X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

I checked the wiki article on dave .
    Am thinking tho its not like sesh to get his facts wrong there is probably a gag element to his post that i didnt pick up on
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
      The Singapore Dick Sling™ now has its own entry on google!!
      I fixed it... we've got to protect our "Intellectual Property". Not every day a mythical legend is born...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• clarathecarrot
        Full Member Status

• May 2010

A year and a half ago or so..bad brain and all..there is a thread in main here about that house we were all assembling pics that are getiing authenticated in these Roth Show vignets. (sp).

I believe it was also said that DLR's old man was a "eye surgeon" who had a contract with the prison as their doctor...?

Like a friend of mines dad had a small clinic downtown not much of anything but he had the contract for a huge union manufacturing plant and every sick call or union related accident had to go thru his office....absolutely more lucrative than specializing and being a partnership doc...he also allowed walk-ins and helped many people for free and still made housecalls into his 70s'.

Nice write up in the paper when that old dude passed away.
        2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
        clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I fixed it... we've got to protect our "Intellectual Property". Not every day a mythical legend is born...
          How long do you think it'll be before that catch phrase shows up in a Roth Show episode?
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Monkeeman
            Groupie
            • Jul 2012

Best episode so far.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
              I checked the wiki article on dave .
              Am thinking tho its not like sesh to get his facts wrong there is probably a gag element to his post that i didnt pick up on

No it's that both things seem to be true which is confusing.

I knew his dad had worked as a prison doctor and was a rich surgeon.

I assumed it happened in that order but it seems that the prison work was maybe voluntary and that he did it after he was already rich and successful.

My father was a prison doctor for the last 25 years of his career. We called it the Ivy League — Folsom, Quentin. And he used to joke: When one of our records would come out, both the guards and the inmates celebrated. If you carry a gun to work, whether it’s with a uniform or a pair of two-tone shoes, you telling me you don’t know me? Come on, loco!”
              I thought he had worked his way up and so wondered how he afforded the house early on.

Maybe the prison gig was an occasional thing but used by Dave to sound more grounded. It's not that cool to be from a super rich family.

It seems that Nathan qualified as a doctor relatively late in life (in his early 30s?) since Roth talked onstage about remembering being with his Dad when he was an intern in Boston.

Maybe he had already made money in property or the family was plain rich as most of them seem to have been doctors.

Anyhoo that hall still seems crazy big to me even for a 10 bedroom house.

I bet most people that visit assume Dave bought it with rockstar money rather than it being the family home...
              Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

How long do you think it'll be before that catch phrase shows up in a Roth Show episode?
                Oh I don't know... that would be fun, but I think just getting WARF immortalized in an official VH band video is going to be about as good as it gets for recognition of this crazy bunch.
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I don't know, what with Dave saying the EEAS years were the best of his life

I know. We already knew this, but it is becoming crystal clear that the whole movie thing was the main driving force for Dave leaving VH.

All the other stuff is just filler and distraction. No way the Brothers were anything other than disinterested in making a movie. Can't say that I blame them.

I can't say I am too thrilled about what Dave was doing movie/video wise that would lead to Van Halen splintering. I mean was the movie going to be more of the Picasso Bros?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

The movie would have been VH's Hard Day's Night or Help. Would have been amazing and the brothers shoulda went along with their creative beacon's vision. They still would have been making great rock music and it probably would have been a one shot deal. I always hated how both Ed and Al were constantly saying, "Dave wanted to be a movie star." What proves that horse shit line painfully wrong is that, after the CBS film collapsed, he never attempted to do film of any sort there after. He could have done what ever he wanted. He continued fronting his own band, doing essentially what he had been doing all along.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                      The movie would have been VH's Hard Day's Night or Help. Would have been amazing and the brothers shoulda went along with their creative beacon's vision. They still would have been making great rock music and it probably would have been a one shot deal. I always hated how both Ed and Al were constantly saying, "Dave wanted to be a movie star." What proves that horse shit line painfully wrong is that, after the CBS film collapsed, he never attempted to do film of any sort there after. He could have done what ever he wanted. He continued fronting his own band, doing essentially what he had been doing all along.
                      Really? How come it went nowhere? Dave made some funny videos, but a movie? Maybe...but the industry passed when he was at his height of popularity.

Dave didn't care about anything other than pursuing more and more in terms media which is great...but ill-fated.

A Van Halen movie woudl have been great, but with Dave directing, writing, etc? Hmmm. I don't know. Pete ANgelus was his main writing contributor? Yeah...I don't think so
                      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm not under the impression the movie tanked because of Dave. His collaborative efforts with Pete were going over quite well at the time if you recall. Might a movie like that have been too goofy for you? Perhaps, but by and large, I think it would have done pretty well.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

I like wacky Dave. Love the BBQ video too!

Comment

• Coyote
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            I'm not under the impression the movie tanked because of Dave. His collaborative efforts with Pete were going over quite well at the time if you recall. Might a movie like that have been too goofy for you? Perhaps, but by and large, I think it would have done pretty well.
                            IIRC, a version of the script was floating around the 'net sometime ago...
                            And don't recall it being too goofy...
                            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

All right - here's the script:

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I loved nh BBQ as well. But pursuing the movie deal at the expense of Van Halen? That is all I am saying.

Pete might have been great for helping script a 1 or 2 minute intro to a video...quite another for a 90 minute feature film
                                Last edited by Romeo Delight; 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM.
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...