Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbranton
    Veteran
    • Aug 2005

I did like the song Hooligan's Holiday, but yeah it's a totally different sound for Motley.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
      Yeah, you're definitely onto something. Especially given your stance on Motley Crue, when you know deep down in your soul that the Motley album with Corabi fucking CRUSHES anything they did with D.U.I., yet you're gonna sit here on this board and talk shit about how D.U.I is the shit, and can't be replaced?
      Are you onto some kind of actual logic here? Or are you onto the deeper side of raw irony?

It's a chess game, dude....every move is critical.
      I wouldn't know if the Motley Corabi album could crush a bug since I never bought it. Heard 1 song and saw the video for it. It wasn't Motley Crue to me. Motley Crue was my 1st concert ever...way way back in 1985 with Loudness opening up. And this wasn't them. Not to me. I didn't want a new band, I wanted Motley Crue.

And apparently the majority of fans, the band, and even Corabi himself all realized this as well. Vince isn't "the shit", but no...he can't be replaced and have it still be Motley Crue. If you are trying to get the highest quality musician to take a spot in the band to improve the band, why not just replace all 4 of them? Because it won't be Motley Crue. We clear?

The thing about Michael Anthony....or any other bass player or background singer is the band can still sound pretty much the same without them. It is much easier to mimic & sound like a bass than vocals. The singer is way too much of the sound of a band to be able to change it with very much success. AC/DC is really the only band that comes to mind.

This isn't to be a crack on Mike. Just saying that of the 4 parts of Van Halen, he was the easiest to replace & still keep the sound and feel intact. And reading the recent publication of his interview from 1986 and reading his recent interviews from 2012...it's clear the guy never really liked Dave. Yet Dave has always had pretty decent things to say about the guy.

It's shows a lack of class for Michael Anthony to take shots at Dave.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

I'm all for the original line-up of any band, but when people start talking shit about an original member of my favorite band, we're going to have more than a few problems.
        Hey dummy....Michael Anthony is talking shit about an original member of your favorite band and you aren't having any problems with him?

There's your irony.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
          The Corabi Crue album smoked. Seriously underrated. That is another case where the band probably should have changed the name, and an example of the opposite-Van Hagar effect, in that both were polar opposites of their original incarnations musically... unlike Van Hagar, the Crue with Corabi.... didn't suck.

And Anthrax was leaps & bounds better without Belladonna.....but it wasn't Anthrax.

Comment

• hambon4lif
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
            The Corabi Crue album smoked. Seriously underrated. That is another case where the band probably should have changed the name, and an example of the opposite-Van Hagar effect, in that both were polar opposites of their original incarnations musically... unlike Van Hagar, the Crue with Corabi.... didn't suck.
            Exactly!! "Power To The Music", "Misunderstood", "Poison Apples", "Hammered", " 'Til Death Do Us Part", "Welcome To The Numb", "Smoke The Sky".....seriously heavy motherfuckin' shit, right?
            I thought the same thing with Poison when they went with Richie Kotzen......just kickass songwriting! That's the way to go!
            If "5150" was Van Halens first album, every label in the world would've passed on them. They've all got enough Journey's and Foreigner's and REO's and all the other middle-of-the-road bullshit on their label, they don't need another one, and that's all Van Hagar was...and Mike stuck with them through that. He hung on until they contractually cut his nuts off and made it impossible to be there anymore....THAT'S FUCKED-UP!!
            They created a work environment that NOBODY would've put up with, and he bailed.....made him sign away what was rightfully his.....THAT'S FUCKED-UP, TOO!! Especially when he openly admits that he would be there for them in less than a phone call. He found out he was replaced in th press at the same time we all found out he was replaced......THAT'S SOME FUCKED-UP SPINELESS CHEESY BULLSHIT!!!

Unlike his current dipshit failure of a singer, Mikey's choosing to take the high road, and if he's willing to do that, especially what he's been through, then maybe it's good enough for us, too.

I just can't bring myself to say anything bad about Mike, especially when I know that he'd be there in a lightning second. He's just as down for this band as we are, so what's with all the fucking hate??

