X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
    To be fair, Andrew at Melodicrock does drop the odd scoop now and then.
    Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

• CROWBAR
      Commando
      • Sep 2004

To be fair, Andrew at Melodicrock does drop the odd scoop now and then. But I've always suspected his sources were from the Sammy Hagar camp (he is a devoted Van Hagar fan). Now I think his sources are a little further removed so his information is always sketchy. Melodicrock is now reporting that VH are in the studio next week but VHND had already said late last year that they are recording this month - so no news there. And the stuff about Eddie rejecting Dave's lyrics/ideas throughout 2010 is such a predictable thing to state - again no news there either. Just more peddling of the Eddie/Dave conflict thing.
      I could believe that (him being more of a Van Hagar fan) his source(s) may not even be within the VH Camp these days. I'm much more inclined to believe Jeff from the newsdesk as he's a lot tighter with those guys than Taz man will ever be. He (Andrew) gets steamed when he gets upstaged by him too. His whole trip is to bait people with a teaser tidbit just so his site will get more hits too. His way of going about releasing info is underhanded. Don't care for that jackass at all.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by CROWBAR
        I could believe that (him being more of a Van Hagar fan) his source(s) may not even be within the VH Camp these days. I'm much more inclined to believe Jeff from the newsdesk as he's a lot tighter with those guys than Taz man will ever be. He (Andrew) gets steamed when he gets upstaged by him too. His whole trip is to bait people with a teaser tidbit just so his site will get more hits too. His way of going about releasing info is underhanded. Don't care for that jackass at all.
        Exactly. After Jeff came out with his well measured and nicely thought out rendering of the current "news" surrounding Van Halen (Van Halen’s 2011 Plans and The TRUTH Behind The Rumors), the moron at melodicrock jumped all over him at another web site, refuting Jeff's analysis and info in a bizarrely childish, petulant and unprofessional manner. Andrew is the same dolt that found a necroposted rumor at another site, then turned around and posted it as fact at his own site a few years ago, yet for some unfathomable reason several folks seem to believe him to have the pulse of the VH organization. The truth is, the nitwit gets his information from the same place 98% of us do: From reading posts at VH-related websites. If you want up to the minute details about the goings on of countless past-their-prime eighties bands like Survivor, he's your man. Otherwise, don't trust him to even get the time of day correct.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Halen High
          Commando
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by CROWBAR
          Oh he definately prefers Van Hagar. Here is a quote I remember from one of his reports on the Van Hagar 2004 tour; "I love this band, particularly with Sammy in it."

If you read his reports since 2007, they always seem a little negative as if the whole thing with Dave is forced. I think it's wishful thinking frome someone who wants Van Hagar back.
          Last edited by Halen High; 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Halen High
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Exactly. After Jeff came out with his well measured and nicely thought out rendering of the current "news" surrounding Van Halen (Van Halen’s 2011 Plans and The TRUTH Behind The Rumors), the moron at melodicrock jumped all over him at another web site, refuting Jeff's analysis and info in a bizarrely childish, petulant and unprofessional manner. Andrew is the same dolt that found a necroposted rumor at another site, then turned around and posted it as fact at his own site a few years ago, yet for some unfathomable reason several folks seem to believe him to have the pulse of the VH organization. The truth is, the nitwit gets his information from the same place 98% of us do: From reading posts at VH-related websites. If you want up to the minute details about the goings on of countless past-their-prime eighties bands like Survivor, he's your man. Otherwise, don't trust him to even get the time of day correct.
            I think he does have sources but they are unreliable and/or a few steps removed from the VH camp. VHND is certainly a more reliable source.

Comment

• Etienne
              Commando
              • Aug 2010

I guess reliable sources will not open their mouths at this point in time...

Comment

• Halen High
                Commando
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
                I guess reliable sources will not open their mouths at this point in time...
                I think things will go quiet for 2-3 weeks while they are in the studio - then hopefully we will get some positive news. Hang in there. We will soon be listening to a Van Halen album featuring Diamond Dave for the first time since 1984.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Jan 2004

27 years... Man! That's how old Jim, Jimi, and Janis all were when they passed. Waaaay too long.
                  I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• BadassMOFO
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Jan 2008

*** Hot of the presses! LOL! ***

This just in:

Monday, January 17, 2011

VAN HALEN COMMENCE WORK WITH PRODUCER JOHN SHANKS:
                    Van Halen will formally start work on a new studio album with Grammy Award winning producer John Shanks Monday January 17. The news of the band's plans was confirmed by myself this weekend.
                    Rumours of Shanks' involvement with the band surfaced a couple of months ago at the Van Halen Newsdesk. It can now be confirmed.
                    The band will record their first all-new studio album since 1998's Van Halen III and their first with original singer David Lee Roth since 1983's 1984.
                    There are no further details available about this latest stint in the studio, nor any suggestion of when the band will be finished and anything subsequently released. Manager Irving Azoff is said to be pushing the band to tour, but I'm told Eddie Van Halen is reluctant to do so without any new material to release.
                    So while a 2011 tour has been publicly mentioned previously by Azoff, it remains up in the air as to when, or even if a tour will happen this year. A record needs to be completed and I doubt anyone will want to start speculating as to when that will happen.

