oh, it's horizontal, alright... I'm just used to stiffer action.
                      It could also be a case of the bridge going forward a bit while bending. I'll get around that...

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

'Been thinking about switching neck pickups lately...

Not that the current one (Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2) isn't great, it just seems a bit spiky at times.
                        Might need something a bit more subdued... HS-3?

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                          'Been thinking about switching neck pickups lately...

Not that the current one (Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2) isn't great, it just seems a bit spiky at times.
                          Might need something a bit more subdued... HS-3?
                          I had an HS-3 in my H/S Strat when I first built it in '90, it was great for Yngwie-esque speedy runs, but it's clean tone left something to be desired. Kinda the opposite effect with the current Duncan STK-S1N in the Koa Strat...great cleans, not quite as cool for blazing solos. I'm trying an original Heavy Blues (which I've read some still prefer over the 2) in the Charvel rebuild.

Have you considered the new Duncan Yngwie "Fury" model yet? Supposedly way more toneful than the HS-3s.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

I'll check it out. Haven't found a decent clip on youtube yet, though... Too much string noise...

Comment

• Coyote
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Well...

Comment

• jhale667
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

They definitely sound a little gainer than the HS-3, that's for sure...decent sounding tone, but it's hard to tell on the tiny computer speakers I can't blast in my office... Will let ya know how the original Heavy Blues works out this evening...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...