Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

With a win over Atlanta last night, the Pistons have clinched the Central division in the East.

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Lions | Lenon signed
      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:12:07 -0800

The Detroit Lions have announced the team has signed free agent LB Paris Lenon (Packers) to a three-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Lions | Woods re-signed
      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:11:17 -0800

The Detroit Lions have announced the team has re-signed LB LeVar Woods to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Lions | DeVries re-signed
      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:11:09 -0800

The Detroit Lions have announced the team has re-signed DE Jared DeVries to a five-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Lions | Quarterback position up for grabs
      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:13:46 -0800

Chrissie Zavicar, of DetroitLions.com, reports the Detroit Lions will continue to keep four quarterbacks on their roster and each will be given a shot at the starting position. Detroit has signed three free agent quarterbacks this offseason, Josh McCown (Cardinals), Shaun King (Cardinals) and Jon Kitna (Bengals), in addition to second-year QB Dan Orlovsky, who was with the team in 2005.

Win your fantasy football league with The Huddle's award-winning fantasy football cheat sheets, rankings, sleepers and insider tools.

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

WHAT WENT WRONG?

As QB school progressed, Joey's uncertainty grew

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

What really led to the split between the Lions and Joey Harrington? What really happened at quarterback school earlier this month?

Some have said Harrington sabotaged his appearance at QB school, engineering his way out of town with uncooperative behavior. Some have said he was just unenthusiastic as he realized it wasn't going to work in Detroit.

The truth lies in the middle. Harrington came to QB school with good intentions, but he also had mixed emotions.

As the week went on, things fell apart. The last day went badly. In the end, Harrington didn't feel he could win with the Lions, and the Lions didn't feel they could win with him.

This account is based on interviews with several people close to the situation. All spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the information and because Harrington has not spoken for himself yet. He has been on vacation in Southeast Asia and unavailable for comment.

Harrington flew from his Oregon home to the Detroit area Sunday, March 5.

He was upbeat and optimistic because of the support the Lions had given him. President Matt Millen said Feb. 21 the Lions were approaching the off-season with him as their starter, and coach Rod Marinelli agreed. Marinelli and offensive coordinator Mike Martz spoke positively about his potential afterward.

Harrington intended to give it his best shot with an open mind.

Still, he felt some uncertainty. The Lions had a new coaching staff, but they still had most of the same players -- a number of whom had not supported him.

When Harrington drove into Lions headquarters that Monday, he experienced a lot of negative feelings because of the environment. His first meeting with Martz went well, but his first meeting with Marinelli did not. Marinelli told Harrington he had to be all in or all out; Harrington couldn't make that commitment because of his concerns about team chemistry. After a full day's work, Harrington went home and studied his playbook. He told people Martz was jovial and nice and knew a lot about offense.

Harrington put in another full day's work Tuesday. He hurt his back. He went home and studied his playbook again. He told people Marinelli was a down-to-earth, tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy. He still seemed upbeat and thought he would be back later in the month for off-season conditioning.

But Wednesday, the last day of QB school, was different. Harrington didn't break down plays well on the board. He didn't appear to pay attention. He didn't take notes. His mind seemed elsewhere, and something happened with Martz -- what exactly is unclear.

Harrington did not endear himself to the coaches. Marinelli had talked about wanting players with passion. Harrington wasn't showing any. Whatever his intent, he was showing he didn't want to be there.

Afterward, Millen talked to Harrington often, and Harrington talked to the coaches somewhat. But things couldn't be patched up. Harrington didn't want to be a quitter, but he told the Lions he could win in the NFL, just not in Detroit. Martz truly thought Harrington was talented, but the coaches didn't want a quarterback who wasn't confident he could lead their team.

Though Harrington was willing to return for off-season conditioning, Marinelli told him not to.

Harrington flew back to Oregon the next day, then left for Bali and Thailand. He was expected to return to Oregon this week, on Thursday.

Millen has a close relationship with Harrington, and he wants to talk to him as soon as possible. Now that the Lions have signed free agents Jon Kitna and Josh McCown, now that Marinelli has said publicly the Lions are moving on without Harrington, Millen wants to put Harrington in a position to succeed somewhere and get something in return for the Lions.

But Harrington has veto power on any trade. He would have to renegotiate his contract to satisfy another team. He is due a $4-million roster bonus June 15 and a salary of $4.45 million this year and next. If the Lions can't trade him before June 15, they will cut him to avoid paying the bonus, making him an unrestricted free agent.

The Freep Story

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Forty-four years after failing to sign Hadl, Lions are still searching for QB

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST
          In 1962, just five years removed from their last NFL championship, the Lions used their first-round draft pick on a quarterback.

His name was John Hadl. He went on to play in six Pro Bowls. But he never played a down for the Lions.

