X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Etienne
    Commando
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    Then you must be one of those people that actually think that MWM/CGTSNM are good songs....
    Good VH-Riffs DLR teamwork

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dan
      Not Goods songs But Great Ones.
      "MWM" perhaps, but not "CGTSNM". The former defined a possible future for VH, while the latter seemed to just drag along. I think what really kills people about either tune is what was left suggested and never came to be. That Best Of album was the tipping point. Instead of following one direction or the other, VHIII went off on such a weird, unlikeable and unlistenable tangent that no one associated with it ever fully recovered. By promising DLR then serving up some undercooked Cherone, Edward Van Halen began a series of moves that ripped the heart out of not only his fan base, but his own credibility. And if the past few years of equipment hawking are any evidence, he is still at it. (The rumors of the current recording process only work to compound this belief.)

So for hardcore fans, hearing either one of those tracks is a pretty strange, unsettling experience. These two tracks stand alone outside of the VH catalogue, oddly adjacent to the six-pack in some bizarre parallel universe. Unlike the tunes from the original CVH era, these inspire little if any joy, only occasional and brief moments of marvel at their execution. And that sure as shit wasn't what Roth era Van Halen was all about.
      Last edited by chefcraig; 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ace diamond
        Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
        Count me among that group.
        count me in as well.
        Originally posted by hideyoursheep
        When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
        "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ace diamond
          count me in as well.
          Hmm. I may need to rethink my vote now.
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
            Sniper
            • Feb 2007

https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• ace diamond
              Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

no need to do anything so drastic, sharky.
              i think they are good songs and i like them.
              i was simply agreeing with your opinion.
              personally, i would love to see them both in the setlist for the next tour.
              Originally posted by hideyoursheep
              When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
              "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

I used to like those songs as well. Especially "Can't Get This Stuff No More".

But now...

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Count me among that group.
                  ...And me as well.

Eddie went through that phase where he tossed out a bunch of "quickies" with both Hagar and Roth, both under the auspices of "reunion" or "potential reunion."

I'll take MWM/CGTSNM any fucking day over "It's About Time", "Up For Breakfast, and "Learning To See."

No doubt that all 5 songs were laying around in pieces at 5150 and Ed cobbled them together and hoped for the best. Roth's tunes worked...but those three turds with Hagar are the Bermuda Triangle of music...
                  Originally posted by perilouspete
                  fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

I think you're all fucked in the head...
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Dan
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      I think you're all fucked in the head...
                      How Rude,How Dare You And Get A Hairy Dog Up You.
                      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

I said it with a great deal of care, though...
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Dan
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

So Did I.
                          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by chefcraig
                            So for hardcore fans, hearing either one of those tracks is a pretty strange, unsettling experience. These two tracks stand alone outside of the VH catalogue, oddly adjacent to the six-pack in some bizarre parallel universe. Unlike the tunes from the original CVH era, these inspire little if any joy, only occasional and brief moments of marvel at their execution. And that sure as shit wasn't what Roth era Van Halen was all about.
                            Damn.. exactly.. way to nail it, brotha! Bravo, sir..
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• VAiN
                              Use my hand, I won't look
                              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                              I'll take MWM/CGTSNM any fucking day over "It's About Time", "Up For Breakfast, and "Learning To See."
                              Yeah, without a doubt there...
                              Originally posted by wiseguy
                              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                Hasn't making digital copies of music killed off the record industry? I keep hearing there is no money in selling recorded music anymore so the money is in touring.
                                the money has always been in touring and merchandising.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...