X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

actually, I guess I was next to VaBeach.

shit there was beer involved, it's fuzzy.

I was staring into the sun talking to pojo most of the afternoon, until my dumb ass decided to slide into the shade; that much I do remember
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Part 8a: THE FUCKING SHOW

Alright...so they stop...

finally...and the crowd fucking erupted again...

I mean...You Really Got Me...I'm the One...Running With the Devil...

Now, Va and I had been singing the entire time...I had a headache already from yelling...I'm already drained...AND IT'S BEEN THREE FUCKING SONGS...

Then Dave swaggers over to the middle of the stage, looks out to the crowd...the lights come up, and he screams...

"LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT...YEAH..."

And man...you thought the fucking show was buzzing before...bam...the saying that most people think as an afterthought at this point...the place erupted...

then Dave pauses...and he voice cracking...he says..."YOU HAVE NO IDEA, WHAT AN HONOR, OR A PRIVELEDGE IT IS TO BE HERE TONIGHT"

I was speachless. For five years, I've been pissed off...utterly pissed off that these fuckers didn't give a flying fuck about the fans...and in one statement...you fucking realize that they DO give a shit about the fans...

The crowd went off...and before you could catch your fucking breath from that, bam...Romeo Delight, and Dave starts rolling into the Karate that he continued the rest of the night.

Eddie and Wolfie were rolling together...and BOTH were finger tapping...it's also the first time I noticed Ed's low-top Chuck Taylor's.

Dave walked over to Wolfie's side during Romeo Delight while they were singing...and keeps looking over at Wolfie...and says..."This is called building tension..."

To show off Wolfie a bit...and he hit every note with Dave...

As the song finished off...Dave grabbed the harmonica...and a megaphone...and started playing the harmonica into the megaphone. As Ed rips into Somebody Get Me a Doctor...Dave...and I don't know how many folks heard it...but he started playing the siren off the megaphone...I was laughing my ass off...because you could see Dave was just fucking around...laughing HIS ass off...

In the middle of the tune...again...Dave and Ed meet in the middle of the stage...and Dave starts singing...with Ed matching his singing...they had done it earlier...in You Really Got me...

Here we were...at the fifth song...and I was already thinking this was, if not the BEST show I'd been too...the most FUN I'd had at a show...I couldn't cheer...because I was laughing so damn hard watching Ed and fucking Dave play off each other...it was magic...me wise magic I suppose you could say...

I want to predicate the next portion...by telling you that I'm not a fan of Dance the Night Away...which they played next...but now I see why the fucking played it.

Like Running With the Devil...the fans jumped right into it...and were singing it word for word...

Dave went right to Eddie's side...again...and had a yellow and black Mad Hatter hat. Dave walked up to the front of the stage...and sticks the black hat on his dick...and there was some kinda rigging or something...because Dave let go of the hat...and it stayed right there...on his dick...

Glad my girl wasn't there...

anyways...Dave is fucking posing with the hat on his dick...making muscle poses...funny shit. Wolfie had run behind him, and they finished the song, after some lyric play with the crowd.

At the start of the Atomic Punk, they had the Eddie Cam rolling, and Eddie was shredding. Here's the thing folks. When you've seen Eddie as much as I have...you know when he's playing, or just dialing it in. Folks, he was playing. The energy was unfuckingbelievable from Ed. He was fucking feeling it...you know...mouth moving with every note...but his body was just vibrating with the music...as he played...it's hard to explain...but if any of you have seen Ed dial it in (anything in the past 6 years), you could tell...it was back.

I don't know if it's been sobriety...or Dave...or both...but Ed's back folks...

Ed's fucking back.

You all know that I haven't called Ed...Ed in years...I'm done with all that...

Welcome back Eddie...Welcome back...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Guitar Shark
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Much appreciated POJ... (and everyone else)..

Keep em coming!!
        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

It must have been a surreal experience... like watching a ghost from the past.

