X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by loucap81
    Maybe Hagar would have ended up like Billy Squier but he still would have had a career. Michael Anthony would have no career on his own since he can't write music. Hence he is far luckier than Hagar.
    I think he would've ended up a little more like Greg Kihn.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
      There's better songs than "The Stroke" on that disc - one of my old cover bands used to do "Too Daze Gone", which is fun, and what was the one on there dedicated to John Lennon?
      "Whadda You Want from Me", "My Kinda Lover" and "Two Daze Gone" rip. Don't Say No was a great album, too bad he followed it up with the bleak Emotions in Motion, which featured only one decent tune ("She's A Runner") and the even worse Signs of Life, which pretty much was the final nail in his career's coffin. The last time I saw this guy, he was hanging around Liza Minnelli in a really creepy fashion at the Freddie Mercury tribute, and wasn't even asked to perform.

Probably serves him right, as the tales of his ill-mannered ways toward the guys in his bands are legendary.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

This is pretty good for how he sounds today?

sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
          "Probably serves him right, as the tales of his ill-mannered ways toward the guys in his bands are legendary.
          I haven't heard this...give me an example please
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Oh wow, I forgot how utterly bizarre and scary this video was. way to alienate your entire fanbase in one fell swoop.

sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Kind of like this great career move

sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                Head Fluffer
                • Feb 2007

Comment

• gbranton
                  Veteran
                  • Aug 2005

"Whadda You Want from Me", "My Kinda Lover" and "Two Daze Gone" rip. Don't Say No was a great album, too bad he followed it up with the bleak Emotions in Motion, which featured only one decent tune ("She's A Runner") and the even worse Signs of Life, which pretty much was the final nail in his career's coffin.
                  Yeah, "Don't Say No".....WTF was I calling it "In the Dark" for, I'll never know. "Don't Say No" is a hell of an album, on this we can agree.

But to describe "Emotions" as "bleak".... hmmmmmm, I've nevr though of it as being such. I think it is not as strong as "No" but had some solid tunes, like the aforementioned "She's A Runner", "Everybody Wants You", the title track and "Keeps Me Satisfied", which by the way is pretty far away from what I would call "bleak". "Signs of Life" was a little weaker, but still had some good cuts like "All Night Long", "Reach For the Sky" and "Can't Get Next To You". I've always thought he sounded as though he was pouring his heart into this vocally. I am planning to consume some adult beverages this evening, I will do so, listen to some of this and decide if I hear anything that could be described as "bleak".
                  "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• gbranton
                    Veteran
                    • Aug 2005

Probably serves him right, as the tales of his ill-mannered ways toward the guys in his bands are legendary.
                    Was that the time he screamed at someone because his headset didn't work, or the time he bitched about the air conditioning? I can't remember.
                    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I too had never heard of this...the couple of times I met his guitarist of the era, Jeff Golub, mentioned at one point that I'd seen him when I was a kid on tour with Squier, nothing but praise for the guy IIRC.
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• fourthcoming

I saw him 2 or 3 yrs ago at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island....took my pops. He had seen him playing with Ringo's all stars a few months before up at Mohegan Sun and said he stood out. So what the hell, I'll take my old man to see the show.....I was never really a huge Billy Squier fan but the guy put on a great show and played guitar like a motherfucker....was completely surprised and caught off guard. That being said.....nothing short of curing cancer can forgive that dude for that rediculous video of Rock Me Tonight. I'm not saying this to be cruel or naive, but is Billy Squier openly gay? Is it common knowledge and I just missed the memo or something? Not being a smart ass....just wondering cuz he played a Queen tune live and dedicated it to his "Great friend" Freddy mercury. Obviously, being friends with freddy mercury doesn't make him openly gay. I was just wondering because he looks so openly flamboyant in that rediculous video for Rock me tonight.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                          I am planning to consume some adult beverages this evening, I will do so, listen to some of this and decide if I hear anything that could be described as "bleak".
                          Admittedly, perhaps bleak is the wrong word. It's just that the songs sounded so joyless and way less fun to me than the terrific vibe offered on Don't Say No. The playing sounded too deliberate and almost mechanical to me, which is why "She's A Runner" stood out almost like a Faces tune in it's couldn't-give-a-shit attitude and playing.

Originally posted by jhale667
                          I too had never heard of this...the couple of times I met his guitarist of the era, Jeff Golub, mentioned at one point that I'd seen him when I was a kid on tour with Squier, nothing but praise for the guy IIRC.
                          I'm pretty sure this was after Golub had left, and a revolving door of players including Jimmy Crespo started filing in and out. I'd read some rather unflattering commentary in various guitar magazines, but heard more so from guys coming into town to play on the bar circuit when you could actually find a gig here and there in the nineties.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• gbranton
                            Veteran
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                            I saw him 2 or 3 yrs ago at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island....took my pops. He had seen him playing with Ringo's all stars a few months before up at Mohegan Sun and said he stood out. So what the hell, I'll take my old man to see the show.....I was never really a huge Billy Squier fan but the guy put on a great show and played guitar like a motherfucker....was completely surprised and caught off guard. That being said.....nothing short of curing cancer can forgive that dude for that rediculous video of Rock Me Tonight. I'm not saying this to be cruel or naive, but is Billy Squier openly gay? Is it common knowledge and I just missed the memo or something? Not being a smart ass....just wondering cuz he played a Queen tune live and dedicated it to his "Great friend" Freddy mercury. Obviously, being friends with freddy mercury doesn't make him openly gay. I was just wondering because he looks so openly flamboyant in that rediculous video for Rock me tonight.
                            Was that the tour with Greg Bissonette?

He has been married for ten years now to a former professional soccer player or something like that. She sort of resembles Daryl Hanna to me.
                            Last edited by gbranton; 06-01-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• gbranton
                              Veteran
                              • Aug 2005

Admittedly, perhaps bleak is the wrong word. It's just that the songs sounded so joyless and way less fun to me than the terrific vibe offered on Don't Say No. The playing sounded too deliberate and almost mechanical to me, which is why "She's A Runner" stood out almost like a Faces tune in it's couldn't-give-a-shit attitude and playing.
                              OK, something else to ponder while listening. If you wanna hear him play with some piss and vinegar, hunt down a copy of his live King Biscuit Flower Hour disc, as a big fan of live music I find this to be a good one.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by gbranton
                                Was that the tour with Greg Bissonette?

He has been married for ten years now to a former professional soccer player or something like that. She sort of resembles Daryl Hanna to me.
                                You know something, I remember my Dad telling me when he saw Ringo's band he said the drummer played with Roth....I asked him was it Greg Bissonette and he said yes. Colin Hay from Men At Work was playing with Ringo too. I'm not sure if your asking if the Squier show I saw was with Bissonette or not, and if it was, I never noticed.

Comment

Working...