Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

NEW YORK, March 12 -- Two of the biggest rock bands of the 1980s took different paths to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday -- indie favorites R.E.M. with a happy reunion, and party band Van Halen with a fragmentary turnout.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Adds Hip-Hop To the Mix
    Associated Press
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007; Page C05

NEW YORK, March 12 -- Two of the biggest rock bands of the 1980s took different paths to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday -- indie favorites R.E.M. with a happy reunion, and party band Van Halen with a fragmentary turnout.

Otherwise, the event took on a New York flavor with the girl-group sound of Spanish Harlem's the Ronettes, downtown poet Patti Smith and South Bronx's Grandmaster Flash, the first hip-hop act so honored.

R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe and Patti Smith at yesterday's induction. (By Seth Wenig -- Associated Press)

Easy Does It
    The Reliable Source
    America Helps Itself to the Bard
    Robert MacNeil and The Cudgel of Culture
    That Winehouse Buzz? Believe It
    Style Section

Save & Share Article What's This?

DiggGoogle
    del.icio.usYahoo!
    RedditFacebook

The rock hall's 22nd annual induction ceremony was the first beamed live to the world, through VH1 Classic and AOL.com.

Out of Athens, Ga., R.E.M. largely invented the college rock scene in the 1980s with songs like "Radio Free Europe," then became mainstream stars behind hits "Losing My Religion" and "Everybody Hurts."

"R.E.M.'s music is truly all-encompassing," said Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, who inducted them. "They used every color on the palette, they invented colors on their own and they put up this huge mural of music and sound and emotion." Vedder said singer Michael Stipe's voice touched his heart even though, in the early years, he couldn't understand a word he was singing.

R.E.M performed again Monday with its original quartet, welcoming back drummer Bill Berry, who left the band in 1997 after suffering an aneurysm onstage two years earlier.

Only Van Halen's second lead singer, Sammy Hagar, and ex-bass player Michael Anthony turned up for their induction. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has just gone into rehab and original lead singer David Lee Roth stayed away in a tiff over what he would perform.

Hagar said he wished his band mates could be there, but "it's out of our control."

"It's hard for Mike and I to be up here to do this, but you couldn't have kept me away from this with a shotgun," he said.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five represented the first of what may someday be many hip-hop artists in the hall, whose museum is located in Cleveland. Flash's turntable-scratching techniques and the memorable refrain of "The Message" -- "Don't push me 'cause I'm close to the edge" -- were recalled.

Hunched over a podium, rapper Jay-Z read his induction speech off a PDA. "Thirty years later rappers have become rock stars, movie stars, leaders, educators, philanthropists, even CEOs," he said. "None of this would have been possible without the work of these men."

Fighting back tears as she accepted the honor, Smith recalled friends and family who didn't live to see the day. Shortly before he died, Smith's husband Fred "Sonic" Smith asked her when she did make the hall of fame to "please accept it like a lady and not to say any curse words."

The bohemian poet straddled the hippie and punk eras, with her album "Horses" setting a standard for literate rock. She performed her biggest hit, "Because the Night," co-written with Bruce Springsteen, and the Rolling Stones' classic "Gimme Shelter."

With jewelry dangling from his hair, Keith Richards inducted the Ronettes, the girl group that sang 1960s-era pop symphonies like "Be My Baby" and "Baby I Love You." He recalled hearing them the first time on a tour together in England. "They could sing all their way right through a wall of sound," Richards said. "They didn't need anything. They touched my heart right there and then, and they touch it still."

Lead singer Ronnie Spector thanked a list of people from Cher to Springsteen to her publicist -- but made no mention of ex-husband Phil Spector, the producer whose gigantic "wall of sound" is synonymous with the act and whose trial for the murder of an actress at his mansion is due to start next week.

Hall officials paid tribute to one of the institution's founders, record executive Ahmet Ertegun, who died in December. One of his top artists at Atlantic, Aretha Franklin, sang the first million-seller she made with Ertegun, "I Never Loved a Man (the Way I Love You)."
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• if6was9
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by 6 is 9
      i know i already said it but david lee roth made the right decision by not going without either eddie or alex van halen. it was just the other half joke show.
      Absolutely!

Firstly - he couldn't agree to discredit Van Halen by singing alone with these loosers from Velvet Revolver.

Secondly - he couldn't agree to accept the reward on behalf of Van Halen, while "The Other Falf" would perform "on behalf of Van Halen".

BTW, 6 is 9 - I've just realized my nick is quite similar to yours. Sorry, I didn't browse through the members list before registration.
      Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• PlexiBrown
        Commando
        • Mar 2006

This.
        And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• PlexiBrown
          Commando
          • Mar 2006

They should have had Gary there too. Then it would have been all of the former members of Van Halen there.
          And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• PlexiBrown
            Commando
            • Mar 2006

Velvet Revolver performed in place of Van Halen and without Roth. Frontman Scott Weiland explained the ensuing controversy: "We were asked to perform. Kinda what happened was, he wanted to sing the song 'Jump.' We felt from an artistic standpoint, and I'm being totally honest with you, that it wasn't a song we felt comfortable with. We don't have keyboards. To bring a keyboard on stage wouldn't work for us. We said we'd do "Janie's Cryin'" or "You Really Got Me," and he was adamant that wasn't okay."
            So why didn't Dave just do Jump with Paul Schaffer and his band? Spam and Mike were up there playing with Schaffer.

