Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

This is best the tigers have looked since the Trammel days...

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Yeah, pretty solid team from 1984 to like '88.

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

BLESS YOU BOYS

'77-'87

DAMN good time to be a TIGERS fan

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

BEN OR BUST: Wallace likely to test market

June 25, 2006

BY KRISTA JAHNKE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

By week's end, the game of tug-of-war, the negotiations and rumors, and the courtship of unrestricted free agent Ben Wallace will begin.

On Saturday, Wallace, a four-time defensive player of the year who has helped carry the Pistons to the NBA Finals twice and to a championship once, will become the most coveted player in a mostly mediocre free-agent market.

And while for much of the past season it seemed a lock for Wallace, a blue-collar icon in Detroit, to remain a Piston, nothing, it seems, is certain anymore.

It seems Wallace plans to explore his options around the league.

Wallace recently had this to say in the Orlando Sentinel about his impending free agency: "Nothing in this league is automatic.

"I was never supposed to leave Washington. I was supposed to retire in Orlando. Strange things happen. It's not automatic."

In the same interview, he said, "it's not always just about the money. It's about having an opportunity to do what you're comfortable doing."

Wallace's new, high-powered agent, Arn Tellum, did not return a call for comment, and the Pistons can't talk about Wallace before the free-agency period begins Saturday.

One of his biggest bargaining chips might be offensive involvement.

Wallace doesn't want to be a 20-point scorer, but he has stated many times that he doesn't appreciate being completely shut out of an offense. That's been a point of contention in Detroit. Pistons coach Flip Saunders rarely ran plays with Wallace as the main option.

But money is no secondhand matter, either, not when this is the biggest and most lucrative contract of his career.

Wallace earned $7.35 million last season, the last of a six-year, $30-million deal he signed in 2000.

This time around, he will command at least $10 million a year for four seasons.

A maximum contract would pay him upward of $14 million a year for five or six seasons (only the Pistons can offer Wallace a six-year deal).

There is an assumption that Pistons owner Bill Davidson would never offer a post player more than four years.

But those who work closely with him say that isn't so. They classify Davidson's thinking differently.

They say the billionaire owner certainly has principles he prefers to live by, but that he'll toss them out the window in a heartbeat if people he trusts tell him there's a better way to build a winning team.

That also means -- if team president Joe Dumars can convince Davidson that it's worth it -- the Pistons could wind up going over the salary cap and paying a luxury tax, which the team has long avoided.

The Pistons won't know the tax threshold (or the salary cap, for that matter) when they begin negotiations with Wallace on Saturday, and Alan Ostfield, the team's chief operating officer and assistant general manager, prefers not to make educated guesses.

"I think some teams try to project based on truly complicated formulas," Ostfield said, "but I firmly believe that that's the kind of thing you spend 19 hours trying to project it and then you're wrong. It's not even worth it."

Last season, the cap was $49.5 million, with the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax kicking it at $61.7 million.

Those numbers will likely rise.

The Pistons have already committed $49.07 million to their nine players under contract for next season, meaning the Pistons will go over the cap and approach the tax threshold if they give Wallace anything more than $10 million.

Being so close to the cap means the Pistons should either retain Wallace or lose him only through a sign-and-trade.

That's because if he signs with a team with cap space -- only Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte and Toronto have enough room to woo him without a sign-and-trade -- then the Pistons will be left with nothing in return and no cap space with which to work.

Still, it's questionable how much interest there will be for Wallace around the league.

With such limited offensive abilities and an especially bad reputation for free-throw shooting, his game is a unique one that wouldn't work well in every system.

And Wallace did get some negative publicity this season for failing to re-enter a game in Orlando and speaking out against his coach in the playoffs.

Regardless, people close to the team say rumors that they've grown sick of Wallace's act are baseless.

As the biggest name on the market, Wallace will be the instigator in free-agent action, not only in Detroit but around the league as well.

Once his status is settled, the Pistons have two exceptions to spend. The mid-level exception is worth $5 million and can go to one player in whole or can be split among multiple players. They also hold a $1-million biannual exception.

Both those exceptions can be used despite a team's salary cap status, but they do contribute to total salary in terms of luxury tax.

Who's out there for the taking?

