How many of you actually have seen Van Halen live?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

nope, miss tracy
    Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 06-08-2011, 09:11 PM. Reason: boobs
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Dan
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Sweet As.
      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• mug
        Head Fluffer
        • Mar 2005

The ticket says sept.12. College was in session. We partyed at some campus parties.ummmmmm

Comment

• GreenBayLA
          Sniper
          • Jan 2006

Emerald City Chronicle was local paper in Madison, WI (Home of The Onion) that had write-up on Van Halen and their 1978 club date at The Shuffle Inn. Note Michael wearing a Mad City t-shirt.

See story of that issue here http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Emerald-Mil...-/390312610350
          Last edited by GreenBayLA; 06-09-2011, 02:56 AM.
          "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

Both dates in Kansas City in 1978 the first one I had heard them on the radio but they were so knew I didn't really notice who was on the ticket with I believe Ozzy we were all standing around bs'ing and the warm up band was setting up then Ed struck a cord and started Eruption, maybe ? I just remember the whole concert hall stopped talking and every head slowly turned towards the stage in awe....within seconds my world changed and I found what perhaps is the greatest band in history, in front of my naked steaming eyes.

Great music, from other acts I like a varied book, great music after, many shows never a Hagar w VH and as I have stated here before I haven't purchased any of the original 6 since DLR split I didn't want any national record of sales enabling anyone to think I didn't leave when Dave left.

I have always thought in my head that I was perhaps to biased but that night in 78 was reallly something outstanding.

It's just like this folks, It's only Rock and Roll and if it is good done well, I am down.

Not looking for a miracle from a some new music, just good done well...
            Last edited by clarathecarrot; 06-09-2011, 03:11 AM.
            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

I recall that band G Force opening for them in 1981. They fucking sucked. Loud ass bullshit music, with the lead shouter (who played "SYNTHESIZER") screaming into the mic once in awhile "OK LET'S SEE HOW IT SOUNDS ON SYNTHESIZER!!!!!" and then he would play a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Just one of many bands VH had open for them who were lame, or outright sucked fucking ass.

Their 1979 tour they had some band from Illinois (I think) open for them in Wichita called Screams. They did not suck, but they were extremely lame. Like a lame cover band from a shit-hole club that got lucky and was asked to open for VH.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                I recall that band G Force opening for them in 1981. They fucking sucked. Loud ass bullshit music, with the lead shouter (who played "SYNTHESIZER") screaming into the mic once in awhile "OK LET'S SEE HOW IT SOUNDS ON SYNTHESIZER!!!!!" and then he would play a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Just one of many bands VH had open for them who were lame, or outright sucked fucking ass.
                When they played South Florida on the HYS tour, they had some ghastly horn band opening for them. To this day I couldn't name the band with a gun to my head, but I do recall that they took home quite a collection of batteries, bottles, cups and wadded-up garbage as a souvenir of the experience after the crowd pelted them off the stage.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  When they played South Florida on the HYS tour, they had some ghastly horn band opening for them.
                  Was that at the old 'Snortatorium'?
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                    Was that at the old 'Snortatorium'?
                    Oh, hell yes. Also (not-so) affectionately known as the "Puke-atorium", the list of groups that played that hole in the Everglades over the years is astounding. It boggles the mind to think that Zeppelin once played there. Here's a partial list:

Hollywood Sportatorium

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

In 1984 I was in front of Van Halen's stage and this rock a billy band called The Velcros were the opening act. The audience hated them. People started throwing shit at the band. A half pint liquor bottle flew over my head. Some dude threw a handful of loose change as hard as he could at one of the guitar players and you could hear all the coins hit the hollow wood body of it. Anyways, the audience drove the fuckers off the stage early. It was great.
                      Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-09-2011, 02:40 PM.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2007

I remember seeing The Velcros. They opened up for Van Halen in Los Angeles in 1984. We nearly booed them off the stage. In fact, I think they were booed off stage. They don't seem so bad now that I see them 25 years later.

cvjucla3 2 years ago
                        Whatever booking agent put these nice fellas on the same bill as Van Halen was a sadist. In their defense this band ALWAYS got people up and dancing when they played the Northeast club scene. In retrospect what they/we needed was originals. But hindsight is, as they say, 20/20. Cheers.

usmcfutball 2 years ago
                        @cvjucla3 They Got Booed but never left

uhad2bethere100 9 months ago

i never knew sadaist was in the biz
                        Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 06-09-2011, 02:39 PM. Reason: boobs
                        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69

Their 1979 tour they had some band from Illinois (I think) open for them in Wichita called Screams. They did not suck, but they were extremely lame. Like a lame cover band from a shit-hole club that got lucky and was asked to open for VH.
                          I think VH purposely had very lame bands open for them. What's funny is when VH was the opening act they upstaged the headliners. Anyways having a shitty band piss the audience off primes them to go totally ape shit when the lights go down, Eddie's guitar starts making noise and Roth comes out in some crazy outfit yelling that the audience are the biggest bunch of crazy motherfuckers he has ever seen. Of course he said that in every town but the audience would respond with high decibels of craziness and then it was off to the races.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Whatever booking agent put these nice fellas on the same bill as Van Halen was a sadist.

I thought the drunk rednecks in the audience in Idaho were going to kill them. It reminded me of that scene in the Blues Brothers movie.

Comment

• riggodrill44
                              Roadie
                              • Nov 2004

Diver Down and 1984 tours at Capital Centre in Largo, MD.

Comment

• rocking ron
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Sep 2010

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF first time I saw VH live was in 1993 during their European tour.

Second time was an open-air show in , I guess 1995 and, they had to open for ...............................BON JOVI !!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it ????????????/

I do, why??? Because this was ( also ) a Van Hagar show, that's why !!!!!

I've seen Dave 5 times playing live and met him during an interview in Holland for Dutch TV !!!

The shows I've been were : 4 Sept 1988 during the Skyscraper-tour (1st Monsters of Rock ever in Holland ) outdoor show this was a KICK-ASS show
                                1988 also Skyscraper-tour// indoor// full show , show above was more like 'greatest hits' happening
                                1991 Little ain't enough tour //indoor//full show
                                1999 Amsterdam Paradiso
                                1999 Tilburg 013 both in Holland, those were the 2 'warm-up' shows for the European tour

There are bootlegs ( got them all ofcourse ) from all of these shows but from 1 of the '99 shows is the title : Pot is legal around here!!! ( Tilburg, June 1999)

You know why??? Çause me and my pal were smokin' pot in front of stage and throwed a half joint to the guitar player during the song Ain't talkin' bout love,
                                Dave was talking during the break in this song and the giutar player started to early with playing, so Dave was yelling at him , take it easy Bud take it easy,( or don't get nervous ) you know :
                                Pot is legal around here hahaha!!!

During the day we've met the band members and some roadies in town already and buyed some pot for them and we're having dinner with those guys!! I've talked a lot with the bass-player Todd Jensen ( real nice guy ) but we didn't met Dave!!!

We get some backstage passes so we thought to met him later BUT!!! At the end of the show ( during Unchained ) there was something not right on stage ( some cables !! in the way) and Dave went completely pisses off and no one could use their backstage-passes after the show because he left the building immediatly after the show ( asshole!!)

I think he was a little "tired" from the show one day before in Amsterdam!!! There they did their sound-check 15 minutes before the show!!! Why??? because
                                of a little too much : & &

Comment

Working...