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hitch1969©
              come on guys... unstick the other one and hook this nigga thread up PROPA™

who is hitch1969?

No wuckin forries..

Shall hook you up...

If this was as fucked up as you are all describing, Dave made
              the right choice. Do you think Ozzy gives a fuck ? Do you think
              Johhny Rotten gives a fuck ??? Do you think Eddie gives
              a fuck ??

Legends, all of them..
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Thats Rock and Roll !!

You take it from the system, they tell the system what
                to do..
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• if6was9
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Mar 2007

I'm pretty sure Dave didn't intend to perform at all. It was a "VH or nothing" alternative from the very beginning, so it seems this whole Reunion bullshit is not a bullshit at all (I hope so, having in mind that Dave never hesitated to perform VH songs with ANY bands in the past). Asking Velvet Revolver to play "Jump" was just a joke. These guys are so serious about their R'n'R rebellious image, that is was absolutely clear they would not agree to play a laidback and un-r'n'r song like this. Jerks!

Comment

• BottomLine65
                    Roadie
                    • Feb 2006

There are a few things on this earth that make me sick: my ex-wife, spoiled milk and beets. There are a few things I am afraid of: needles, bats (the flying mammals) and something bad happening to a loved one or friend.
                    What was on my channel 143 last night (vh1 classic), was all the above. If I had a choice of having to watch that again, I would rather sit in a chair of needles with bats in my hair, eating beets, drinking spoiled milk and having that creature of an ex-wife give me a lap-dance in a g-string.
                    What a total disrespect for an American ICON of an American rock and roll band: VAN HALEN. Your favorite team can choke during a championship game, they somehow will rebound in time. This? The only word that describes what spammy and mike, velvet revolver (I loved that band up to about 6 hours ago), that sham rarhof and vh1 did is: ABORTION....(I kept thinking of the Sex Pistols song Bodies)
                    Holy fucking shit!!!!! Sex Pistols were right last year and David Lee Roth was right this year. I've seen car wrecks better than that pile of crap.
                    Say what you will about Eddie Van Halen, he didn't deserve that. His music being butchered. Dave, to have his song shit on and that ass bag hagar even mentioning his name was disgusting...
                    WOW!!!! I'm shocked.....

Comment

• Ice Cream Girl
                      Roadie
                      • Apr 2006

The Employee Recognitions Awards where the only 2 employees who showed up were the ones who got fired....

When Sammy said that nobody could have kept him away with a shotgun, I realized that he'd never read posts on the Roth Army.

Scott Weiland's voice sounded like shit.

Slash fucked up "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" within the first 2 seconds.

Sammy said Velvet Revolver is the best rock band left on the planet? And not Van Halen? Because he's not in it?

Oh no. Here comes Sam and Mike with Paul Schaffer. "Why Can't I Be Deaf?"

I hope Eddie didn't watch this. It's enough to make you want a drink.

Comment

• if6was9
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ice Cream Girl
                        Oh no. Here comes Sam and Mike with Paul Schaffer. "Why Can't I Be Deaf?"
                        I've just spitted coffee on my keyboard!

Comment

• 6 is 9
                          Groupie
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by if6was9
                          BTW, 6 is 9 - I've just realized my nick is quite similar to yours. Sorry, I didn't browse through the members list before registration.
                          hey, the numbers 6 and 9 are not only a great position but a great song. please dont sweat it because i'm more of a lurker anyways. i dont post much. thanks anyways.
                          "Who can tell what's going to happen in the years to come? We take it day by day, here today, gone later today. You don't stop and worry. You don't stop, look in the rearview mirror and say "Did I do this right?" People who always look in the rearview mirror tend to swerve off the road. I'm sorry but the rearview mirror is like sitting up there for one reason... It's an object so that you can tilt the mirror, look at yourself and see how cool you are when you're getting somewhere.

That's pure Zen man..." - DLR, 1982

Comment

• glensfallspaul
                            Roadie
                            • Oct 2004

I thought the Beatles induction was bad years ago, where McCartney refused to show up to avoid a "phony reunion." It was an insult to the fans.

Now, we've supposedly got a VH reunion, but none of those guys even show up. Again, an insult.

Kiss fans, just wait until their induction, when Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer accept.

A travesty.

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jay_are
                              The Hall of fame was a joke. Why be part of a ruining of a legacy.
                              That was shot down long before this years HoF induction.

Comment

• Ellyllions
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by PlexiBrown
                                That was a joke!! Velvet Revolver was horrible and that "version" of Runaround was beyond sad. I think that Mike and Sammy performing was a spontaneous thing because of how much Velvet Revolver sucked. I think Velvet Revolver was pissed because of the way things leading up to everything transpired and that version of Runaround was an intentional mockery.
                                Velvet Revolver also inducted the Sex Pistols who only sent a letter to accept. And if I remember correctly the letter was quite nasty.
                                "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

Working...