A Statement Of Fact Regarding Roth Army And The Mighty Van Halen.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The best musical partnerships always contain at least a little bit of musical competition between the partners. Paul McCartney wrote some great stuff when he had to compete with John & George for time on the records, and when John was there to help him filter out the worst of it. And Paul served the same function for Lennon. Both of them moved on with their wives as musical collaborators, and it wasn't the same quality control at all, especially in McCartney's case, and by 1976 or so, he was putting out mostly crap songs. In retrospect, John taking 5 years off to raise Sean probably was a great thing for his songwriting. Sadly, we'll never know what kind of a writer he would have been after Double Fantasy.

Similar thing with the Dave/Eddie partnership. They challenged each other to produce the best material. Hagar didn't challenge Ed at all (Cherone wasn't even allowed to try) and Dave had "musical chairs" scenario with his guitarists, so none of them stuck around long enough to develop a true creative partnership.

Can the Roth/Van Halen partnership recover? Guess we will all find out in a few months.......
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• patt5150
      Full On Cocktard
      • Jun 2004

Very nice to hear!

@ Hardrock69

Maybe we'll stick around afterall, thanks for the kind, harsh words about Ed (lol). The hostility toward Ed is sometimes overwhelming at this site, but it all seems to stem from a love for their music and the incredible desire for more. Don't worry, tune in to CBS on November 30th at 10:00 and your hostility and anger should subside considerably! VIVA VAN HALEN!!!

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Eddie is good with David. And Eddie is good all by himself. When he is not doing something with Dave he should compose (and release) that is IF he can. He might have signed "a shoulda thought twice" contract that affects his solo works.
        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patt5150
          @ Hardrock69

Maybe we'll stick around afterall, thanks for the kind, harsh words about Ed (lol). The hostility toward Ed is sometimes overwhelming at this site, but it all seems to stem from a love for their music and the incredible desire for more. Don't worry, tune in to CBS on November 30th at 10:00 and your hostility and anger should subside considerably! VIVA VAN HALEN!!!
          That depends. If I see Wolfy onstage, I am not going to be quite so thrilled.

In the meantime, piss off.
          Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-07-2011, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
            I honestly believe Ed Van Halen stopped caring about being a hot as shit guitarist right after Dave Roth left the band. From that point forward, the flashy, highly expressive, fun and at times evil side of his psych went right out the window, replaced by some odd need for respect and/or admiration as a composer, of all things. Next thing ya know, "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" gets replaced by an unending series of morose-sounding power ballads, that fit in perfectly beside Sammy Hagar's wheelhouse of hack songwriting.

The thing is, Ed's playing (like Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top) is highly idiosyncratic, but has all the range of a Daisy air rifle. Sure, Quincy Jones "sampled" EVH for a Michael Jackson tune and created an instant classic, but big deal. A fry cook on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives does the same thing by throwing an egg on top of a cheese burger. Yup, tastes amazing, but it's still an egg for fuck's sake and therefore limited by it's own existence. Put it on top of ice cream and your stomach turns. (Remember that nitwit that dropped an VH-like solo into "Maniac" from Flash Dance? Yeck.) So when Ed does try to stretch out, the results are ludicrous. Just recall him falling on his face with the country-ish but laughable "Finish What Ya Started", or for that matter the unlistenable garbage that surfaced on VH III.

Comparing the guy to other players doesn't work either, because as musicians, their very individuality and their own eras are what set them apart from each other in the first place. While it's fun to imagine the 1972 Dolphins playing the 1985 Bears, it's also dumb as shit and a rather time wasting exercise in futility.

I'm not being an Eddie-apologist here, as I find him to be not only an influence but also kinda creepy. Yet the guy is what he is. In trying to be something otherwise, he invokes embarrassment. Big deal. We all do. You can't be all things to all people, cause ya wind up being nothin' to nobody, or words to that effect.
            Did he stop caring...or...

Did he think he was so fucking good....that anything he fucking did would sound like sweet moanings of a solid lay?

