• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
    don't you have enough aliases...
    I'm aiming for five aliases by next summer. Then I'll be satisfied. My next one will be DavidLeeNaTTra.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by Rikk
      Yes, and it's awfully salty these days.

BTW, how's your featured user gig going at CHELLE's these days? That hamster character sure is hilarious. All seven of them over there are very excited at your popularity...among the seven. Are you posting frequently in their Van Hagar tour thread that is the most popular forum there?

How are you enjoying your visit here?
      Perhaps you can tell me a little something about the

Hamilton Van Hagar show so I have something to post over there.

I haven't actually posted there for months.

Did you have a good time upstairs at your Mom's for Christmas??

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
        Thanks Natra! Tell ya what, let's split the money the same way Classic Halen split the talent: 97% for you, 97% for me.
        here we go :bottle:
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
          I haven't actually posted there for months.
          So you're claiming you haven't posted there for months but you're the featured user of the month at a site that features VAN HAGAR? How does that work?:p Did they also write the shitty and unfunny article quoted to you there?
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Okay, time for the thread to get back on track.

Do I honestly love and respect Eddie's playing? Abb-Zuh-fucking-lutely! He broke much ground before he was blanded down by Van Hagar's "lowering the bar."

But the first time I recollect hearing Van Halen, it was "Pretty Woman" blaring on the radio when I was eleven, and it was Dave's voice and 'car-asthma' that sold me on it! There was no wiz-bang guitar solo on that one! It was the spontaneity of turning a Roy Orbison classic into something new and a little different.

I have no doubt realistically that Ed would have had some success without Roth, but it would have sort of been more like a Mountain or Ted Nugent kind of cult status than what we know today to be Classic Van Halen or Van Hagar. Dave, largely single-handedly, marketed this band during the era of disco and the era of nauseating mello AM radio. He grabbed attention, and forced people to hold it long enough to notice Ed!

Comment

• Brett
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I agree 100% with that. I think Ed would have done more than Ted Nugent though, he's just a better player and far greater musician than Ted.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Yes, but one thing Ted had that Ed didn't was some form of charisma. In the late 70s (not that I remember, I was a baby), Ted's image was half the show...swinging from a rope, firing his crossbow at a flaming target. Ed has absolutely zero charisma as a performer. The material would have been pretty pedestrian with someone else singing (IMO). It could have been okay, but it possibly could have ended up sounding like JOURNEY if anyone other than Roth had been on it. Hell, listen to VAN HAGAR. That's the band suddenly without Roth and having no problem sounding like a lot of other bands on the radio.
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Big Troubles
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Feb 2004

Yes, but one thing Ted had that Ed didn't was some form of charisma. In the late 70s (not that I remember, I was a baby), Ted's image was half the show...swinging from a rope, firing his crossbow at a flaming target. Ed has absolutely zero charisma as a performer. The material would have been pretty pedestrian with someone else singing (IMO). It could have been okay, but it possibly could have ended up sounding like JOURNEY if anyone other than Roth had been on it. Hell, listen to VAN HAGAR. That's the band suddenly without Roth and having no problem sounding like a lot of other bands on the radio.
                  Agreed, but Ed's shtick sold well as a shy, quiet guy, that the girls wanted to be with. Plus, as quiet as he was, he was amazingly the opposite when he played. Ted was loud on and off stage. Too much screamin'! lol I like Ted, but Ed kicks his ass, then and now. If that's what this thread is about?
                  "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Troubles
                    Agreed, but Ed's shtick sold well as a shy, quiet guy, that the girls wanted to be with. Plus, as quiet as he was, he was amazingly the opposite when he played. Ted was loud on and off stage. Too much screamin'! lol I like Ted, but Ed kicks his ass, then and now. If that's what this thread is about?
                    LOL. Hard to say what this thread is about anymore.

The thing is, Ed only got noticed as the shy, quiet guy because he was standing next to Roth. Without a brilliant showman like Roth, he only would have been noticed because of his playing. I do think the band would have been inevitably signed. But I also think they would have been a two or three album band with a few limited hits but none of the impact. That said, Roth also was responsible for pulling them out of the backyards and into the clubs. Maybe they would have stayed there without him.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Ed needs a persona to reflect off of to find one of his own! Either that or he needs intense anger to get his ass moving.

He's like the annoying friend that can't talk to anyone else at a party, so he hangs out and annoys his one, and only, friend!

His introversion, which he has admitted to in several interviews, has more than anything else contributed to his alcoholism.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

So you're claiming you haven't posted there for months but you're the featured user of the month at a site that features VAN HAGAR? How does that work?:p Did they also write the shitty and unfunny article quoted to you there?
                        I emailed it to them idiot after they asked for it.

In fact if you have seen it, you have been there more recently than

me.:p

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

You of all people shouldn't be talking about posting at a Hagar site

fatty. How many posts have you made at the links again??

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

I emailed it to them idiot after they asked for it.

In fact if you have seen it, you have been there more recently than

me.:p
                            No, my "friend", a friend of mine here PM'd me and told me about it, with a link and an LOL. You're so pathetic. It's all there for anyone to see. You don't think they'd make you a featured user unless you were a prominent member of the community, would you?
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

No, my "friend", a friend of mine here PM'd me and told me about it, with a link and an LOL. You're so pathetic. It's all there for anyone to see. You don't think they'd make you a featured user unless you were a prominent member of the community, would you?
                              Fuck you are so full of shit you insecure little fat man!

Lies lies lies.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

You of all people shouldn't be talking about posting at a Hagar site

fatty. How many posts have you made at the links again??
                                Again, my "friend", I can't agree with the content at the Links, idiot. That's why I post here. Of course, it's not all the mods' fault that Sam was in the band recently (and probably isn't), but there are too many morons there to post now.

Also, idiot, do you even remember 2000-2001 when pretty much 80% of the posters there were pretty much Davers? Of course you don't. I got in trouble enough for attacking Ched Heads there. In fact, I was always getting told off for it. Ask your "enemy", Brett.

You get your ass handed to you on a platter by so many people at this site, you run off to CHELLE's Van Hagar site and play out your little hamster character, even bitching about what this place has turned into, and then when our mutual "friend" comes back, you return and act all pro-Roth again? Sure.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...