Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lesfunk
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

well as long as we're both having fun....
    http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

I believe in the article it said that he could choose not to sign the license for any reason?

Again, priests/pastors/clerfy voluntarily choose to become legally able to perform marriages (to sign the marriage certificate). If they have voluntarily chosen to become able to do this, then they shouldn't be able to refuse to do it for anyone that is legally eligible to get married?

I agree that a clergyman can refuse to do a religious ceremony, but what about refusing to legally marry them and sign the certificate? Is that allowed? Sounds like you are saying that it's not allowed, though I suspect it happens much more often than this scenario occurs.

Should we all be outraged over that too, then?

Again, it doesn't seem like this is anything other than a volunteer job. He doesn't get paid and from what I can tell it's not a full time gig. And on top of that, he appears to be allowed legally to refuse to do it, and did so.

So again what's the big deal? That he's a racist douche?
      I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
        I'm not sure if it's a full time job. I doubt it from what I understand of the reqs to be a justice of the peace, and the fact that he's not paid. Actually it doesn't sound much different than being a notary.

Which makes me wonder, can a notary refuse to notarize something on the basis of race/relgion/gender, etc.
        Sure they can. Then people can sue the their employers for granting office to blatant assholes...

You forgot to bold this BTW: "It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I believe in the article it said that he could choose not to sign the license for any reason?
          LOL You apparently forgot to "bold" that part.

Again, priests/pastors/clerfy voluntarily choose to become legally able to perform marriages (to sign the marriage certificate). If they have voluntarily chosen to become able to do this, then they shouldn't be able to refuse to do it for anyone that is legally eligible to get married?

I agree that a clergyman can refuse to do a religious ceremony, but what about refusing to legally marry them and sign the certificate? Is that allowed? Sounds like you are saying that it's not allowed, though I suspect it happens much more often than this scenario occurs.
          But people don't pay taxes to fucking clerics, nor are clerics compelled to marry those that are not members of their houses of worship. We're talking about the local gov't here, so please stop using this silly analogy, 'kay?

Because no one is talking about a clergyman. We're talking about elected officials/appointees...

Again, it doesn't seem like this is anything other than a volunteer job. He doesn't get paid and from what I can tell it's not a full time gig. And on top of that, he appears to be allowed legally to refuse to do it, and did so.

So again what's the big deal? That he's a racist douche?
          Okay. I'm a (hypothetically) volunteer fireman who refuses to rescue "niggars and spic's" and I've made this clear to my superiors. And a number of Hispanic kids die as a result of my clear and public refusal to run into a house to rescue them.

Can I, or my town, be sued for that?

Comment

• Dr. Love
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            LOL You apparently forgot to "bold" that part.
            Actually, I didn't forget. Reading comprehension required. Don't start making this personal just because you don't agree.

But people don't pay taxes to fucking clerics, nor are clerics compelled to marry those that are not members of their houses of worship. We're talking about the local gov't here, so please stop using this silly analogy, 'kay?
            It's a volunteer government service. It's no sillier than your Hitler analogies, and I'd said a lot more relevant.

Because no one is talking about a clergyman. We're talking about elected officials/appointees...
            Just wanted to know if, since you were arguing equality, would apply a different standard to different types of people that voluntarily seek out the same types of legal power. Seems like you do.

Okay. I'm a (hypothetically) volunteer fireman who refuses to rescue "niggars and spic's" and I've made this clear to my superiors. And a number of Hispanic kids die as a result of my clear and public refusal to run into a house to rescue them.

Can I, or my town, be sued for that?
            Doubt it. It is a volunteer service, after all. I'm sure a lot of people would get all wound up and rant on a david lee roth message board about it though.

So are you upset that you think he's a douchebag, or you think he did something illegal? Or is it because you're in an interracial relationship and think you should rage against the man because someone somewhere might tell you that they don't want to marry you?

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Sure they can. Then people can sue the their employers for granting office to blatant assholes...

You forgot to bold this BTW: "It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."
              Missed this post.

So the guy should have resigned/should resign.

Comment

• standin
                Veteran
                • Apr 2009

You do understand the difference between religious law and Federal law.
                And being appointed by the judicial system and being appointed by a religious system?

The JoP is a government appointee, if or if not elected.
                He is bound by judicial law and an representative of the government, paid or not.
                I am not sure how captains got into the conducting the marriage vows, but they too would not be an government employee (exception being a government ship and then employed by the USA government at the very least the captain of the government ship would be a sub-contractor). I assume that the USA government has ships besides military.
                To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by chan_bkny
                  ...our governor david patterson...

Aside from all the other issues in this thread...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

What? Are you a New Yorker?
                    A Buffalo, New Yorker!

Comment

• Dr. Love
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by standin
                      You do understand the difference between religious law and Federal law.
                      And being appointed by the judicial system and being appointed by a religious system?

