The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VanHalener
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by IceCreamBlondie
    Thanks..returning member here.!!!

ROTH ON!!!
    OWWWWWW!
    Welcome back.

Get your Van Halen on right here before your naked streaming eyes!

~WHEWWWWWW~
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
      I keed......

I've been seriously wanting to get back into vinyl....building a system again.

CD's, MP3's just suck......guitar tone killers, IMO!
      I have a bunch of McIntosh stuff and this is what I have learned. Go with a tube preamp and a modern high quality solid state power amp. Frankly some of the PA power amps are very good now. Then put your money into the speakers.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Halen High
        Commando
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
        Sounds better and I wish I had my vinyl six-pack back
        When CDs were first released, I made the mistake of selling most of my vinyl albums. I kept some CVH and a few others but sold about 100-120 albums all up - boy do I regret that now. I've bought a few second hand ones lately - they range from about $15-$40 in Australia (second hand).

Absolutely thrilled to hear A Different Kind Of Truth will be released on vinyl.

Comment

• Jetstream
          Foot Soldier
          • Dec 2011

Being an artist, I love the large scale cover art of vinyl. I have Van Halen I, Wome and Children First (with classic Dave poster) Fair Warning, Eat Em' N Smile, Crazy From the Heat and Skyscraper and I treasure them
          I got lost in the...

Comment

• Halen High
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
            Being an artist, I love the large scale cover art of vinyl. I have Van Halen I, Wome and Children First (with classic Dave poster) Fair Warning, Eat Em' N Smile, Crazy From the Heat and Skyscraper and I treasure them
            I'm not an artist but I share your interest in cover art. CDs just don't have the same impact.

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              I seem to remember having to get up all the time to turn them over though.
              That's what you call an 'investment'; those of us who learned about it appreciate music in a way that younger folks who are growing up with downloads don't. Getting up to change sides was just the last stage in a lot of effort to get to the music - beginning, often, with having to send away and wait weeks, or making a special journey to Glasgow, the nearest city to where I lived, and which was the only way you would be guaranteed to get what you wanted.

Investments worth making! And, you don't skip tracks, or just listen to the first 20 seconds of it on youtube before saying 'this sucks'!!
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Roth & Roll
                Foot Soldier
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
                That's what you call an 'investment'; those of us who learned about it appreciate music in a way that younger folks who are growing up with downloads don't. Getting up to change sides was just the last stage in a lot of effort to get to the music - beginning, often, with having to send away and wait weeks, or making a special journey to Glasgow, the nearest city to where I lived, and which was the only way you would be guaranteed to get what you wanted.

Investments worth making! And, you don't skip tracks, or just listen to the first 20 seconds of it on youtube before saying 'this sucks'!!
                Unfortunately, much of what you say is a lost art. I hate to generalize, but the large majority of folks under 35 who grew up in the "digital" age will never understand, or experience this. And that is unfortunate, because that feeling of excitement is one that I remember fondly from my high school years.

Heck, i still vividly remember skipping school and making the 30 minute walk to Sam The Record Man while it was -20 outside, to buy 1984 when it was first released. It was all worth it the second I got home, cranked up my sound system and popped the needle down on side 2 (I always used to listed to new records from side 2 first - a quirky habit), and being completely blown away by Hot For Teacher.
                http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...oker-small.jpg

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I have a bunch of McIntosh stuff and this is what I have learned. Go with a tube preamp and a modern high quality solid state power amp. Frankly some of the PA power amps are very good now. Then put your money into the speakers.
                  Can't stress the speaker part... that's the single biggest sin of the digital age. It's doesn't fucking matter how sonically perfect the CD/DVD is and playback unit digitally processes it!! If you are sending that output to a pair of 3/8ths inch ear buds you are losing 90% of the sound... laptop speakers 85% lost... even a good computer speaker system with a 5 inch sub and 2 2.5 inch tweeters you are just getting over driven lows and highs.

On topic... I first listened to Tattoo with ear buds. Caught the groove and mix sounded... just ok. When I got the chance to crack it in my studio... the song breathed. The sonic space opened up wide open. I could not only hear but feel Al's kick drum and Wolf's bass... On another site some yahoo "remastered" the MP3 that was released... claiming it must of been unmastered. Some comments were positive... all he did was run it through an EQ and tweeked the frequencies and hushed some high end. Totally unnecessary... only enhanced the tiny speaker experience. Which sucks no matter what you do and how much you spend on headphones...

Seriously... this won't even sound like the same song live... through real speakers. It will kill...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

VH - A Different Kind of Truth - available in double vinyl gatefold cover:

=V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Aw shit! The "Tattoo" video now has over 2 MILLION views on YouTube!

Comment

• INeedYou
                        Groupie
                        • Jan 2012

Now folks just have music on... We grew up listening to it! And I still do to this day. At work someone'll turn on the iPod, crank it, then walk out. I'd rather leave it off because I tend to distract myself by wantining to listen too closely! I tell 'em I take it too seriously to have it on in the background. BTW, all my vinyl has travelled with me through 30-plus years of travels, including the 6pack and the DLR poster!
                        No light at the end of the tunnel, due to budget constraints...

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2005

Has anyone seen or heard of any sales figures yet on the first week of downloads for Tattoo? I am curious to know how many bought the single like i did.
                          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                            Has anyone seen or heard of any sales figures yet on the first week of downloads for Tattoo? I am curious to know how many bought the single like i did.
                            We won't know until the new Billboard charts are released on Thursday.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                              We won't know until the new Billboard charts are released on Thursday.
                              So, do you think Tattoo could crack the top 20? I mean the actual chart - not the rock chart.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• chi-town324
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Feb 2007

wasnt it # 18 on the rock charts?...i could be wrong

Comment

Working...