The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yomaster
    Roadie
    • Feb 2004

After listening to the song numerous times I have heard it enough. The monotonous chorus is just dreadful. The rest of the song is pretty good. But for me the chorus is so bad I've had enough of this song. But I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Zing!
      P.S. On the bright side, I just overhead my 8-year-old singing: "I've got Elvis...on my elbow..."

AWESOME!!!

My 8 year old daughter was singing it too...just last night when I put her to bed!!
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Grit
        Roadie
        • Oct 2011

I don't know how they choose what to lead off with or when to release the next track, but maybe they were testing the waters a bit with "Tattoo" (solid song but clearly not the best on the Album) and will release one of the ass-kickers (which I truly believe there will be many) when the album is released to get the maximum burst! Like I said, I have no idea how that shit works but who knows? I do know I can't wait til I have the CD in hand!

Comment

• Zing!
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
          AWESOME!!!

My 8 year old daughter was singing it too...just last night when I put her to bed!!
          And last night my 8-year-old and my 4-year-old were BOTH singing: "Comemumumumah babeee...bottoms UP!"

Followed by: "That's funny. Bottoms up. Heee heee. Bottoms."
          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• if6was9
            Head Fluffer
            • Mar 2007

I love this track, but I think I know why some people complain about it. It sounds heavy and slow because of bass, which accents on "and" part of a bar (upbeat). In some moments bass goes unisono with the rhythm guitar and it slows it down even further. The exception is the pre-chorus, it's much more energetic and faster than the rest of the song.
            Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• LUDWIG USA
              Groupie
              • Apr 2009

Just had a funny thought about the midget from fantasy Island named Tattoo. Would have been fun to have had him in the new video playing with the dog or whatever.

Comment

• chi-town324
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Feb 2007

is growing on me too.. I'm trying not to burn out on it so I'm only listening to it about 3 times a day!...but loving it more and more

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2006

This album is going to fucking smoke! Tattoo has grown on me so quickly that this song has already melted into the six pack. Basically one month away from seeing some of this album played live and an attitude that only the Mighty Van Halen can bring to the city nearest you

Comment

• chi-town324
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Feb 2007

Matt! whats up my brother??

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2006

Hey Rob, all is well. Gearing up for an Indianapolis date in February. Working, hanging out, watching Football and anticipating wildly, A Different Kind Of Truth. Nice to see you posting again.

Comment

• Zing!
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by if6was9
                        I love this track, but I think I know why some people complain about it. It sounds heavy and slow because of bass, which accents on "and" part of a bar (upbeat). In some moments bass goes unisono with the rhythm guitar and it slows it down even further. The exception is the pre-chorus, it's much more energetic and faster than the rest of the song.
                        Man I wished I knew what the hell you were talking about. I don't have a musical bone in my body...
                        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Just heard "Tattoo" during a break in the action at the Penguins/Panthers game in Florida.....
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

I really don't understand why some folks are underwhelmed by this. All that i can think is that they had expectations which were too high. Did you really expect a bunch of guys in their mid-50s to replicate the 6 pack?

'Tattoo' is probably the 'popiest' track on the album - it will consequently a broader audience via radio.

Nothing more to it....
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by if6was9
                              The pre-chorus is the best part of the song IMHO.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                The pre-chorus is the best part of the song IMHO.
                                Yep. Especially the third (or fourth?) go around at the 3:31 mark. Dave kicks it out a liiiiittle harder.

Comment

Working...