Questions remain about what happened to the much discussed 2010 recording sessions with producer Ross Hogarth. Officially denied, and not likely to ever be addressed, the fact remains the band were in the studio writing and working for much of 2010. Several famous names commented positively about hearing new material during 2010, including Dweezil Zappa & John 5.
                    Additionally Warner Publishing issued a press release mid-year stating that the band had re-signed to the company, adding that they were (at that stage) in the studio recording.

Additional rumors remain about Warner's desire to release remastered versions of the band's Sammy Hagar fronted albums and I'm hearing talk of a career spanning Box Set at some stage - fuelled by news that Warner also reached new publishing agreements with Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth in 2010.

Stay tuned...

Originally posted by BadassMOFO
                    I find it rather odd that there is no mention of this at the VHND. :confused:
                    ...nor at the official Van Halen website which says Happy New Year 2009! :confused:
                    ...which has the link to http://www.highprofilemedia.com (Van Halen publicist) that has no mention of it. :confused:
                    ...in fact the link appears to be a dead one! :confused:

WTF? :confused: :confused: :confused:
                    It would be nice to find something concrete that actually confirms the above that, in my opinion, amounts to nothing more than a bunch of garbly-gook.
                    Brocket99.net Rockin' the tipis of Brocket!
                    Ernie Scar: Shuji-shit-ter-shelf!

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Van Halen will formally start work on a new studio album with Grammy Award winning producer John Shanks Monday January 17. The news of the band's plans was confirmed by myself this weekend.
                      Oh, for Christ's sake...now melodicrock is naming himself as a source.
                      Last edited by chefcraig; 01-17-2011, 02:38 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vaijuju
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2008

first Tension John Shanks said" Come on Van Halen gimme a break"
                        http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

To be fair, Andrew at Melodicrock does drop the odd scoop now and then. But I've always suspected his sources were from the Sammy Hagar camp (he is a devoted Van Hagar fan). Now I think his sources are a little further removed so his information is always sketchy. Melodicrock is now reporting that VH are in the studio next week but VHND had already said late last year that they are recording this month - so no news there.
                          This also would be consistent with the comments from one of Ed's guitar salesmen at NAMM referring to something like his "new musical adventures next week" or something like that.

We can only hope that the delay in recording means they really have the material down, and they're going to attempt making a record "old school" style, as in go in and knock that motherfucker out in 2 or 3 weeks. Of course I would be more confident in that prediction if Ted Templeman was behind the boards instead of this Shanks guy, who may well have a lot of success to his name, but its with some people you couldn't pay me to listen to.

Look at his list of production credits here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shanks

Yeah OK, he worked with Janes Addiction and Liz Phair. I'll even reluctantly classify Bon Jovi as a "rock" band for the moment, but other than that he seems to have more pop & country leanings. Seems more appropriate for a Van Hagar album.

I still say Rick Rubin would have been the best choice if Ted Templeman couldn't do it.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Questions remain about what happened to the much discussed 2010 recording sessions with producer Ross Hogarth. Officially denied, and not likely to ever be addressed...
                            The funniest part of this is the fact that melodicrock created this rumor, which was never substantiated. So in effect, when he says "much discussed", he means much discussed by himself.

...the fact remains the band were in the studio writing and working for much of 2010. Several famous names commented positively about hearing new material during 2010, including Dweezil Zappa & John 5.
                            And precisely what is this "fact" based upon? Where is the proof "the band" ever entered a studio? Much like the Hogarth story, there is little if anything to back this up. As for the material heard by Zappa, the details were never accurately depicted. Did EVH actually display some recorded material for Zappa, or were they merely passing a guitar back and forth, sharing licks? And the John 5 statement was an off the cuff remark with absolutely zero details about what was taking place at 5150, other than "Yeah, we are good friends, and Ed's on fire". What does that even mean?

Now Andrew comes along and does us all a big favor by stating that the band has started working with John Shanks. Really, and just how did he verify this? You guessed it, as with all of his so-called "scoops", he once again fails to substantiate things other than to say that he has verified things. Well golly, aren't all of us lucky for that?

It is also a bit smarmy that Andrew says he is confirming statements made by the VHND a while back, yet at the time he was only too happy to dismiss those comments as being "a little transparent and kinda lame."

Seriously, take what this douchebag has to say with more than a grain of salt. The truth is, you'd be better off ignoring his bullshit altogether.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Andrew really hates it when he's called out on his past bullshit "scoops"
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

I still say Rick Rubin would have been the best choice if Ted Templeman couldn't do it.

Rick Rubin...that guy is a scary mo-fo. Looks like he rides a giant Harley & will eat your children. He fit so well with Slayer. Was awesome! But yeah, he has done some great shit.

What about the other giant rock guys? Mutt & Bob Rock? I don't know. I just want someone with "old school" rock experience. This new guy has a terrific resume', but what can he do with the greatest classic hard rock band of all time? Someone who knows when in a song to shut down everything else & just let a raw guitar riff shine through.
                                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...