Does the "Eat 'Em and Smile" Reunion talk say anything about the future of Van Halen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Never was
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2012

I struggle seeing Hagar return due to Wolfgang, management, it being personal, plus losing his voice badly the past year (he is 67 so not knocking him for that).
    Roth and Van Halen are a huge pain in each others ass and a clash of epic egos but never really was that personal.
    The simple truth is likely we will see. Clearly Roth did had issues (medical/personal whatever) on ADKOT tour and in 2014. He should up in 2015 not having his shit together and Eddie was clearly frustrated. Dave however did get his shit together and delivered a better than expected tour. So now Wolfgang has his thing, Dave is in LA which is a good sign, and Eddie seems content watching as proud dad what Wolfgang does. So Van Halen is likely a big we will see which is probably the most frustrating answer for fans. Optimistically Wolf does his thing, Eddie releases his book next summer, and then they see if Roth will play by their rules and record a new record in 2017. Worse case Wolf does his thing and Eddie just piddles around eventually doing dome instrumental music. I don't think Eddie ever records with another vocalist or tours with Hagar. I'm sure they will fan the Van Hagar flames and Dave is out, we hate each other story line since it simply works for them getting fans riled up more so than we do not know and I;m watching my kid do his thing so frankly don't really care now.

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I think the key to making a Van Slappy reunion tour profitable would be in the promotion. That's why they'd have to have Mike back for the tour. They didn't need to do any promotion in '07 cause Dave returning was a huge deal. Now, meh, not so much. But if they trot Sam out for a tour they'd have to hype the shit out of it. They'd get the buzz just from the fact that it was all four guys, sure, but they'd still need to hype it to get the word out to all the soccer moms who love that shit.

Of course, there's always gonna be a good size crowd who shows up for most of the big name shows that roll through town. You put Van Halen up on the marquee and people are gonna show up, regardless of whether it's Dave or Sam singing/screeching on stage. I'd bet money most of the people at the shows I went to would have showed up if it was Sam up there. And for a lot of the slightly younger than us crowd, Van Hagar is what they know and remember, which sucks for them cause we all know there ain't no comparison.

But if they brought Sam and Mike back, hyped the shit out of it, maybe actually had a serious stage show (the last one was a huge improvement and step in the right direction), then I can see it making money. I can see them following the same model as with Dave - do a tour, do a record and then another tour.

Anyways, this is all just speculation. Whatever those guys do, whether it's with Dave or Sam or with somebody else, their time is running out. So unless they pull off something big, like a new record with Dave or bringing back Sam and Mike, they're gonna have a tough time selling tickets in two or three years when they finally decide to come out of hibernation.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
        Head Fluffer
        • Apr 2012

I could definitely see Hagar being back in. Why? Because I read an interview with Al during their 2004 "love fest" tour with Sam where he strongly channeled his inner Taylor Swift- "we will never, ever, ever get back together with Dave" so people should "get over" the notion of Dave ever fronting the band again. Flash forward two years and Dave is back in. Ed runs the fucking show, so if he wants Sam back in, Sam will be back in. Sam is loyal to Mike, so I'm not sure he would do anything without Mike and I don't think Ed would jettison his kid just to make Sam happy, so who compromises? IMO, Ed holds all the cards here, so I'm doubting it would be him, unless WVH somehow convinces him to do it.

I agree with Terry. As inferior as that VH version is, I think a reconstituted Van Hagar would sell pretty well on tour and probably do as well as or close to as well as the last couple of Dave tours. There's no accounting for taste, so I'm sure there would be many who would willingly look toward the sky and gladly allow themselves to be covered with a yellowish-orange shower of Velveeta.
        Last edited by chuckjitsu; 12-26-2015, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Never was
          I struggle seeing Hagar return due to Wolfgang, management, it being personal, plus losing his voice badly the past year (he is 67 so not knocking him for that).

Bette is 68.....

And I'll repeat, and am willing to put a $100 wager on it towards Roth Army upgrades, that there is no way on The Invisible Man™ green earth that Bette returns without Mike.....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• cadaverdog
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Never was
            Roth and Van Halen are a huge pain in each others ass and a clash of epic egos but never really was that personal.
            It wasn't? Maybe you should watch this and tell me it's not that personal.
            Beware of Dog

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by cadaverdog
              It wasn't? Maybe you should watch this and tell me it's not that personal.

Not to mention going on tour with separate buses, separate dressing rooms and hardly speaking unless they're on stage...
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

Sounds like they are married
                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                  Sounds like they are married
                  If I could get that kind of deal I'd consider getting married again.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                    Bette is 68.....

And I'll repeat, and am willing to put a $100 wager on it towards Roth Army upgrades, that there is no way on The Invisible Man™ green earth that Bette returns without Mike.....
                    Yep, no way in hell Sam is gonna front that band without Mike. And I don't think Mike coming back would be much of a deal breaker. At some point Wolf is gonna get kinda bored with being daddy's crutch. Or he's just gonna want to do his own thing, whatever that is.

And no matter what Ed has said about Mike or what Sam's said about Ed, it would be just like it was on these tours with Roth - Ed and Al would hide out in their buses and wouldn't say jack shit on stage, especially Ed. He'd give Sam the fake hug every nite and people would cheer like a bunch of idiots and the reviewers would write about how they really seem to have buried the hatchet and appreciate each other and all the ridiculous shit they did while Dave was up there. And it would be just as true as it was with Dave - in other words complete horse shit.

Unless Ed suddenly comes down with a terminal case of loyalty, he's going to tour with whoever can put asses in the seats. Period. As recently as this last tour he was still deriding Dave's contribution to the band - "For whatever reason" people want to hear Dave singing the songs. And when he's being interviewed in the middle of the next tour with Sam, he'll make the same derisive and/or indifferent comments about Sam. Why? Because Ed cannot stand the fact that him and Al and Ed and Wolf can't go on tour without Sam or Dave. They just can't do it alone and nobody gives two shits about them unless they have one of the two guys they hate the most out there singing the songs.

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

On wolfs Twitter he is constantly updating pics of him on the studio working on his album , when that's finished he is gonna surely want to tour it , he has loads of pals he can call on to help him tour it.

I think for the foreseeable future you have as much chance of seeing wolf tour with them as you have with Dave.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Hey Mike and Sam, what do you guys think about the news that David Lee Roth might reunite with his Eat Em And Smile band mates?

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Mike's wig is starting to look like the late Jim Traficant's wig!

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

I wanna grab that fucking chin wig on Hagar and swing him about with it ,smelly twat.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I think people are using the term "reunite" loosely, when it comes to whatever is or isn't going to happen with the EEAS band.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                                I wanna grab that fucking chin wig on Hagar and swing him about with it ,smelly twat.
                                I know, right? His wife must be a saint.

Comment

Working...