Van Halen--TOUR REHEARSAL--LA--FORUM--2/8/12--Roth Army Exclusive!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hotsummerknight
    Groupie
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Truly great singers don't even need a microphone. Truly great singers don't even need to sing. They can just beam their vocals directly into your brain using a psychic Vulcan mind-meld vocal link.

Right?

Come on. That is one of the most idiotic statements I have ever heard.

That is like saying a truly great guitar player does not need to play a Les Paul. Or a truly great drummer does not need a crash cymbal. Or a truly great keyboard player does not need to play a synthesizer.

But then, we get all kinds around here.

Have a nice day.

What do you mean a truly great guitar player does not need to play a Les Paul?? That is not true at all.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by rcmr001
      In reference to DLR Bridge's post on 2/8 "In a little more than a half a year, the guy turns 59. Most guys his age struggle to pick up the morning paper off the front porch. "...

...actually, he turns 57 in October (born in '55)...but you're right - many men his age can't put their socks on without pain.

You're both wrong.... He was born in '54, he's 57 right now, turns 58 in October....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        You're both wrong.... He was born in '54, he's 57 right now, turns 58 in October....
        Hmmmm. I always thought they lied about their ages by two whole years. Dave was always listed as born in'55. Sorry. Been wrong before. But let me tell ya, it's rare! Not really.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

I thought it was '55

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

The thing about lying about their ages in the early days is interesting. Ed once said - in the post-Dave Van Hagar era when they were at loggerheads - that Dave was the one who always wanted to be in his 20s forever.

But when you look at it - it was Ed who had the most age knocked off. The publicity machine used say he was born in '57, when in fact he is only three months younger than Dave (his birthday is Jan. 55, and Dave's is Oct '54).

Dave used to knock a year off his age, Ed two years - and Al and Mike were honest!!
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Somebody get Dave on the horn.

Comment

• rcmr001
                Roth Army Recruit
                • Jan 2005

Interesting...I've been stalking him since '81 and all the mags reported '55 for him, Alex and Mike A., '57 for Eddie. But in googling...well, it's all different.
                But - http://www.amazon.com/David-Lee-Roth/e/B000APZPEG - on the right, the bio says '55.

Who knows for sure.......

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

turns 58 in Rothtober....

Fixed
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• fifth element
                    Commando
                    • Nov 2010

sources, anyone? I have seen his birthdate listed several times as October 10, 1955,
                    but if they have been lying about their ages, who knows how many internet sources may be off....

Just curious, VA...where did you get the '54 date?

Wiki, Time,and 3-4 other sources say '55
                    Q103 says '54
                    digtriad and 1 other source i pulled up says October 9th, not 10th....

*shrug*
                    Last edited by fifth element; 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM.
                    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• VHscraps
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2009

Dave nails it in his book - in his own words - 'I was born in Bloomington, Indiana, October 10, 1954' (p. 11)

And in the video interview with DLR, Ed and Al - posted here last week - Ed says 'we left Holland in 1962, when I was seven', or words to that effect.

The incorrect dates of birth still circulate, because journalists and the like look at old clippings and bios
                      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by fifth element
                        Just curious, VA...where did you get the '54 date?
                        What do you think? I fuckin' called Dave and asked him !!

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Ah the book! Well that settles that. Hey Scraps, what on Earth is going on in your new Avatar? Can't make it out on my gadget.

Comment

• fifth element
                            Commando
                            • Nov 2010

What do you think? I fuckin' called Dave and asked him !!

lol...works for me!
                            “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              Ah the book! Well that settles that. Hey Scraps, what on Earth is going on in your new Avatar? Can't make it out on my gadget.
                              That's 'me' standing in front of the Reverend Al, saying 'Don't try this at home kids'. As is below.

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                                One question and one observation.

Regarding the ringing ears. Last concert some of my friends wore earplugs at the concert and I was stunned.

I've done it & could still hear the music just fine. I always take a pair in the pocket and then decide once a show starts. I got tired of getting in my car the next morning only to jump out of my skin when the stereo came on loud enough to wake God. DAMN! I swear it was at a normal volume on the drive home.

Plus I've had shows where my ears rang for many days after. And that sucked. It all depends really on where you are sitting whether you should pop em in or not. Can't hurt to take some though.
                                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...