"They wanted me to be a running back," Hadl recalled Thursday. "They told me they were going to make me a Paul Hornung. Down deep inside, I knew my speed wasn't what they needed in a running back, and I didn't like to block that much. It wasn't a hard decision."

Hadl signed with the San Diego Chargers of the American Football League instead. The Lions had offered more money.

"If they had said 'quarterback,' I would have probably been in Detroit," Hadl said.

They have been saying "Quarterback?" ever since. Forty-four years after failing to sign Hadl, the Lions are still searching for the right guy. The latest Right Guy candidates are Jon Kitna, who was the wrong guy in Seattle and Cincinnati, and Josh McCown, who was the wrong guy in Arizona.

Since 1957, the Lions have sent only one quarterback to the Pro Bowl: Greg Landry after the 1971 season. The Lions were 7-6-1 that year. Hope you saved your ticket stubs.

Why? Why do Lions quarterbacks always fail? It isn't talent. Joey Harrington can make all the throws, and it's not like every Pro Bowler or Super Bowl-winning quarterback is an athletic deity.

"For goodness sakes, some of these guys that have won, I would not have been embarrassed to compete against," said Gary Danielson, who has been more successful as a broadcaster than he was as a Lions quarterback in 1976-84. "Why didn't it work in Detroit? Guys have won that have a lesser package than have played in Detroit. It's not just measurables."

If Harrington lacked anything as a Lion, it was swagger. He never had command of the locker room.

He becomes the highest-profile flop, but far from the only one. This is the most frustrating question for Detroit sports fans: Why haven't the Lions stumbled upon a really good quarterback?

Luck is a major factor. The New England Patriots' first six picks of the 2000 draft are no longer with the team. The seventh was Tom Brady.

In the last 30 years, the San Francisco 49ers have landed two Hall of Famers (Joe Montana and Steve Young) and another three-time Pro Bowler (Jeff Garcia) without spending a single first-round pick on any of them.

The Lions have failed in almost every way. They brought in older guys who had success elsewhere (Jeff Garcia, Dave Krieg), young guys with potential (Scott Mitchell) and, of course, draft picks. Since 1960, the Lions have drafted 26 quarterbacks, from A-listers (first-round picks Harrington, Andre Ware, Chuck Long and Landry) to Z (Joe Zuger, 18th-rounder in 1962).

In 1962 they used three picks on quarterbacks -- Hadl, Zuger and second-rounder Eddie Wilson. None played a down for the Lions. In 1965, they drafted three more quarterbacks -- Tom Myers, Karl Sweetan, George Wilson. Three more washouts.

Eventually, they moved on to the washouts you have come to know and love.

The Lions' last franchise quarterback was Bobby Layne, and that is telling. Layne (like Montana or Brady) was an unquestioned leader. He gave the team confidence. That quality has separated great quarterbacks from mediocre ones for decades.

"Josh McCown, I don't care how good he throws the ball," Danielson said. "It doesn't mean anything. It's, 'How does this guy perform in the clutch?' "

Danielson disputes the idea that it is tougher to play quarterback in Detroit than in other cities. It's tough everywhere. That just underscores the need for a quarterback with poise.

"He has to have an air about him that everyone knows he is confident," Hadl said. "Just being a leader. Some guys do that naturally, and some guys don't."

If they do it naturally, we can't look away. Great passers attract everybody's attention.

"Teams that have good quarterbacks, I like to watch," Hadl said. "I don't get to see Detroit a lot."

The Freep I Say!

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Lions Defensive Front Remains Strong

Scout.com - http://www.scout.com

March 25, 2006 at 12:24pm ET

The re-signing of DeVries and Edwards, combined w/ Big Daddy's possible return could flourish in 06.

ALLEN PARK -- With defensive ends Kalimba Edwards and Jared DeVries once again under contract, it appears the Lions will keep their strongest and most consistent unit intact for the 2006 season.

Though neither Edwards nor DeVries started a single game last season, they are two of the components that made the Lions' defensive line a force to be reckoned with during most of the past season.

Both got a chance to test the free agency waters briefly, but both re-signed quickly with the Lions.

Edwards, 26, led the Lions with seven quarterback sacks and, though he has battled injury problems and has failed to perform at the level the team anticipated when he was taken in the second round of the 2002 draft, he has the speed that lights up the eyes of new coach Rod Marinelli and defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

Although he has started only three games in seven seasons, DeVries is content with his role in the Lions' defensive line rotation.

"Obviously, my role in years past has been primarily as a backup at different positions - right, left end, sometimes inside," DeVries said. "I've played some on special teams - on kickoff return, field goal block, sometimes in punt situations or punt returns.

