The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

now that we've had a few months to absorb the adkot...

tattoo makes even more sense. fucking great song.

a little tarmac under the tires; some time in the rearview mirror.
    Last edited by ashstralia; 05-24-2012, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• loucap81
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2012

I think I'm one of the few people who likes the video better than the song. I think the video is hilarious, kind of a spoof on "Jump." I especially like the part where it shows Alex drumming in slow motion like your garden variety, cheesy '80s hair band video.

As for the song, I don't think it's bad but it's still the weakest on the album for me. I also don't think it flows with any of the other songs on the album. Also, I've always thought "Down in Flames" as well as the original "She's the Woman" were two of their weaker non-album cuts. So I definitely think the album gets off to a weak start though the rest of it is quite good.

It's funny, the other Down In Flames-inspired song in VH's catalog, their rendition of "You're No Good," was also a weak album opener. But they really must love the core riffs of "Down in Flames" to have brought it back again. The original Down in Flames was played a lot during the 1978 tour and they apparently had big plans for it that just never materialized. My contention on why it never took off--because it's just not that good of a song.

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

thoroughly understand and respect your opinion lou.

it's just that i listened to it last night (with a few beers on board) and loved it, like the first time i heard it.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by loucap81

It's funny, the other Down In Flames-inspired song in VH's catalog, their rendition of "You're No Good," was also a weak album opener. But they really must love the core riffs of "Down in Flames" to have brought it back again. The original Down in Flames was played a lot during the 1978 tour and they apparently had big plans for it that just never materialized. My contention on why it never took off--because it's just not that good of a song.
          Although the music is Down in Flames, Roth has rewritten the entire vocal melody and improved it hugely.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
            now that we've had a few months to absorb the adkot...

tattoo makes even more sense. fucking great song.

a little tarmac under the tires; some time in the rearview mirror.
            3 months later, "Tattoo" still makes it for me - but everybody's got their own take, that's it...

"Tattoo" was the first NEW tune since MWM and CGTSNM, I still feel enthusiastic when I listen to it,
            and I think I'll never get bored of it.
            You're right though, the video did a lot for us fans to dig it.

Sure "Tattoo" is poppier and more radio-oriented than the rest. But again, everybody's got their
            own way of enjoying the album.
            I personally got tired of "Outta Space" and "China Town" quickly - I'm ashamed but I just can't stand
            them; I love the solo and outro in Outta Space, though.
            China Town... never made it to me. They'd never made any tune like that in the 6-pack, I mean I hear
            a tune that's made up with bits and pieces and sounds artificial.

It's surprising when you have a look into the thread where Army members rank their most liked tunes to
            the least, there are amazingly big differences sometimes.

Back to topic to conclude, the moment when Dave's screams meet with the beginning of Ed's solo is classic
            and kickass!
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• loucap81
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              Although the music is Down in Flames, Roth has rewritten the entire vocal melody and improved it hugely.
              Yeah Tattoo is definitely cheerier and bluesier as opposed to the dour, dark mood of the original DIF. Still doesn't do it for me though. And again it's not a bad song, I'd rather listen to it than "I'll Wait," but if I had to rank every song VH ever did it'd be hovering around the bottom.

Comment

• DlocRoth
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I listened to Tattoo about 5000 times on youtube before I got the CD and loved it. But it just doesnt fit on the disc with the other material. Maybe because I overplayed the fuck out of it.

That being said, I listened to it a few days ago in the car for the first time in months and its a good song....

Shouldnt have been the first single......

There are no weak songs on this album. It's like admitting which of your kids you hate more.
                Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                  I listened to Tattoo about 5000 times on youtube before I got the CD and loved it. But it just doesnt fit on the disc with the other material. Maybe because I overplayed the fuck out of it.

That being said, I listened to it a few days ago in the car for the first time in months and its a good song....

Shouldnt have been the first single......

There are no weak songs on this album. It's like admitting which of your kids you hate more.

I honestly believe a lot of the bad rap this song gets is because of the really crummy video for it. Looked cheap, Dave has a couple weird spots in it, song doesn't synch up to video in some spots.....just cruddy. And that visual made us hear the song differently than if we just heard it.

STOP! watching the video & give this song a chance everyone. it really is a pretty good "radio friendly" type of VH song.

Now show me your dragon magic!!!!!
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                    It's like admitting which of your kids you hate more.

Umm......

Usually the phrase is which of your kids you LOVE more.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Angel
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      Umm......

Usually the phrase is which of your kids you LOVE more.

"Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• VanHalener
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

It's cranked and rolling down a Virginia highway with me right now.

~Zero Defects~

OWWWWWW!!!
                        ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• Yount
                          Commando
                          • Jan 2012

so autobiographic

Comment

• Angel
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                            so autobiographic
                            Someone open the sheep pen!!! And give me a fucking job...always wanted to hear how loud a sheep wails with a broomstick up his ass...
                            "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Yount
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Angel
                              Someone open the sheep pen!!! And give me a fucking job...always wanted to hear how loud a sheep wails with a broomstick up his ass...
                              Here's someone who doesn't get it.

Comment

• Angel
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                                Here's someone who doesn't get it.
                                Obviously not. Rolling eyes must have a different meaning to you than it does me.

Comment

Working...