The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Bug
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Nice way to start the day... BLASTING Tattoo. It's a good morning kicker...
    Yep, did that and replayed it 3 times, better then a morning coffee.....
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
      been listening to Tattoo nonstop but I think there is something to the song which sort of hit me about the backing vocals which I do not think anyone has suggested. Dave in his solo work liked to add that major low voice to the harmonies on his solo lp DLR Band and it might very well be him on Tattoo but I don't think it is. Eddie has a very low voice and I think it is Eddie going Tattoo really low and not actually Dave. Dave sure the hell is capable of it and it really sounds like Eddie's voice to me if you listen close. I know it is just the video and people in videos just sing along but it is not out of the question that low voice is Eddie in the lines 'tattoo tattoo'.
      You might be right, as Ed lip syncs the "tattoo tattoo"... but so does Wolf, then...

I've wondered about that myself too, but can't really tell either.

Anyway, the song has been sticking to my mind since yesterday like a er... tattoo

How kickass it is to see them back together and tighter than ever together, just as if
      there hadn't ever been any gap!

No shit, this "Tattoo" will stick hard!
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• tod
        Roadie
        • Mar 2004

I'm being a whiner here cuz I missed the window and now Amazon won't sell it...just says Jan 14th release date

been listening to Tattoo nonstop

Comment

• DLR'sCock
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

I'm digging how in little sections the film is going in reverse like the one part with dave and the scraf and a couple of bits with Al's drumming..........

Comment

• tod
            Roadie
            • Mar 2004

I'm a conspiracy nut so I read little things like that as symbolic. I keep wondering if they need a disclaimer at the beginning for epileptics...that strobe effect is pretty thick.

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
            I'm digging how in little sections the film is going in reverse like the one part with dave and the scraf and a couple of bits with Al's drumming..........

Comment

• DLR'sCock
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

I don't know if anyone else here has called into their local radio to request the song, but I did this morning.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I don't know if anyone else here has called into their local radio to request the song, but I did this morning.
                That worked in the day where radio stations were locally owned but those have been all bought up by big media companies and the corporation decides the format. Thank's to Bush thay all have a device where the government literally can take over the broadcast at will if they want. The DJ is no longer in charge of songs. They are given a script and told what to do. If you don't tow the line you get canned.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• moose
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by K-tuna
                  I know the preference of using Amazon is there with a lot of members, but since they're goofing so bad , have you tried Itunes?
                  That's where my son and all his buddies got the
                  tune
                  I tried with Amazon.....got fed up
                  Went to ITunes

Comment

• Mr Walker
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Just some random thoughts and comments...

I'm very happy that I'm listening to this song a lot because I genuinely like it... not because I'm trying to convince myself that I like it. All you want is for the lead off hitter to get on base... a single is fine... he doesn't need to hit a home run. IMO, it's got a great vibe and swagger to it... what more were people expecting. I mean let's be honest... Van Halen couldn't out do 'Fair Warning' even when they were in their prime... was there really any expectation that they would be able to do it 30 years later?

I could have did without the keyboards... it just begs for that old contention that Dave didn't want keyboards in VH. I don't think Dave ever had a problem with keyboards... i think he just made the correct point that Van Halen fans didn't want to come to a Van Halen concert and watch Ed's 'dead ass play the keyboard'... I mean fuck, would fans go to a Clapton, Beck, Hendrix (etc) concert and be happy to see them sit or stand at a keyboard? Fuck no.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's playing is a little subdued on the track... instead of using keyboards to add depth to the song, why not have Ed throw in some more fills. Maybe this is just a more disciplined Edward playing these days.

I am still convinced that Ted Templeman is the only producer who knows how to make David Lee Roth sound like 'David Lee Roth'.

Comment

• bru87tr
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2004

When it was released yesterday, I had no problem finding it on two different radio stations on the way to work.
                      "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• bru87tr
                        Commando
                        • Apr 2004

been listening to Tattoo nonstop but I think there is something to the song which sort of hit me about the backing vocals which I do not think anyone has suggested. Dave in his solo work liked to add that major low voice to the harmonies on his solo lp DLR Band and it might very well be him on Tattoo but I don't think it is. Eddie has a very low voice and I think it is Eddie going Tattoo really low and not actually Dave. Dave sure the hell is capable of it and it really sounds like Eddie's voice to me if you listen close. I know it is just the video and people in videos just sing along but it is not out of the question that low voice is Eddie in the lines 'tattoo tattoo'.
                        It is definitely Ed. I noticed that too.
                        "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                          Just some random thoughts and comments...

I'm very happy that I'm listening to this song a lot because I genuinely like it... not because I'm trying to convince myself that I like it. All you want is for the lead off hitter to get on base... a single is fine... he doesn't need to hit a home run. IMO, it's got a great vibe and swagger to it... what more were people expecting. I mean let's be honest... Van Halen couldn't out do 'Fair Warning' even when they were in their prime... was there really any expectation that they would be able to do it 30 years later?

I could have did without the keyboards... it just begs for that old contention that Dave didn't want keyboards in VH. I don't think Dave ever had a problem with keyboards... i think he just made the correct point that Van Halen fans didn't want to come to a Van Halen concert and watch Ed's 'dead ass play the keyboard'... I mean fuck, would fans go to a Clapton, Beck, Hendrix (etc) concert and be happy to see them sit or stand at a keyboard? Fuck no.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's playing is a little subdued on the track... instead of using keyboards to add depth to the song, why not have Ed throw in some more fills. Maybe this is just a more disciplined Edward playing these days.

I am still convinced that Ted Templeman is the only producer who knows how to make David Lee Roth sound like 'David Lee Roth'.
                          I agree. I heard it on the radio last night on the way home from work. A. I thought i dig this tune. B. I thought Templeman would have done a better job with it. That may be a large part of the guitar being subdued as well IMO.

And I'm glad you finally chimed in.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            That worked in the day where radio stations were locally owned but those have been all bought up by big media companies and the corporation decides the format. Thank's to Bush thay all have a device where the government literally can take over the broadcast at will if they want. The DJ is no longer in charge of songs. They are given a script and told what to do. If you don't tow the line you get canned.
                            No kidding, but there are still some smaller stations out there that you can call in and request and I did so on my local NJ station and they do play requests. The corporately owned ones will play a request if it is in their play list and at least on the Classic rock stations, this song probably is in the play list right now.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bru87tr
                              When it was released yesterday, I had no problem finding it on two different radio stations on the way to work.
                              Yeah, I know people are playing it.....but it would bode well for the single and new album if people are actually requesting it.......

Comment

• Full Bug
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

Mr. Walker! How the hell have you been?
                                Great to see ya bro.....
                                Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

Working...