Comment

• WARF
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

It must have been a surreal experience... like watching a ghost from the past.

And watching Wolfie onstage... I mean could imagine being 16 and playing onstage with DAVID LEE FUCKING ROTH?!?!

Here's a dude who went from being spotted at a Britney Spears concert... and the little baby of Valerie Bertinelli... to the fucking bass player for Van Halen!

Could you imagine the fucking pressure. Does he even realize how much this music means to the REAL fans.

We're Talking about a kid who wasn't even alive when "A Little Ain't Enough" came out.

Comment

• WARF
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Here's my only problem with the new band. I say put out a fucking album after the tour. If the magic is still there... then make a fucking album! The first six albums were fthe fucking soundtrack to my life... now it's time to see if the magic is still there in the studio... I mean... no more fucking nostalgia acts like a fucking POISON or WINGER tour. I want new material after this. I want new Van Halen music in my fucking cd player!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Part 8B: THE MOTHERFUCKING SHOW

They are shredding through Atomic Punk...and Wolfie takes the opportunity to Eddie strut down the S-ramp zinging out about 20 picks...hitting hands along the way...

While Wolfie was doing this...Ed and Dave were side by side again...

and it dawned on me...again...

without Mike there...it really is the Ed and Dave show. I'm not putting down the drummer...but he's pretty non-existant anyways...

and Wolfie...is 16. He's there...and he's good...

but it really is Ed and Dave...so they are sitting there...and Ed can't come down the ramp...because he's wired up...and isn't on remote...

But Ed watched his boy for a bit...then went back to the Ed and Dave show...and there they were again...

When Wolfie came back...Dave walked with him to the front of the drum-riser...singing together for a moment...and there was Alex...smiling at the both of them...

If nothing else...Wolfie looked completely comfortable...and relaxed at that point...

Really, the whole band did.

They broke into Everybody Wants Some, and all three, Ed, Dave and Wolfie were together...Dave singing...the rest playing...all feeding off of one another...they split up, and Eddie then turned around...and ran over to Wolfie, to sing with him...

But this song seemed off a bit. I don't know if this was when the technical issues started, but Ed made a couple of, what I thought were mistakes...but then I noticed him gesturing over to someone...and pointing to his pedal, others noticed this at other parts of the show...so something was probably wrong. Still, the song rocked...and watching the three interacting was something to see...it was just odd watching Ed and Dave performing with a 16 year old...but Dave has often had younger musicians in his band...so this wasn't odd for him...

and Wolfie is good...

In the middle of this tune is when Eddie and Dave did their motorcycle battle. If you haven't heard about it yet...it was fucking funny as hell...Dave starts making moto noises with his mouth...and Ed starts DOING IT with his guitar. Dave does it a second time, and Ed just bursts on top of him, and blows him out of the water...Dave looks over at him, and says..."I can't beat that..."

Then the music stops...and Dave stares out in the crowd...and does...

NOTHING...

and he had 20,000 people eating out of his fucking hand. There he fucking was...Dave...

and he was back...

and anyone that says he's fucking selling out is a fucking joke to a Roth fan...and certainly...a joke to this board. At that point, you could see that this was Dave. This was his moment.

Since the show...I've looked up some comments...and I think it was Steve Lukather that said Dave was shredding people during the rehearsals...sound guys...light guys...the techs...hammering the fuck out of them...that comment about Dave shredding someone...for not doing their job...then walking over to Ed, saying something...them both laughing...and giving each other a high five...

that says something to me...

They bust back into the song...and eD starts busting into his scissor kicks...AND THAT brings over Dave...again...as they finish the song on the same side of the stage...

While Wolfie goes over to Al...and gets up on the side of the riser. They both start playing...Ed joins in...

So This is Love...and it felt like the first lull of the concert...but the crowd was still up and rolling...

First Eddie strolled over to Dave...and was singing off his mic...than Dave walked back over to Ed...and they were singing off his mic...