The biggest names are guards Jason Terry, Al Harrington, Speedy Claxton, Bonzi Wells, Peja Stojakovic (he can opt out), Sam Cassell and Mike James (also will opt out), forwards Nene (restricted), Reggie Evans, Drew Gooden and Toni Kukoc, and centers Alonzo Mourning and Nazr Mohammed.

Pistons guards Lindsey Hunter and Tony Delk will both be unrestricted free agents.

Hunter is questioning whether he will retire, while the Pistons expect Delk to take the player opt-out on his contract.

It's not a superstar class, but as Wallace said, nothing is automatic.

Once the free-agency period begins and general managers start chatting, trades come down, players move, and you can't predict much of anything at all.

"While the draft is the most unpredictable thing because you're talking about such unknown quantities," Pistons vice president John Hammond said, "free agency is generally much more predictable. But once the movement starts happening and players signing and sign-and-trade scenarios pop up, who knows? I'd hate to say this is a poor class.

"On paper, there have been better and stronger, but I don't want to take anything away from this class, especially with a guy like Ben Wallace at the front of it."

The Freep

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Lidstrom, Shanny, Captain hold off-season keys

June 25, 2006

BY HELENE ST. JAMES

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- What the Red Wings do next weekend depends a great deal on what they get done this coming week.

Free agency in the NHL begins Saturday, but the Wings aren't likely to be big players. Though the salary cap is expected to increase from last season's $39 million to $44 million, the Wings already have about $22.5 million tied up in 11 players. They're working on re-signing elite defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom (probably for close to $8 million a season), Brendan Shanahan (at least $2.5 million) and Chris Osgood (he might sign for around $1 million). So add those three, at approximately $11.5 million, and that brings the Wings to $34 million.

The Wings' capital might be further reduced if captain Steve Yzerman decides to return for another season. Yzerman, 41, has mulled retirement since the Wings lost in the first round to Edmonton on May 1, and while he has been given all summer to decide, general manager Ken Holland might find out the answer this week.

"I hope to meet with Steve either Wednesday or Thursday," Holland said Saturday. "Maybe he will let me know. I don't know what he's thinking."

If Yzerman is thinking comeback, his salary will be around $1 million.

In short, it's going to be a busy week leading up a possibly not-very-busy weekend.

"A lot depends on what goes on this week with Shanahan and Lidstrom," Holland said. "I need to know what's going on with those negotiations, because they're obviously a big part of what goes on in Detroit.

"If you look at our team, we've got six defensemen signed -- or five, but we're hoping to get Nick signed, so that would be six. We need to get another defenseman, but he's not going to be a high-end guy. Up front, it obviously depends on Shanahan. If we get Shanahan re-signed, we're looking maybe for a fourth-line player. If we don't get Brendan, we're looking obviously to get a top-six forward. And we need a goalie."

Holland is close to signing Osgood. He plans to spend Monday in Vernon, British Columbia, where both he and Osgood have off-season homes. "I've made an offer, and I'm going to talk to Chris, so we'll see."

Negotiations could be tricky if Osgood's side tries to push the case that he should get a good deal more than the $900,000 he made last season in case he becomes next season's starter, because his contract can't be incentive-laden.

The Wings will look around for another veteran, though, because Holland isn't comfortable with the scenario of Osgood as the sole NHL-experienced goaltender. The organization has made it clear prospect Jimmy Howard needs another year in the AHL, and Holland said Saturday he doesn't think Swedish prospect Stefan Liv is ready to be an NHL backup.

"Now, that doesn't mean (Liv) doesn't play great in the American league and gets called up," Holland said. "But my hope is we come to training camp with two NHL goalies. If Joey MacDonald, if Jimmy Howard, if Liv -- if one of those guys really shows that they're (ready), then I can trade somebody -- that would be a nice position to be in. But we're not a developmental team. We want to develop players in the minors, and when they come to Detroit, it's because they can come in and play."

It's much more likely the Wings will acquire a second NHL goalie via trade or free agency. For example, Holland has long liked Dwayne Roloson, and will strongly consider him if the Oilers don't re-sign him.

"There are some guys that are unrestricted that we're interested in," Holland said.

