The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

alright, finally got around to giving my take on this, so here it goes.

I don't like this song. I just don't. It's not that I don't appreciate the value of it, and what it means to me as a Van HALEN fan. Frankly, it's great that we at least got a taste of the 'Halen that we've been lacking since 96.

But the song itself? Not good. I was by far more excited by "She's the Woman" that we'll hear the studio version of come February, and that's what I'm going to base what my feel of the album's going to be.

It's also awesome that we're getting another tour and A POSSIBLE DVD that's to come out with the same CD. This is great!. I'll stay loyal, and probably enjoy the album very much, but this track is a bit of clunker for me.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
      Bugger ! I would like to see the hand written lyrics. Will have to find out why my
      PC is blocking photobucket. Thanks
      You can also view them on the front page of the vhnd.com
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bleater
        Baaa......
        Still bouncing off the walls, eh Bleater?

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Unchainme
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2005

To clarify, I hope I don't come out as trashing the band in anyway.

just because the song doesn't hit my ears right, doesn't mean that I'm not excited for 2012 and Van Halen in general!

felt very wrong to see a sheep thank my post, hence the clarifcation.
          Last edited by Unchainme; 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM.
          Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
            Sniper
            • Jan 2004

Bleater? Dave Hagar Fan?

It's been awhile.
            WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
              To clarify, I hope I don't come out as trashing the band in anyway.

just because the song doesn't hit my ears right, doesn't mean that I'm excited for 2012 and Van Halen in general!

felt very wrong to see a sheep thank my post, hence the clarifcation.
              You might want to re read that, but I know what you mean. You still in Cleveland?

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                Sniper
                • Jan 2004

Or not

Comment

• hambon4lif
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                  Bleater? Dave Hagar Fan?
                  They're one and the same. He'd like everyone to think otherwise, but he keeps doing stupid shit that gives him away constantly...

...though I gotta say, the last time I saw him this bitter and pissed off was when they cancelled 'Will & Grace'.

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by golitely
                    Here's a non sequitur and I'm throwing it out cuz I noticed it (pretty sure) in the Tattoo video just now, does Dave now wax his chest? Looking at some of the stuff online from the last tour, I kinda thought so, but haven't seen him full shirt off in years so can't say 100% (and please don't take this is a Dave hair direction!)
                    Well, at Cafe Wha? a couple of weeks ago, the top of his shirt was open a little bit and I did see some hairs peeking out.

I also got to see the fillings in the back of his mouth every time he opened wide and leaned back a little.

Comment

• fifth element
                      Commando
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      Is it giving an error talking about being viewed too many times?

Cato got that error in his Photobucket account with our first batch of DLR pics....
                      no, i just pull it up and see the little box w/ the x through it...
                      you know the one...lol...
                      it yells...you're not gonna see THIS pic......
                      “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• fifth element
                        Commando
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        Same here. At work, I get a bunch of whited out or red x images, at home everything overlaps making the page incomprehensible. And I still have no idea what the full lyrics say.
                        yep...same here...
                        “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Forget reading the lyrics from Dave... play the song backwards and it says Wolfie is the Walrus... Cheese burgers for free... Tattoo, Fattoo...

Cherone is dead... despite his rectum reach arounds... Tattoo, Tattoo. and Hagar needs to to shut his red rocker pie hole... Tattoo. Frattoo...

Then there's the hidden part in the outro... listen very closely... it says bass player number two, Tattoo, Tattoo... makes more than me... despite his sexy dragon magic... tattoo, number two

It's all just Me Wise Magic...
                          Attached Files
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ian_hitmanhart
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Feb 2004

The first single is a great sign for me personally, because I cant stop listening to Tattoo. I think its a awesome song, so if Tattoo is supposedly a mediocre song, bring on the fucking album I say. I'm buzzing for the release of the new Van Halen album. Critics are desperate to either hate it or love it, so it doesnt surprise me that the knives are out of Dave and the boys.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Another musical nod in Tattoo struck me earlier. The first was the 'Tears Are Falling' chorus riff (KISS) right before the 'Tattoo' chorus. Then this morning, when I heard Dave sing "of the chapter he was in" (yes, I'm still digging the song) it reminded me of Alice from 'Teenage Lament '74' singing "I read that it was in".
                              I'm not claiming that the band intentionally lifted these odd bits... I always find it interesting when I hear a little piece here or there that may have subconsciously influenced an artist.

Comment

• Golden AWe
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                                I always find it interesting when I hear a little piece here or there that may have subconsciously influenced an artist.
                                I'm really surprised it's you who hears KISS everywhere
                                Originally posted by Cato
                                Golden, why are you FAT?
                                Originally posted by lesfunk
                                Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                                http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

Working...