X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heater
    Foot Soldier
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by FORD
    Actually, I don't think I've ever been "TO" LAX. Though I have been through there a few times on the way to Tucson... just long enough to get off one plane and on another.

And making jokes about a violent shooting, that's low.... even for a sheep like you.
    I didn't make a joke about it at all. I see you couldn't help telling us you have been "through" there anyway. How long until you start with the updates from the scene?

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
        Just wait....

If Wolf has the chops that everyone claims he has, it won't be too long until he wants to go out and create his own music and his own legacy. Any musician who is as versatile and talented as Wolf apparently is (based on MA's comments amongst others) does not want to be forever known as the "replacement bass player" in any band....even if it is the mighty Van Halen.

I maintain a slim hope that MA's return is imminent.
        I'm doubtful that Anthony's participation would have made much of a difference in Van Halen from 2007 onward in terms of the overall sound...maybe a bit more oomph in the background vocal department. Obviously, it would have been a full-fledged CVH reunion, and I certainly would have liked to have seen that happen.
        The thing of it is, I think it took Wolfgang to kind of wake his dad up to the notion that he should get back together with Dave. As mentioned in another post, Anthony being curtailed within the group in terms of a lower cut of the profits and Ed overdubbing bass parts - these things happened well before Wolfgang was even of an age to be seriously considered as a replacement. By the time the 2004 tour rolled around, Anthony was in essence a hired hand who was only there at Hagar's insistence.
        Going forward, it's not like Anthony's gonna rejoin and suddenly Ed's gonna play any better, or Dave's gonna sing any better. And Anthony doesn't write, so it's not like a ton of great new song ideas will be brought into the mix by him being around. I will say that Wolfgang looked uneasy on the road in 2007/2008, but on the last tour that kid was knocking it out of the park. Wolfgang also has what Anthony no longer has: the ability to influence his father to drag long-dormant CVH deep tracks out for a live airing. Anthony doesn't have any influence with Ed: if Anthony rejoined, it'd be as if Eddie was doing him a courtesy (at least that's the way I think Eddie would look at it).
        I hate to say it, because I really did want to see the CVH lineup back together for a long time...well, no, I don't hate to say it: Wolfgang has given Van Halen an extended lease on life that Anthony just couldn't. Wolfgang's influence obviously results solely from him being Ed's kid, but that's what it took in the end to get Roth back and get things moving again.
        I suppose I'm not as adamant that Anthony is a vital component to the band's future because I really don't have many expectations for Van Halen's future. ADKOT was a good album. The Van Halens can still deliver. Roth's live vocal approach now is a bit odd. 3/4s of the band is a bit too long in the tooth to foster any real expectations of a return to the zenith of their creative and performance peak of thirty years ago. About all I expect from them is passable nostalgia, and within that criteria Wolfgang works well enough. If Anthony is there instead, there may be a bit more credibility in terms of authenticity, but there wouldn't be a quantum leap in terms of ability or quality.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Heater
          Foot Soldier
          • Nov 2010

You doubt having Mike there would do much for their overall sound? His backing vocals are sorely missed, now more than ever given how Roth is doing these days. Maybe Wolfgang is the only one who can suggest what songs to do but then that just speaks to how the band is really a dictatorship now. Roth isnt going to make any waves, he doesnt want to lose the spotlight again, his weird Tweets and movie "trailer" reek of neediness. Mike not being there is a bigger deal than anybody wants to admit, despite Wolfgang "hitting it out of the park", is he really? Nope.
          FRauD, your beastiality tendencies are worrisome. But, to each his own.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Well said Terry. Some of the best posts on here are yours. I put this one right up there. If Mike was in the band back in 07 that would have created more of a buzz for sure about a reunion, but overall it wouldn't have changed what's been going on with the band the last 5 years. It would have looked better on stage and the backup vocals would be better. The kid is a good singer but not Mike. Personally I prefer Wolf's freight train bass sound live than Mikes basic approach. Wolf paid his dues last tour so I'm fine with him. What VH needs too worry about at this point is Dave getting his voice back if they plan too play a few more years on the road.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
              Well said Terry. Some of the best posts on here are yours. I put this one right up there. If Mike was in the band back in 07 that would have created more of a buzz for sure about a reunion, but overall it wouldn't have changed what's been going on with the band the last 5 years. It would have looked better on stage and the backup vocals would be better. The kid is a good singer but not Mike. Personally I prefer Wolf's freight train bass sound live than Mikes basic approach. Wolf paid his dues last tour so I'm fine with him. What VH needs too worry about at this point is Dave getting his voice back if they plan too play a few more years on the road.
              In '07 Wolfgang did look out of place, but he's assimilated into the band well. I'd certainly agree that going forward it's gonna be Dave's voice that'll be the key. Seeing them last year, Dave...he just started looking and sounding every bit of his nearly 60 years, you know? It was the first time I've seen the dude live where I was, frankly, a bit disconcerted with what he was doing. I mean, I'm seeing this aging guy doing this slip 'n slide shuffle on his center-stage dance mat, yelling out verses in a strained voice and the differences between Dave in 2007/2008 and 2012 were just too stark not to notice...it all left me with a feeling that if this is what Van Halen are gonna be doing going forward, I'm not gonna want to pay premium ticket prices to see it. I suppose it's because CVH represented the sound and fury of youth, and that's not really something that was ever meant to age well, you know? I dunno. They've got nothing left to prove, and there's something to be said for having a dignified exit: it'd be a shame if Van Halen ends up being one of those bands that hung around too long and sort of withered away in a whimpery shadow of their former selves. There's enough aging rock acts out there doing that already - Van Halen doesn't need to be one of them.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• saint
                Foot Soldier
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                Think this is the one Von is referring to:
                3 times this interview gets interesting:
                1 when MA gets the question if he today would rejoin Van Halen, And Spammy goes all ape shit about how good MA and his life is right now and that they don't need Van Halen, and you get the feeling that MA would join in a sec if he got the question, but keeps quiet not to upset Spammy.
                2. When Howard asks about the business side of Spammy and how he fucked the rest of the Van Halens (including MA) on the Cabo deal, and Spammy gets really uncomfortable with Mike being one of them cut out of the millions he eventually made, and rambles on about how he and MA never had an argument about anything and what a sweet guy MA is...
                3. When Howard ask about how MA was cut out of the publishing since the brothers thought he did not contribute, so after the F.U.C.K album he was no longer credited . And Spammy says MA in the end of the day did real well and has him self is to blame for loosing the publishing rigths and that MA actually made 30 - 40 millions from HIS song writing.