Are you getting the point here...they were side by side most of the night...

Then...Dave karate'd over to Wolfie...and they were singing together on the front of the ramp...before wolfie ran back down to his own mic.

The lights went down...and Dave ran over to Ed...and the two were whispering together about something. I was guessing it was something about the tech setup...

Then Ed ripped into the start of Mean Street...

Dave was there...and started singing on that side of the stage. The fuckers over there were really given a treat all night...because Dave was there 75% of the time...which was fine...because WE were over there.

Ed, Wolfie were on the ramp...singing with Dave again during Mean Streat...as David went up the side of the ramp....to get to the other fans...he did a nice job noodling with the fans that were close.

So...this fucking prick in front of me keeps looking over at this little fucking piece of paper, and I can't figure out what the fuck it is...and he kept fucking turning on his fucking dumbass cellphone to look at it...fucking 5150 faggot...

Then I realized what it was...

a setlist...a fucking set list...he didn't know the songs...and here's the topper...

in mid song...this faggot goes to get a beer...in the middle of his concert...

which is when I spilled MY warm beer (yeah you sick fucks...it was actual beer), on this chicks monster tits...right down the cleavage...she looked up and giggled...the whore...she knows the difference between a Roth fan and a Hagar fan...

boy they were big...to bad the shirt wasn't white...

He brought A FUCKING SET LIST...

While all of this was going on...Wolfie hauled ass up to the top again...yeah...he looked stiff as a board alright (sarcasm button)...

At the end of the tune...Dave rolled...

"Is Everybody having a good time so far!!!!"

Time for the Alex solo...

yeah...I'm going for piss too...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Warf...I said that very sentence at least 20 times that night...

surreal describes it a whole bunch...

ESPECIALLY with Wolfie there...

I know we've all thought...

Wolfie's going to have a band someday...maybe called Van Halen...

or Wolfgang...or

Amadeus...or some shit like that...

and there he was...

and I remember sitting there thinking...I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE HE'S 16...

wow...

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                    Here's my only problem with the new band. I say put out a fucking album after the tour. If the magic is still there... then make a fucking album!
                    Couldn't agree more... especially from what I've seen so far.
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• WARF
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Pojo,

I'm gonna drive up Raleigh and murder you, if I don't find out what happens to the 5150 setlist toolbag tonight! lol

Comment

• chi-town324
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Feb 2007

JFC....i feel like i have already seen it ...great review my man...you have skills...keep it comin!!

Comment

• chi-town324
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Feb 2007

15 days to Chicago!!!

Comment

• Ellyllions
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2006

He. brought. a. fucking. set. list?
                            You're kidding, right?
                            "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

No...I'm not kidding...

He had it...in his fucking hand...

don't worry...

Va saved the day...because I was about to fucking kill him...

That's coming up though...

Now...realize...Va's been quite the whole night...and when I say quiet...I mean...completely focused on the show...

So have I....but I keep seeing this shit out of my periphery...and he knows me well enough to get pissed off...and get in a fucking brawl...

Now...Va...he's a lot more to the point about it...I'm like a pan full of water that's about to boil.

Va's just a matter of fact about it...

But more on that later...

the fun's about to begin...!!!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                                Part 3: Big Dogs

Biteyoass--Also there with his girl...and also extremely knowledgable about VH...he rolled out early after throwing down a few...to check out the lot, and the early crowd.
                                Hey, to date I've seen Dave solo and =VH= both once. Now compared to everyone else there, I'm just a Novice when it comes to =VH= even though I've been on the RothArmy since it first began. Hell my fiancee saw Dave in concert three times before I met her and has a shitload of solo memorabilia. But compared to people in my age bracket, I'm way fuckin ahead of em'. BTW I was downing Coca-Cola and didn't wanna risk castration by drinking beer. Ahh, the power of Pussy! Yeah, come on sing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUtNGe0br2E LOL

Comment

Working...