Does the "Eat 'Em and Smile" Reunion talk say anything about the future of Van Halen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by saint
    I absolutely thinks Sam would do it, the questions is how he would explain doing it without Mike?
    Sam may consider doing it... but the problem is he doesn't "need" it SO bad that he'd be willing to tuck his balls and remain neatly sidelined, away from the limelight, in a cone of silence like Diamond Dave allowed himself to be muzzled for the duration of his return to date.

That's a huge motivational factor... Sam is too social and yappy to tow Ed's line. And Ed don't need it that bad either... to tolerate Hagar.'s mouth and bullshit antics
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

You guys are forgetting one big factor - Bette's fucking ego....

He's the cocksucker that has lied through his fucking teeth for DECADES now about how Van Bette sold 50 million albums or some horseshit like that....

I have no doubt in my mind that if they indeed hook back up that HE'D think they'd sell out arenas, which outside of St. Louis, L.A. and NYC is bovine fucking feces.....I'm positively convinced that HE still thinks subconsciously that his doo-wop band called Van Hagarita would still be wanted in today's music world....

I mean, to a certain extent, people would still go... Many of my friends my age, particularly women, love to go down the road to the ampitheater here 7 or 8 times a summer, kick back on the lawn, drink beer and just have a good time, regardless of the band playing....

But nothing more than that....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• saint
        Foot Soldier
        • Feb 2004

Of course he would consider doing it without Mike, he would be relevant again. I think a summer tour 2017 would be in reach, and if Mike is to be considered at all, Wolf would have had to make it (rather big) on his own. If Ed and or Al needs "cache money", it could happen, and if Mike would be a part of it I would cringe. I would be truly pissed to be denied an original reunion, witch would have brought me to the US a third time for sure, for a Van Hagar reunion. Without Mike I could sit back and laugh at their attempts.
        http://web.telia.com/~u55014187/kor.gif

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by saint
          I absolutely thinks Sam would do it, the questions is how he would explain doing it without Mike?
          MONEY !! You can never have enough !! Honestly if Dave is done with VH I couldn't care less at this point. VH music, with Dave was full of piss and vigor !! And as much as I enjoyed the shows I went too and Enjoyed Ed kicking ass again it's still kind of................................................ Past due in a way. Same reason I don't log in here as much. So go out and do the Eat Em' show's Dave ! I'll be first in line !! Release the John 5 disc. I'll be first in line !! It's kind of a do what you want at this point for me. I love Dave and I'm happy he got his shot again in VH but he is an old guy now. A very kick ass old guy !!! I can do without him in VH at this point. Let Hag go out and sing his love songs with Ed strumming bare chords under them. I honestly couldn't care less !! The band screwed up their legacy big time in 84. It should have been renamed after Dave left. It wasn't and never will be the same. Time marches on !! But one more VH album and tour would be awesome also. LOL !!

Comment

• saint
            Foot Soldier
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
            MONEY !! You can never have enough !! Honestly if Dave is done with VH I couldn't care less at this point. VH music, with Dave was full of piss and vigor !! And as much as I enjoyed the shows I went too and Enjoyed Ed kicking ass again it's still kind of................................................ Past due in a way. Same reason I don't log in here as much. So go out and do the Eat Em' show's Dave ! I'll be first in line !! Release the John 5 disc. I'll be first in line !! It's kind of a do what you want at this point for me. I love Dave and I'm happy he got his shot again in VH but he is an old guy now. A very kick ass old guy !!! I can do without him in VH at this point. Let Hag go out and sing his love songs with Ed strumming bare chords under them. I honestly couldn't care less !! The band screwed up their legacy big time in 84. It should have been renamed after Dave left. It wasn't and never will be the same. Time marches on !! But one more VH album and tour would be awesome also. LOL !!
            I really do not care either, saw them twice in 07/08 and I am content. Would love to se Dave back with the ETAS band, buy his John 5 album, rather than se more youtube clips of a less and less attended greatest hits tour. But IF, IF the bring Mike back with Sam that would actually hurt.

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              You guys are forgetting one big factor - Bette's fucking ego....

He's the cocksucker that has lied through his fucking teeth for DECADES now about how Van Bette sold 50 million albums or some horseshit like that....

I have no doubt in my mind that if they indeed hook back up that HE'D think they'd sell out arenas, which outside of St. Louis, L.A. and NYC is bovine fucking feces.....I'm positively convinced that HE still thinks subconsciously that his doo-wop band called Van Hagarita would still be wanted in today's music world....

I mean, to a certain extent, people would still go... Many of my friends my age, particularly women, love to go down the road to the ampitheater here 7 or 8 times a summer, kick back on the lawn, drink beer and just have a good time, regardless of the band playing....

But nothing more than that....
              I thought Van Hagar sold 500 million albums. Or was it 5 gazillion? Sam keeps changing the number so it's hard to remember. I'm sure those numbers will have increased by the time he steps back into the band.