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

!

I just can't bring myself to say anything bad about Mike, especially when I know that he'd be there in a lightning second. He's just as down for this band as we are, so what's with all the fucking hate??

You must have missed his recently published interview from 1986. Guitar special edition Van Halen issue. Page 40 it begins. Extremely harsh on Dave. Unnecessarily so.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                You must have missed his recently published interview from 1986. Guitar special edition Van Halen issue. Page 40 it begins. Extremely harsh on Dave. Unnecessarily so.
                Hate to be so unsensitive, but really, who really fucking cares what he says??

It's not the printed page......it's all about the ONSTAGE!!

.....and they fucking cooked!, on all cylinders. You're lucky if you get to witness something this fucking badass even once in your lifetime, and they fucking BROUGHT IT!!

VAN HALEN IS:
                DAVID LEE ROTH: Vocals
                EDDIE VAN HALEN: Guitar
                MICHAEL ANTHONY: Bass
                ALEX VAN HALEN: Drums

....buckle up or get thrown, bitches!!
                Last edited by hambon4lif; 05-24-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Hate to be so unsensitive, but really, who really fucking cares what he says??

I figured the guy that seems to care what everyone else is saying about him.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

I figured the guy that seems to care what everyone else is saying about him.
                    LOL! You're going there with it? o.k. then.......
                    I've already stated my case, if you choose to continue talking shit about him, that's your fucking business, not mine.....
                    far be it for me to get in the way of what could possibly be yet another dirty fucking lie!!.....

The ball's in your face....err, I meant to say.....your court.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by SNIPER
                      How could it be sales Mike? Tickets were not on sale for most of it. Same old Dave he says? I am not sure where he was going with that.
                      Mike isn't the only one who finds the "we're tired and need to re-charge" excuse lacking... He is a career musician and certainly understands the business end of it.

There's been an indication among industry people that Azoff and his empire assessed the VH 2nd leg which will be competing directly for entertainment dollars in a rotten economy among a busy summer schedule with a lot of double billed big rock acts. With VH returning to several large markets for a second round... it's easy to see that the sales outlook carries a high risk of being low. Why not rather postpone the summer, maybe go off-shore a bit and then return state-side once the other summer tours have sizzled...

To me that makes a heck of a lot more sense than... we're tired...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

I've already stated my case, if you choose to continue talking shit about him, that's your fucking business, not mine.....

I stop talking about Michael Anthony all the time. the problem is he keeps popping back up with little crappy back-handed statements or snide remarks. As soon as he shuts up and quits knocking Dave I'll stop taking him to task on it.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I stop talking about Michael Anthony all the time. the problem is he keeps popping back up with little crappy back-handed statements or snide remarks. As soon as he shuts up and quits knocking Dave I'll stop taking him to task on it.
                          So Mike says... "Yeah, I watched itand yeah, that’s Dave. He hasn’t changed a bit."

You consider that a knock..? Sounds more like an acknowledgement to me...

Seems to me the anger should be directed at the media constantly dredging VH commentary from past members. Although how many decades did it take for the press to quit asking McCartney about John/Yoko after the Beatles split up and even after Lennon was dead...

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                            So Mike says... "Yeah, I watched itand yeah, that’s Dave. He hasn’t changed a bit."

You consider that a knock..? Sounds more like an acknowledgement to me...
                            Maybe because it comes just days after the release of the interview where he states:

Dave's ego is too big
                            Dave's voice sucks and they all had to tune down for him
                            MA sang more verses live than Dave because Dave was too busy acting a fool
                            Dave is a hypocrite
                            Dave was never MA's friend
                            Dave had to buy all his friends
                            Dave can't write lyrics
                            Dave causes the band to play worse
                            Dave is a homo
                            and on & on & on & on

Page 40 of this special issue

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Dave's voice sucks and they all had to tune down for him

Boom at 36 seconds!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

You're basing this off of interviews from the 80's & 90's?

Well if that's the case you may as well throw the whole band except Wolfgang out the window. Ed & Al weren't any too kind about Dave in many more past interviews...

Comment

Working...