New VH Footage !!!! 2012 tickets on sale Jan 10th!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fairwrning
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Just think..roughly 3 months or less from this very second..Van Halen will be on a stage somewhere..

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7E9k7nCWFc0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7E9k7nCWFc0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Comment

• Roth & Roll
      Foot Soldier
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      The only difference is the VH logo is a real photo and The Commodores is an artist conception. What can I say, 1930's art deco streamlining is cool and people just want to incorporate it into the theme.
      To be honest, I'd never seen that Commodores album cover before - but after someone posted that pic, it borders on downright plagiarism - virtually identical trains exiting a red-bordered circle.

After 28 years, I was expecting something more "original".
      Has no bearing on the music, because that's all that matters to me, but just sayin'...
      http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...oker-small.jpg

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by silverfish
        Kicking around vhlinks and saw someone mentioned the Commodores LP.
        Here's a side-by-side:

LOL - wonder if anyone in the band knew this, or it was an Interscope design? I still like it, though.

There's a fine tradition of album look alike covers. I found this interesting site with dozens and dozens of them - LINK to site

Wasn't Van Hagar's 'OU812' just like 'Meet the Beatles'?
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
          Nah. For one thing, Meet The Beatles actually had bass parts.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Northern Girl
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Roth & Roll
            I'd never seen that Commodores album cover before
            The Linkers are big Motown fans!
            Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
              Nah. For one thing, Meet The Beatles actually had bass parts.
              Yeah, what happened to the bass!! Donn Landee got the push after that album, didn't he? He did a good enough job engineering on any other album he ever did - Little Feat's Sailin' Shoes being one stand out aside from his other work with CVH, so I can only guess that the lack of producer (i.e., decision-maker) had something to do with losing the bass. I remember it never said 'produced by' anywhere on the album cover, just 'performed by etc etc' and 'recorded by Donn Landee'.

I do remember reading an interview where Mike Anthony said he had a mix of that album with the bass quite prominent, but that's not what made it out into the world.
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Re - Bon Jovi and New Jersey. I think JBJ always wished he had been Bruce, or Steve Van Zandt.

Didn't they cop that look on one of the videos from their 'New Jersey' album from Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul, circa 1982? He and his band all wore long coats with gang-style logos on the back.
                You're on the money with that one! I never saw the back of that cover or noticed the jacket on his shoulder. Fine line between tip o' the hat and rippin' somebody off. In this case, it was probably a bit of both.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Wow. This train cover comparison is a bit odd. Didn't they say at the VHND that the cover is based on this train image? Maybe the actual cover is made up of viniettes ala Fair Warning or perhaps the train image is on the back side or the actual disc itself.

Maybe maybe maybe... Will this guessing game ever freaking end?

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Here's a side-by-side:

A little to close with the circle around it & the red ! But still cool and I only want what's inside anyway ! Shit they used to redo songs why not artwork ?!! I wonder if they know ? Shit Dave probably owns that album !
                    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 01-01-2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• VAiN
                      Use my hand, I won't look
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Here's a side-by-side:

Who gives a fuck? I do not. VH is releasing a fucking album with Dave!! It can have the backstreet boys cover for all I care.. it's what's underneath that counts!
                      Originally posted by wiseguy
                      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

LOL - wonder if anyone in the band knew this, or it was an Interscope design? I still like it, though.

There's a fine tradition of album look alike covers. I found this interesting site with dozens and dozens of them - LINK to site

Ou8her2 is a total Meet The Beatles lookalike. With one guy a little higher in the picture. Don't remember who. Maybe Sam.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by VAiN
                          Who gives a fuck? I do not. VH is releasing a fucking album with Dave!! It can have the backstreet boys cover for all I care.. it's what's underneath that counts!
                          Agreed !! Still cool & probably Dave's idea. Like I said he probably owns that album.

Comment

• Halen High
                            Commando
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Roth & Roll
                            Wow - unless Ed and Dave got the Commodores as a replacement for Mikey on harmonies and back-up vocals, this is lame...
                            I'm pretty sure the Commodores don't own exclusive rights to that image, so anyone else has the right to get creative and use it just as long as it's not exactly the same. And that Commodores album came out 36 years ago. Perhaps it's also a nod to one of Dave's influences? Anyway, I love it - it's cool.

Comment

• Halen High
                              Commando
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              Wow. This train cover comparison is a bit odd. Didn't they say at the VHND that the cover is based on this train image? Maybe the actual cover is made up of viniettes ala Fair Warning or perhaps the train image is on the back side or the actual disc itself.

Maybe maybe maybe... Will this guessing game ever freaking end?
                              I think the image we have seen will be the dominant aspect of a different looking cover......but it's interesting isn't it. The more I look at it the more I love it.

Comment

• silverfish
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                The only difference is the VH logo is a real photo and The Commodores is an artist conception.
                                An artist's conception and an artist's rendition are quite different and while the Commodores
                                cover may be an artist's rendition, you gotta admit it's pretty close to being the same effing
                                train

Just sayin'...
                                Originally posted by sadaist
                                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

Working...