I wonder if him and Ed will fall back in love. I sure hope so. I mean I want to see those two guys sitting there talking about water under the bridge and how when they got back together it was like old times and how they're better friends now than they ever were and I want to see them holding hands and all that shit. I don't just want a reunion - I want to see a full on gay marriage.
              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                I thought Van Hagar sold 500 million albums. Or was it 5 gazillion? Sam keeps changing the number so it's hard to remember. I'm sure those numbers will have increased by the time he steps back into the band.

I wonder if him and Ed will fall back in love. I sure hope so. I mean I want to see those two guys sitting there talking about water under the bridge and how when they got back together it was like old times and how they're better friends now than they ever were and I want to see them holding hands and all that shit. I don't just want a reunion - I want to see a full on gay marriage.

You jest, but you're probably not far off with the "water under the bridge" horseshit....

And also, Bette will NOT rejoin without Mike, that's just common sense folks... That's the only reason he came back during the clusterfuck 2004 tour, was it not?
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  You jest, but you're probably not far off with the "water under the bridge" horseshit....

And also, Bette will NOT rejoin without Mike, that's just common sense folks... That's the only reason he came back during the clusterfuck 2004 tour, was it not?
                  Yeah, I'd really have a difficult time believing Hagar would do another go-around with Van Halen without Anthony.

The thing of it is, Anthony has (at least in public, anyway) such a passive acceptance about his ouster from the band that [Anthony] would probably tell Sammy he wouldn't mind if Sammy rejoined Van Halen for a tour with Wolfie playing bass instead of [Anthony].

But whatever else one thinks about him, Hagar has been a loyal friend to Anthony. When Ed's most recent word-barf interview about Anthony always being told what to play/having his bass lines dictated by EVH came out, Hagar did exactly what you'd want a friend (defined as, among other things, someone who has your back) to do and publicly called bullshit on Ed's blather. Plenty of people have made snide remarks about Hagar and Anthony's friendship over the years, but it was never a mystery to me as to why Anthony enjoyed hanging out and playing with Hagar. Hagar treated Anthony with far more respect than Roth or the Van Halens did in the end.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Hagar would absolutely do it without MA...it would mean more to him to get even with Roth and try to sell more cheesy bullshit to the masses.

Comment

• Jetstream
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DONNIEP

And Edward calling him his brother... he likes to say stuff like that, like some weird incestuous fetish of Eduardo's, I really want this to happen and have Ed's project called Van Halen become the first bi-polar band in rock music lol
                      I got lost in the...

Comment

• Dan
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                        Then we'll be down to 7 active members.

It will happen. When it does and you lose the bet, you have to go see them!
                        Read my Kiwi Lips,IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
                        First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Dan
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                          new striped beanies!!!!
                          New Striped G-Strings.
                          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                            Hagar would absolutely do it without MA...it would mean more to him to get even with Roth and try to sell more cheesy bullshit to the masses.
                            Hmmm. I dunno. I don't see him being that loyal to Mike and then saying, "I'm just going do a quick tour with them to get back at Dave. And the brothers, too."

If you told me 30 years ago that in 30 years, I'd still be embroiled in the Roth/Hagar debate with the aid of a hand held device that looks like something out of Star Trek, with people all over the world who are just as fucked up as me about the effect Van Halen's poor decisions have had on me, and that we'd even still be discussing it on Christmas Eve 2015, I'd probably say, "yeah, and?"

Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

• saint
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              Hmmm. I dunno. I don't see him being that loyal to Mike and then saying, "I'm just going do a quick tour with them to get back at Dave. And the brothers, too."

If you told me 30 years ago that in 30 years, I'd still be embroiled in the Roth/Hagar debate with the aid of a hand held device that looks like something out of Star Trek, with people all over the world who are just as fucked up as me about the effect Van Halen's poor decisions have had on me, and that we'd even still be discussing it on Christmas Eve 2015, I'd probably say, "yeah, and?"

Merry Christmas everyone.
                              I am pretty sure he would, the taking Mikes part is, at least to some extent, a way for him to bash Ed. And I dont think Mike openly would object if Sam asked him, so he could always hide behind that.

Comment

• DaveTheScott
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jul 2007

I don't know that the whole "no projects outside the band" thing holds up any more...Wolf's got Tremonti, Alter Bridge, his own solo shit...but then again perhaps if your last name is Van Halen, you get a waiver...

(1) John 5 album needs to hit the fucking street. Period.
                                (2) EEAS reunion needs to hit the fucking street. Or at least SoCal. Period.
                                (3) VH has about 18 months to get something fucking done or they slip into irrelevancy. Period.
                                (4) Neither Dave nor Spam (have you heard the guy lately, Dave Haters? Please.) have the pipes left. Face it. But I don't see anyone walking around getting all nostalgic over "Right Now" or "Best of Both Worlds".
                                (5) $mart thing to do is bring back Mike, have a VH tour split with Dave and Bette-era portions of the show, Wolfie opens with Spumoni and then sits off the side of the stage posting to Instagram.
                                (6) With this business model, they can get double the $$$, and I will leave the show right after Dave does. :smile:
                                (7) Plus think of all the physical fights going on in the audience between the Dave/Hagar camps, entertaining to say the least and makes for a great concert vid. Success measured in number of injuries.
                                (8) We'll call it the "We Can't Believe Our Fans Ate The Whole Thing" tour...

Comment

Working...