To me MA seems to be a really nice guy careless just happy to be there, And Spammy is a backstabbing son of a bitch
                http://web.telia.com/~u55014187/kor.gif

Comment

• fraroc
                  Commando
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by saint
                  3 times this interview gets interesting:
                  1 when MA gets the question if he today would rejoin Van Halen, And Spammy goes all ape shit about how good MA and his life is right now and that they don't need Van Halen, and you get the feeling that MA would join in a sec if he got the question, but keeps quiet not to upset Spammy.
                  2. When Howard asks about the business side of Spammy and how he fucked the rest of the Van Halens (including MA) on the Cabo deal, and Spammy gets really uncomfortable with Mike being one of them cut out of the millions he eventually made, and rambles on about how he and MA never had an argument about anything and what a sweet guy MA is...
                  3. When Howard ask about how MA was cut out of the publishing since the brothers thought he did not contribute, so after the F.U.C.K album he was no longer credited . And Spammy says MA in the end of the day did real well and has him self is to blame for loosing the publishing rigths and that MA actually made 30 - 40 millions from HIS song writing.

To me MA seems to be a really nice guy careless just happy to be there, And Spammy is a backstabbing son of a bitch
                  This 100%

You know, I could forgive the Van Hagar years in terms of music, but now I would never listen to another Van Hagar song unless I had to. I don't hate Sammy because he replaced Dave, I hate Sammy because he is a fucking no-good, victim playing, backstabbing piece of shit who doesn't know his asshole from a hole in the ground in interviews. He always says that he wants to be friends with Eddie again and in the same breath calls him a drunk piece of shit. Selling tequila while his bandmate and supposed "friend" was nigh dying a slow death due to alcoholism was a fucking one-way ticket to "no-classville". To all the 's who want a Van Hagar reunion, just ponder this thought. Wouldn't it be unwise for Eddie to bring back someone who stabbed him in the back multiple times and treated him like garbage throughout that entire era? Eddie's no angel, but Sammy is the fucking Judas Iscariot of Van Halen.
                  How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

I'm not sure I would trust Michael coming back. I'd be thinking the entire time that he would be doing & saying little things here & there always with the ultimate end game of getting Sammy back as well and repairing the friendships between the brothers & Sam.

Dave doesn't even refer to him as the original bass player. Refers to him as the background vocalist lol.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VAiN
                      Use my hand, I won't look
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by sadaist
                      I'm not sure I would trust Michael coming back. I'd be thinking the entire time that he would be doing & saying little things here & there always with the ultimate end game of getting Sammy back as well and repairing the friendships between the brothers & Sam.

Dave doesn't even refer to him as the original bass player. Refers to him as the background vocalist lol.
                      I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I have never walked out of VH show thinking about how incredible the bass was or wasn't... It's all about Dave & Eddie for me. The magic of 78-84 will never be recreated.
                      Originally posted by wiseguy
                      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by saint
                        This x infinity...
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• mh5150
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by VAiN
                          I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I have never walked out of VH show thinking about how incredible the bass was or wasn't... It's all about Dave & Eddie for me. The magic of 78-84 will never be recreated.
                          IT has always been about Edward and Dave to me... I agree with Terry it just wouldn't have made MUCH of a difference if MA was there in 07'. In the 12'-13' shows Wolf did more than hold his own.

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• Never was
                            Foot Soldier
                            • May 2012

How come no interviewer challenges Hagar when he says he can sing Roth's stuff. Well he can't and he also refused to do so for the vast majority of the catalog. He is more consistent than Dave live but this notion he can sing Dave's stuff easily is just false, he can't and his voice is consistent but not versatile and not much on range.

MA great guy, by far the most normal I've met of the original group and great singer but he is either stupid (which I don't think so) or just insincere about the whole he was surprised he was replaced. His being on the outs with the band started in the 90's so the Wolfie vs MA stuff is silly. If you want Billy Sheehan or someone vs Wolfie makes more sense but MA was done in Eddie's eyes in the mid 90's.

Comment

• Never was
                              Foot Soldier
                              • May 2012

Oh yeah Sammy nailed it.

Comment

• fraroc
                                Commando
                                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Never was
                                Of course, the asshole who said that David Lee Roth is a no-talent hack has a pic of Sammy Hagar as his avatar
                                How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

Working...