"Every team needs role players and, obviously, we all want to be starters, but when coaches decide whatever it may be, you accept that role and do it to the best of your ability. Hopefully, it helps the team."

DeVries agreed to terms of a five-year contract, on the heels of what was probably his best season with three quarterback sacks, a blocked field goal attempt (Dec. 11 vs. Green Bay) and two fumble recoveries.

DeVries, who will be 30 in June, is a seven-year veteran who might be described best as a grinder. As part of that defensive line rotation, he has filled virtually every role on the front four with the persistence and intensity coaches love.

Though he has never had more than three sacks in a season, his position coaches and teammates appreciate him for the fact he carries out assignments to perfection and seldom blows a play.

In addition to the return of both Edwards and DeVries, the possible return of 12-year pro Dan Wilkinson (who has considered retirement) will hand Detroit all of last year's starters. That includes Pro Bowl tackle Shaun Rogers pairing with Wilkinson inside and Cory Redding and James Hall at the ends, with a rotation that includes DeVries, Edwards and defensive tackles Shaun Cody and Marcus Bell .

After playing five years under offensive-minded coaches (Marty Mornhinweg and Steve Mariucci), the Lions' defenders are enthused about playing under Marinelli, a former defensive line coach at Tampa Bay.

"As soon as he got the job, I called down to a good friend of mine - (fullback) Mike Alstott down in Tampa Bay - and he had nothing but high praise," DeVries said. "Obviously, he's an offensive guy, but he had nothing but praise for coach."

NOTES, QUOTES

The Lions have started their off-season conditioning program and by the time it's over later this spring, they will probably have a pretty good idea of what to expect from new coach Rod Marinelli.

Since being hired two months ago, Marinelli has talked about toughness, discipline and getting back to basics. And those are some of the things he says he is stressing in the off-season program.

Asked about his message to the players during their first week of work, Marinelli said: "Habits, the habits I want. Create the proper habits, the work habits I'm working for, the leadership and the consistency, the mental toughness I want.

"I want to be a team that can overachieve. That's a big message but it starts one step at a time, one day in the weight room, whatever we're doing in a meeting, how to meet properly, how to listen, how to communicate properly. Just the very basic things, like how to get in a good stance.

"I'm not going to overlook any phase of it. It's all about details, this game is. And it's not who has the talent but whose talent plays good consistently for 16 weeks."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I love men who love football. They want to be around, they want to compete, they want to create the habits that I want." - Coach Rod Marinelli on the type of players he wants for the Lions.

Comment

• Switch84
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

DEEETROIT BASKETBAALLLLLLLL!!!

Originally posted by ALinChainz
              With a win over Atlanta last night, the Pistons have clinched the Central division in the East.

I had to sift through all of that Lions shit to get to a post about a Motor City team that's a proven champion, baby! I was lovin' it when we spanked the Pacers the other night and we'll toast the Nets tonight, baby! Our Wings are looking to bring home Lord Stanley's Cup this June, and I can't wait! Two championships for the Big Motor in one year? Can we stand it?

HELL YEAH!!!!

Go, PISTONS!!! Go, RED WINGS!!!

FYI: DA BEARS are gonna RULE the NFC North! Yeah, BABY!!

Go, CHICAGO BEARS!!!

LMMFBFAOBT
              "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
              Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Gotta love'em all Switch ... even the Lions and Tigers ...

That Bears stuff though ... you'll always get a pass.

But I don't have to like it!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

The big cherry on top would be if the Mayor Kwame whatever the fuck his name is, gets sent to federal prison.

Comment

• Switch84
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                    Gotta love'em all Switch ... even the Lions and Tigers ...

That Bears stuff though ... you'll always get a pass.

But I don't have to like it!

LMAOBT! I can't help myself, Al Baby! I'm "UrlsGrrl" (Ooh, that Sexy Motherfucker!) I've already picked my spot on Woodward Ave.for the Pistons & Red Wings victory parades and I agree with Biteyoass about Kwame. How in the fuck did he get re-elected?

Another prize would be to send New Orleans' mayor Ray nagin to the pokie, too. What a moron he is, damn it!

DA BEARS! DA BEARS! DA BEARS!
                    "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                    Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Lions sign safety Idrees Bashir

March 29, 2006

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Lions signed unrestricted free agent safety Idrees Bashir to a one-year contract on Wednesday.

Bashir began his NFL career with the Indianapolis Colts and started 51 games between 2001 and '04. He joined the Carolina Panthers last year and played 11 games as a backup, recording only two tackles before suffering a leg injury.

During his five-year career, Bashir has totaled 233 tackles and five interceptions in 62 games.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Dumars Headed to the Hall

April 1, 2006

BY KRISTA LATHAM

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

On Monday, Joe Dumars, the Pistons president and former player, can finally call himself a Hall of Famer.