In my less than humble opinion...

that pious fucker thought he could play a guitar out of his ass and make it sound good...

and instead began coming off as over-indulgent...well...not coming off...actually being...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

patt's gonna hate that
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                That depends. If I see Wolfy onstage, I am not going to be quite so thrilled.
                No shit. IF they are on this Grammy thing, and IF they make some sort of "announcement", I swear to God I wish somebody would ask Wolfie, "why the hell are you up there?". I don't give a shit if he's the greatest bass player on this earth. He ain't a part of Van Halen and he has absolutely zero to add to the band. Come ON! This was a group of guys who said to hell with it and decided they were going to conquer the world. And DID!!! And now they got Eddie's kid in the band??? What if he'd had a girl? Or, God forgive me, a retarded kid? Timmayy!! Don't get me wrong. I'll watch this Grammy thing. I'll buy the record - if it ever comes out. And I'll go to the show, again - well, if a tour ever materializes. But it ain't Van Halen. Ah shit, I'm so conflicted. I need a beer.
                American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Thing is, they have already stated that "an iconic band will be reuniting...."

They already got back with Dave in 2007. If there is no further movement in personnel to justify the publicity they are shoveling out NOW, and they show up with Wolfy onstage, I am going to write the Academy and tell them what a bunch of cocksucking asslickers they are!

Hell, I oughta do that anyway just on general principal.

I will still go see them if they come close to Gnashville if Wolfy is still with them. But I am not going to go nutso on trying to see multiple shows.
                  If they have the original Fantastic Four, I would sell my dead grandma to go see any show I could, lol. Well, not really. But you get my drift.

Comment

• mohican
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jul 2011

It's the same lineup of 3/4 CVH and Wolf. Why would MA get back with them when he didn't participate in the new album, and he's tied to Sammy.
                    It's not like this type of minor press releases are written by anyone with vh knowledge or past 26 years of age.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

It's not going to be Van Halen on the Grammy thing anyhow. No way. Oh yeah, let's all tune in to watch Eddie trot out his fat fucking kid and piss all over the Van Halen name one more time. I can hear it now, "Right now, Van Halen is taking a huge shit all over every fan they ever had".
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• K1469
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Sep 2011

Why talk shit?

Some of us have been waiting forever to hear something or see something from the group and finally we get some great news and all you want to do is talk shit about Ed's kid and wish Mike was still in the band? Wolf helped get the band back together and Mike crawled up Spammy's ass years ago and hid so how about keeping the negative shit off hear till after the Grammy special and see whats up before jumping back on the bandwagon! If Mike was dead would you still be bitching? Face it he is dead as far as VH goes from here on so support who Dave is supporting or find someplace else to whine! If you didnt see the original VH live you are too young to know what your talking about anyways!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Then I am plenty old enough to know what I am fucking talking about. The kid is old enough and has enough connections courtesy of dear old dad that he can go play in his own fucking band.

Sure, it will be great news if they play the Grammys. But if they do not have Mike in the band after promoting this as a reunion gig, when they already had a reunion TOUR 4 years ago, it will be just another slap in the face to the fans who want to see the original lineup again.

So Mohican, are you connected with the band? Are you going to claim (like so many others before you) that you somehow have "inside information"?

You are going to claim you know without a doubt which lineup is going to play the Grammys?

Right. Sure.

Next.....

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'll say this much.... If a fat Republican tequila salesman is on that stage, I'll pull an Elvis and shoot my goddamn TV
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• K1469
                              Roth Army Recruit
                              • Sep 2011

I have hung out with Big Ed and the band backstage when Dave was in Dallas in 1998 but I have no inside info. or actually know anyone personally in VH. All I know is that this is Dave's last chance to have a huge impact in music and I am going to support the band and hope for the best. Being a negative asshole wont change anything. So get on the bandwagon or hop the fuck off. If you wouldnt tell what you have to say to Dave or Ed's face then stop talking crap on here. You either want to hear Dave or you dont so make up your mind? If you dont then why are you even on here? To just add up your posts and thank you's? lol I was on this site when it started in the 90's and used to send Sarge my concert pics before all you negative people took over the site. It's about supporting Dave, not trashing everything? All of us are frustrated but its not our life or our choice.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2005

Refer your stupid ass to the first post in this thread, then shut the fuck up.

If you do not like what you see here, there is the fucking door.
                                Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-08-2011, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Working...