Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

In other news, I'm seriously considering swapping some speakers in the cab...

As you can hear here. (Finally, a Laney clip... )
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
      In other news, I'm seriously considering swapping some speakers in the cab...

As you can hear here. (Finally, a Laney clip... )
      NICE!
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Meh, not bad for a Behringer cab (or an iPhone recording)...

Eminence Legends, on the list...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Meh, not bad for a Behringer cab (or an iPhone recording)...

Eminence Legends, on the list...
          That's an iPhone recording? And here I was wondering what kind of weird reverb you'd put on the track... yeah, it's a new one called "ACTUAL room".
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
            That's an iPhone recording? And here I was wondering what kind of weird reverb you'd put on the track... yeah, it's a new one called "ACTUAL room".
            Pretty much... With a touch of "living room", just to spice it up...

I've been checking out them Eminence Wizards lately. Supposedly they're a take on the Heritage G12H's...
            Seeing as I plan to swap out 2 speakers (placing the new ones in a x-pattern), they might add a bit of (much needed) low-end thump to those "slap-in-the-face" mids already present.

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Dammit. Due to a revelation, it's pickup swap time again...

As lovely and huge as the Super 3 sounds (especially for jazzier stuff, amazingly) I've found myself adding upper mids (5khz or 6.3kHz, to be exact) to the sound while recording anything "rock".
              Why? 'Cause it just didn't cut through the mix.
              Tried re-recording one track with The Wife (Duncan Custom @ bridge)... And I didn't have to do a goddamn thing to it, beyond adjusting the levels. Sits perfectly.

So, for the past week, I've been abusing Google to find a suitable replacement. After pondering the results, a Duncan Distortion SH-6 seems correct.
              The clincher was this quote from the Duncan board: "Maybe you can describe the DD as a mix of Super Distortion and JB, you can play tight rhythm and screamy leads in the same pickup."
              (And a couple of other comparisons between SH-6 and a Gibson 500T.)

Funny thing is, originally the SH-6 was the pickup I thought of for the second build. But I was in some weird "must be versatile for jazz-rock-fusion" frame of mind back then.

To be continued...

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

DDs are way more versatile than people give them credit for... I still want to try a DD8 someday. Will be interested to hear how your swap turns out!

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

I'm certain it's gonna be spectacular. C'mon, if it was good for Rhoads & Lynch, it's gotta be at least adequate for me...

Tone-wise, though, I guess it'll be a more muscular Custom. IIRC, you had one too?

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I'm certain it's gonna be spectacular. C'mon, if it was good for Rhoads & Lynch, it's gotta be at least adequate for me...

Tone-wise, though, I guess it'll be a more muscular Custom. IIRC, you had one too?

Yep, had 'em in both of my main guitars early on... they sound killer. A little more muscular and angry-sounding compared to the Custom, which even though it's high output, has a bit more of the "vintage" vibe...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                      A little more muscular and angry-sounding compared to the Custom, which even though it's high output, has a bit more of the "vintage" vibe...
                      Yeah, sounds like my pickup...

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I think you'll like it.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

It's in the mail...

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Can't wait for the review.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Alright... First impressions.

After recording a comparison clip, I couldn't hear the difference at first.
                              Both seemed like hot 'n' chunky pickups.

Now that I hear it, the most noticeable difference between a Super 3 and a SH-6 is that "signature sound" between the two brands.
                              (Imagine two gymrats. Both have a sixpack, but the other one focused on lower body workouts, while the other one did upper body workouts and a bit more cardio.)

Clean (especially straight into the board), the differences are minor, with the Super 3 having a bit more lower-end frequencies available, giving it a slightly fuller sound. Kinda like a great neck pickup.
                              Distorted, both pickups have a similar character. Super 3 has that "oomph" going for it, but the SH-6 has that upper-mid frequency spike which just cuts through. (Albeit, sacrificing some low-end for it.)
                              Natural harmonics seem to come out easier with the Super 3... But that's easily remedied by re-adjusting my technique.

When messing around and switching pickups, no contest:
                              The Super 3/Heavy Blues 2 combo sounds like there's just one pickup. Little to no variation in tone. (HB vs SC, yes, but you get the idea)
                              SH-6 & HB2 seem to complement each other pretty well, thanks to that Duncan upper-mid spike. And I guess that's what I was missing...

Now, if I were the same guy I was a couple of years ago, I might say "I don't have to chase the tone anymore". But I'll just shut up and play. (after I fix the mid-position phase weirdness.)

Comment

• jhale667
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Funny, the upper-mid spike you describe sounds more like a JB than a Custom, but glad it worked out for you. If you decide you wanna go nuts later, maybe I could send you one of my spare A8 magnets. I swapped the ceramic out of the Custom in my No 1 Charvel mutt and never looked back. It's everything the Custom is with a better split lead voicing IMO. I'm still digging the '59/Custom Hybrid in the Bomber for the most part, and the JB in Excalibur is reeeeally growing on me, but the Custom 8 is most likely staying in No 1.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...