A team source confirmed Friday night that Dumars' name is included in the 2006 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame class, which will be formally announced Monday in Indianapolis during Final Four festivities.

After being passed over in his first year of eligibility last season, the committee couldn't overlook Dumars again. And everyone at the Palace on Friday night, from coach Flip Saunders to the players in the locker room, had the same reaction.

"It's long overdue," point guard Chauncey Billups said.

Dumars played 14 seasons for the Pistons -- more than any other player in franchise history. He retired in 1999 as the team's second all-time leading scorer with 16,401 points. He was a six-time NBA All-Star, an All-NBA defensive first teamer, and an NBA Finals MVP.

But forget statistics. Dumars will be remembered most for two things -- his role as a member of the Bad Boy teams that won the 1989 and 1990 NBA titles and his gentlemanly and workman-like demeanor on the floor.

It's the second part of that equation that stands out most.

"What he meant to his game, not just to this city but to the entire league, with his sportsmanship and his class and his character, it doesn't come around often," Billups said. "Just the things that he did outside of this court, I think it's long overdue. He's definitely deserving."

In 1996, Dumars won the inaugural NBA sportsmanship award, and his name now is inscribed on the trophy. So even though he's off the court and in the front office, his legacy as a class act lives on.

"The character that we have as a team is directly reflected because of him," Saunders said. "The reason he was a Hall of Fame player was because of that character."

Since retiring in 1999, Dumars has served as the Pistons president, and his tenure has been largely successful. The Pistons won the 2004 NBA title under his watch, after he constructed the blockbuster trade of the season -- getting Rasheed Wallace from the Portland Trailblazers via the Atlanta Hawks without giving up any major pieces.

Since that move, the Pistons returned to the NBA Finals last season and have had the best record all of this season, despite the off-season coaching change from Larry Brown to Saunders.

But none of that mattered to the selection committee. Dumars made the Hall for his accomplishments on the floor. Should he be deemed worthy of inclusion as a manager, he'd be enshrined again.

Either way, the Pistons were happy to see it happen.

"It's well deserved," coach Flip Saunders said. "And you know what, he's not just a Hall of Fame player, he's a Hall of Fame person, which maybe is more important. The reason I'm here is because of him."

The FREEP

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Harrington finally dealt...to the Dolphins...

Dolphins acquire QB Harrington from Lions for draft pick
                          May 12, 2006
                          CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DETROIT -- The Miami Dolphins acquired quarterback Joey Harrington from Detroit for an undisclosed conditional draft pick, giving the Dolphins a fallback position if new starter Daunte Culpepper isn't ready for the season's first snap.

"We're pleased to have Joey Harrington join the Dolphins," head coach Nick Saban said in a statement. "We will work with him to get him acclimated to our system as quickly as possible."

The Dolphins had been searching for a backup to Culpepper and targeted Harrington, the former No. 3 overall pick who didn't live up to expectations in four years as the Lions' starter. Harrington had expressed his desire to play with the Dolphins.

Harrington's agent David Dunn he expects his client to do well with the Dolphins.

"I am thrilled for Joey as he turns the page to the next chapter of his career, "Dunn said in a statement. "Players like Steve Young, Jake Plummer and Trent Green have thrived when moving to a new location and team, and I expect Joey to do the same thing in Miami. I know that he can't wait to get started with coach Garrett and coach Mularkey."

The Lions also released a statement Friday announcing the move.

Culpepper, acquired from Minnesota this offseason, is recovering from a serious knee injury and may not be ready for the Dolphins' first regular-season game - at Pittsburgh on Sept. 7.

The other two quarterbacks on the Miami roster, Brock Berlin and Cleo Lemon, are young and untested.

Harrington went 18-37 as a starter with the Lions. He threw 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions, and his career quarterback rating is a modest 68.1.

Detroit had been expected to cut ties with Harrington before June 15, when he was due a $4 million bonus. He'll likely be replaced by Jon Kitna or Josh McCown, both former starters for other teams who agreed to terms with Detroit this offseason.

AP NEWS
                          The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
                          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Kitna or McCown...hmmmm....

seems like a couple of thrilling choices...
                            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Well the Tigers are on top, who the hell would have thought about that. But who the hell knows if it'll last.

Comment

• Switch84
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

The Tigers have nowhere to go but up! They've been on the bottom for so long. Go, TIGERS!! My Wings have some retooling to do and we're faced with some crucial free agency players. The Pistons are on the right track, despite their temporary lapse against Cleveland.

I don't give a fuck about the Lions...I'm a Chicago Bears fan and we're gonna RULE the NFC North again!

Buwhahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!

I'm a homer except when it comes to the Lions.
                                Blackflag on DLR

Comment

Working...