As for the potential that the Wings would acquire Roberto Luongo, who was traded Friday to Vancouver, Holland said he talked to Panthers general manager Mike Keenan the last few months, but never made an offer for Luongo.

On the restricted free-agent front, Holland has extended qualifying offers to Johan Franzen, Jason Williams and Dan Cleary; all three are expected to return.

The Wings have to consider how signings impact them in relation to the salary cap this summer -- and next, for that matter, when both Niklas Kronwall and Pavel Datsyuk will need to be re-signed.

The Freep

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

I was looking thru some old stuf today...looking for CLASSIC DAVE & VANHALEN material..

And I came across my 1974 TIGERS YEARBOOK...

3 guesses as to who their Minor League skipper was in 1974?

Ain't that some funny shit...................

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Yeah, and seems like everytime the job came up again post-Sparky, he already had a gig.

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

I think he needed some time off too...

He's been in baseball forever....

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

ahhh it's a good time to be a Tigers fan again!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Here is a site for all those who want there Detroit sports fix on the radio outside of Michigan, without having to pay for it!

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Matt White

BLESS YOU BOYS

'77-'87

DAMN good time to be a TIGERS fan
                        Looks like Trammell was taking the 'roids back then.

Ha!

Comment

• Switch84
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                          Here is a site for all those who want there Detroit sports fix on the radio outside of Michigan, without having to pay for it!

http://www.wxyt.com/

SWEEEEEEEET!!! Thanks, BYA Baby!!
                          "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                          Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• Switch84
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                            ahhh it's a good time to be a Tigers fan again!

It definitely took a long time to turn it around, but I knew they would! Here in the ATL, the sitings of the olde English "D" are becoming more frequent. I know they're just bandwagonning, and the Braves have nothing to worry about (as far as their fanbase). These folks are diehard about their MLB if nothing else.
                            "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                            Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Belfour soon?

Goalie, 41, coming off back surgery, passes physical; several teams are courting Shanahan.

DETROIT -- The Red Wings got the results of free-agent goalie Ed Belfour's physical Thursday.

And they liked what they saw.

General manager Ken Holland said the tests showed Belfour's rehabilitation from back surgery in April has been successful.

While Belfour could be signed in the next couple of days, forward Brendan Shanahan, who had 40 goals last season, is no closer to deciding his future with the Wings. Shanahan's agent, Rick Curran, said six teams are showing interest in his client.

Belfour, 41, visited Detroit on Wednesday. He wants a one-year contract with a low base salary but plenty of incentives. It would give him a chance to redeem himself after an injury-hampered season with the Maple Leafs.

"There's nothing there that indicates he can't play," Holland said. "Eddie is certainly on the road to recovery. There's nothing there that will keep him from playing. Now we have to decide where we want to go with this. Obviously there's some risk involved.

"I talked with our training staff and doctors today (Thursday), and I'll talk with key people I trust this weekend, for their opinions, talk with (owner) Mr. (Mike) Ilitch of course, and we'll decide where we want to go with this."

Holland likes Belfour's competitiveness and ability to handle pressure. Belfour appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals twice with the Stars, winning in 1999.

"Pressure won't faze him," Holland said. "He's been in a lot of pressure situations. I get the feeling he likes it."

Holland said there is nothing new on the Shanahan front.

Curran, who wouldn't elaborate on negotiations, said Shanahan's future probably won't be decided until after the weekend. The Wings reportedly have offered a one-year, $4 million contract, along with a two-year deal at slightly less than $4 million a season.

The Bruins are considering offering Shanahan a two-year contract worth $9.8 million. Montreal and Los Angeles -- teams in need of size and goal-scoring ability -- also are considering giving him more than $4 million a season.

ESPN analyst Barry Melrose said the Wings need Shanahan.

"They're not a very big and physical team as it is, and if they lose Shanny, that's a tough loss," Melrose said. "The playoffs exposed some weaknesses with this team. They're not big, physical. Teams can push them around. They need this guy."

The Detroit News

Comment

• Switch84
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

:confused: Damn, should we get excited about this, Wingnuts? If we're picking up 41 yr.olds, Stevie should've stayed suited up, lol!
                                Blackflag on DLR

Comment

Working...