Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Another logical move after their success could have been for Roth and Halen to become a Vegas performer al la Elton John or perhaps compose an opera...Dave could do Spoken word.

Why is a movie the next step...I am not faulting Dave, just a curious choice given the alternative - world dominance and the baddest band in the land. I don`t fault the Van Halens in not wanting to participate.
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Headly1984
      Head Fluffer
      • Jul 2011

"they say clothes make the man, they certainly made me,they made me a 100% certified authentic organic not tested on animals prices may vary leave it to beaver muthe phucker home grown made in America rock star" "say what ya want about my clothes, but they do say rock star"

DLR

bwahahaha omg he is 1 funny man

"I am not sure all guys in their 20's go out and shake their junk, then again I am not sure all the young chimps throw their feces at the zookeeper either"
      LMFAO
      Last edited by Headly1984; 11-27-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

I think the movie thing made sense timing-wise because Dave was all over MTV and every magazine and ET and the like. The dude was literally everywhere and he says he'd had other movie offers before (who knows). So up comes the movie deal and why not jump at it? Eddie was dicking around and not wanting to work so why not do this in the meantime? He even asked the bros to play on the record.

As far as him working with Vai and the others before April 1st - again, that's Mikey saying that. But he had to work with other guys for the EP so it wouldn't shock me to learn that when Ed and Al passed on doing the music for the movie that Dave immediately started looking for other guys and during that 9 month gap started working wih them. That would fit timing wise wih what Mikey said. But again, it doesn't really matter - just something bouncing around inside my head
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Blaze
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
          sigpic

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            I think the movie thing made sense timing-wise because Dave was all over MTV and every magazine and ET and the like. The dude was literally everywhere and he says he'd had other movie offers before (who knows). So up comes the movie deal and why not jump at it? Eddie was dicking around and not wanting to work so why not do this in the meantime? He even asked the bros to play on the record.

As far as him working with Vai and the others before April 1st - again, that's Mikey saying that. But he had to work with other guys for the EP so it wouldn't shock me to learn that when Ed and Al passed on doing the music for the movie that Dave immediately started looking for other guys and during that 9 month gap started working wih them. That would fit timing wise wih what Mikey said. But again, it doesn't really matter - just something bouncing around inside my head
            In another alternate world:

Edward:

"Hey Dave, I was wondering, I composed this 4 hour opera. It's based on my 2 days of noodling... throwing knives and forks inside my piano, that kind of stuff. It's been booked on The Metropolitan Opera for 22 weeks. Can you help me with set design and costumes?"

Dave:

"Uhhhh. Yeah. I think I'd rather you stick those knives in my eyeballs rather than be your lacky..."

Not sure how different that scenario is from the actual one with roles reversed of course.
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
              Another logical move after their success could have been for Roth and Halen to become a Vegas performer al la Elton John or perhaps compose an opera...Dave could do Spoken word.

Why is a movie the next step...I am not faulting Dave, just a curious choice given the alternative - world dominance and the baddest band in the land. I don`t fault the Van Halens in not wanting to participate.
              You've got to figure a lot of Hollywood smoke was being blown up Dave's ass for him to invest so much in this movie thing. I doubt it was all just Dave's motivation to hitch another wagon to his star... had to have been others keen on adding another cash cow to the herd.
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Let's also not forget, the relationship between DLR and EVH/AVH had been rocky since the FW days....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

I wish I had that 84 interview with Ed at one of the backstage/after show parties. It's here somewhere.Those guys were all sick of each other. I'm surprised Dave stuck it out to even attempt to start on another record. Especially since everything he touched turned to gold.

Comment

• wolfsbane
                    Roadie
                    • Jan 2005

For me it seems very clear. Valerie Bertenalli did not want Dave around.

No more Val, Dave is back.

The woman makes you, or breaks you.

Comment

• Little Texan
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

That's a cool song being used for the theme music for these video segments. I never knew the song existed until I saw The Roth Show. Here's the whole song if anyone wants to hear it all the way through.

Last edited by Little Texan; 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM. Reason: noneya

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Another still from the next episode:

David Lee Roth on WhoSay
                        Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 12-01-2012, 08:14 PM.
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

The Easter Bunny?? Dave sure likes playing dress up

Comment

• Zing!
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

What the hell?

Dos Equis is missing out.
                            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Dave's interpretation from this movie...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Little Texan
                                That's a cool song being used for the theme music for these video segments. I never knew the song existed until I saw The Roth Show.
                                The guitar riff at 1:21 sounds like Tattoo.

Corny verses but infectious chorus.

Comment

Working...