X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Mary Foster, Associated Press Writer

Fri Oct 16, 4:50 am ET

NEW ORLEANS – A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She is white and he is black. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.

According to the clerk of court's office, application for a marriage license must be made three days before the ceremony because there is a 72-hour waiting period. The applicants are asked if they have previously been married. If so, they must show how the marriage ended, such as divorce.

Other than that, all they need is a birth certificate and Social Security card.

The license fee is $35, and the license must be signed by a Louisiana minister, justice of the peace or judge. The original is returned to the clerk's office.

"I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

The more things change...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chan_bkny
      Offspring of interracial couples are gorgeous. Look at Keanu Reeves, Quincy Jones's daughter Rashida Jones, Thandie Swinton to name a few.

P.S. Edward and Alex Van Halen are half white and half Asian. Eddie has a cute smile.
      Pre-Meth Mouth, of course
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Offspring of interracial couples are gorgeous. Look at Keanu Reeves, Quincy Jones's daughter Rashida Jones, Thandie Swinton to name a few.

P.S. Edward and Alex Van Halen are half white and half Asian. Eddie has a cute smile.

And let's not forget that guy who just won a Nobel Peace Prize. While living in the White House.

Yeah, obviously those "race mixing" kids never amount to nuthin'
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Maybe Katrina ran all the black people out of New Orleans and the KKK moved in.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
            And let's not forget that guy who just won a Nobel Peace Prize. While living in the White House.
            You think Obama is 'gorgeous'?

Oh my...

Comment

• standin
              Veteran
              • Apr 2009

He is right in some ways. I have met a lot of prejudiced black people and a lot of prejudiced white people. But the "not in my family" goes beyond black or white. Asians, Middle Eastern, Spanish and a plethra of other variants of humans and classifications of existence holds difficulties for couples that wish to marry and have children.
              Often times it can be troubling for the families that try to integrate lives from different classifications.

For example an outlaw biker family of many generations daughter marrying a a guy from criminal justice centric family.

Or even as simple as a country boy marrying a city girl.

Or 2 from different socioeconomic standings.

Fact is there are some hard core racist in the black community as there is some hard core racist in the white community. The well being of the children and family coherence of a couple where one is white and the other black, depends on the families.

Should someone be able to step in and enforce separatism, no, not at all. But it does not make separatism nonexistent just because it is not enforced or we wish it away.
              Last edited by standin; 10-16-2009, 01:22 PM.
              To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
              MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Of course. Last week there were two articles in The NY Times about our First Lady's roots. Mrs. Obama's great great great grandfather was a white slave owner. It was sad to read. Mrs. Obama didn't comment on the findings.
                People always get confused with that kind of thing though choosing one ancestor over another.

Mrs Obama had 16 great great great grandfathers which would make her genetically only 3% white slave owner.

In the same way that we are all Africans if you go back far enough, and that most of us are related to Ghengis Khan and Shakespeare one way or another.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

And why do racists always start sentences with "I'm not racist"...?

Comment

• standin
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2009

Of course. Last week there were two articles in The NY Times about our First Lady's roots. Mrs. Obama's great great great grandfather was a white slave owner. It was sad to read. Mrs. Obama didn't comment on the findings.

I venture solidly that in her past is also, black slave owners.
                    I do not know the history of her her grandfather you speak of, but he very well may had loved her grandmother. Should he had given her status as a free-woman. Yes, but I do not know if or if not he did. Moreover, if it would have worked in their favor if he had.
                    To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                    MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

I suggest that you venture solidly to the loony bin.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        You think Obama is 'gorgeous'?

Oh my...
                        No..... but Rashida Jones is alright. And let's not forget Halle Berry!
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• standin
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2009

Do you think slavery is a white thing?

Anti-Slavery

Last edited by standin; 10-16-2009, 01:35 PM.
                          MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There is a sophisticated racism nowadays that is not so blatant. You can be working with one side by side everyday and not detect it. This kind of racist has a superiority/inferiority belief about a group/groups, but will make exceptions for individuals of those groups if they are not acting like that group. If for example, a white guys dates a black girl; he thinks he's not racist because of that one relationship. But he could be dating her because she doesn't "act black."
                            Most people are racist to a degree, hopefully most of us are only a little racist these days.

The funny thing is that you can spot the bad racists a mile away because they always use that start to the sentence. It nearly always then has a 'but' afterward.

My favorite line someone said to me once was 'I was never ever racist against black people until I met one of them...'

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              No..... but Rashida Jones is alright.
                              Rashida Jones is hot, I think. I had no idea she is Quincy Jones' daughter.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

Working...