The JoP is a government appointee, if or if not elected.
                      He is bound by judicial law and an representative of the government, paid or not.
                      I am not sure how captains got into the conducting the marriage vows, but they too would not be an government employee (exception being a government ship and then employed by the USA government at the very least the captain of the government ship would be a sub-contractor). I assume that the USA government has ships besides military.
                      I believe (not 100% certain) that in Texas (I suspect many or most other states as well) you have to be licensed by the state to perform legal marriages. Whether you are a religious clergyman or not.

My question was simply if a person licensed by the state should be required to perform a legal marriage (not a religious one) as a condition of being licensed by the state.

Comment

• standin
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2009

One exception comes to mind - someone is a fetishist. I've heard white guys say they like various ethnic women because of their hair, eyes, booty, etc. It's funny to hear them say these things, yet bizarre and creepy. One guy said to me that he had always been attracted to Asian women. You look at his girlfriend - she's white.

You know what makes my head reel was one time on a talk show, the topic was about interracial relationship, and there on the panel was a white guy and a black woman couple. When asked why he was dating outside his race, he said he "wanted the experience." Excuse me????!!!

Yes, I've heard it. In fact, our governor David Patterson said it in jest when he was talking about following in President Obama's footsteps in becoming President. The first time that I heard the "once you go black" expression was probably from a kid in my class (I grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood). It's just a humorous boastful saying. A non-black person who says this is boasting about how s/he is in such a satisfying relationship with a black person that s/he will never date another person who is not black. If it's a black person saying this, then it means s/he gives satisfaction and has "returning customers." It's like my saying that after having drank Pu Erh tea, Dragon Well, Dragon Pearl Jasmine tea, I ain't going back to a Lipton teabag.
                        I actually heard it on the white side too. The white side, it meant that the person would not be welcomed back to the white race. And when I heard it from black people it always sounded foreboding. Like oh shit what's going to happen, invasion of the body snatchers? And usually not from a very socially diverse family. And color does not guarantee sexual ability. I can attest to that. If I judged the whole black race one experience. Well, needless to say, I did not experience one side of black culture. Not all of black people run dog fighting mills, mistreat women, have no family skills, have low self esteems, have criminal tendencies and have an inability to preform ( I assume that part), many white guys fit that description too (some parts of that is assumed too).

Oh, I admit if I could find someone that looked like me AND be compatible. I would be with me. I am a separatist that way. But Me's are very far and few between. And inevitably the cringe factor comes up of "Wow, we look so close alike we could be related". That conversation's pretty much a deal breaker. Just eww.
                        To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                        MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• standin
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2009

I believe (not 100% certain) that in Texas (I suspect many or most other states as well) you have to be licensed by the state to perform legal marriages. Whether you are a religious clergyman or not.

My question was simply if a person licensed by the state should be required to perform a legal marriage (not a religious one) as a condition of being licensed by the state.
                          A marriage is not binding until it is submitted to court. The ceremony and certificate is just a temporary marriage until it is registered.
                          MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                            The more things change...
                            Speaking of racial issues:

Hotel owner tells Hispanic workers to change names - Yahoo! News
                            sigpic

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Hey, I've always had this question that no one seemed to know the answer. How come there are no jokes (at least I haven't heard any) about the heterosexual WASP male?
                              But there are......

Q: Why did God create WASPs?
                              A: Someone has to buy retail!

Q: What do WASPs think Zimbabwe Rhodesia is?
                              A: A wide receiver for the Houston Oilers.

Q: How can you tell if a WASP is sexually excited?
                              A: The stiff upper lip.

Q: What's an American WASP's idea of open-mindedness?
                              A: Dating a Canadian.

Q: What's a WASP's idea of social security?
                              A: An ancestor on the Mayflower.

Q: Why did the WASP cross the street?
                              A: To get to the middle of the road.

Q: What happens when four WASPs find themselves in the same room?
                              A: A dinner party.

Q: What do WASPs think of the Mideast situation?
                              A: Well, Newport is all right, but EVERYbody goes to the Cape.

Q: How does a WASP propose marriage?
                              A: "How would you like to be buried with my people?"

Q: What's a WASP's idea of affirmative action?
                              A: Hiring South American jockeys.

Q: What do WASPs say after sex?
                              A: "Thank you very much. I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

Q. What do you call a WASP with a four-inch prick?
                              A. Well hung.

Q. How can you tell when a WASP is dead?
                              A. He lets go of his wallet.

Q. What do you call a WASP virgin?
                              A. You can't. Her number's unlisted.

Q. What's a WASP's favourite song?
                              A. "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas."

Q. What does a professional WASP call her boss?
                              A. Daddy

Q: How many WASPS does it take to change a lightbulb?
                              A: Three. Two to mix the martinis and one to call the electrician.

Q: What is a WASP menage a trois?
                              A: Two headaches and one hard-on.

Q: Why do WASPs play golf?
                              A: So they can dress like pimps.

Q. What is the definition of a WASP?
                              A. Someone who gets out of the shower to take a leak.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Coyote
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

Stuff White People Like

Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

Working...