Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Portland Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen said Friday he has invested more in an NBA team than any other owner but the Blazers still need a public partnership to survive financially.

The Canuck's majority owner has contacted NBA head office and has been promised a serious look for potential moves within the NBA for troubled franchises.

Portland's move to Vancouver would not affect divisions.

Stern knows he fucked up in Vancouver before.. Olympic exposure in 2010 makes Vancouver an attractive proposition, as well as committed local ownership.

Stern seems to like the stability of a hockey/basketball being owned under one roof. The Canucks have sold out for 7-8 years in a row now.

Dollar is waaaay up from where it was when Grizzlies were in trouble (about 88 cents now).

I am here to tell you some team is coming here before 2010.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen said Friday he has invested more in an NBA team than any other owner, but the Blazers still need a public partnership to survive financially.

In a posting on the team's Web site, the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft Corp. said, "Portland has enjoyed the benefits of the Trail Blazers through what is probably the most favorable franchise relationship with a city that has ever existed in the NBA."

But Allen repeated what he has said through spokesmen: "Unfortunately the economic model for that type of deal is broken, and now everyone needs to pitch in and try and fix it. If that effort fails, the team is in jeopardy, as we have invested too much to this point to continue."

A spokeswoman for Gov. Ted Kulongoski said Friday night the governor's position has not changed -- no bailout is planned with public money.

"The governor recognizes the value of the organization but his priorities are on education and health care right now," Anna Richter-Taylor said.

Portland city officials have scheduled another meeting with team officials for Wednesday but had no immediate comment on the Web posting by Allen, said John Doussard, Mayor Tom Potter's spokesman.

Allen said team management is ultimately his responsibility -- including the decision to give up ownership of the Rose Garden arena after the team's sister company, Oregon Arena Corp., declared bankruptcy under the weight of construction debt.

Allen said the arena's new ownership group has gotten back $195 million on an original investment of $155 million, plus a stadium worth more than $60 million and millions of dollars annually for suites, club seats, concessions and parking.

In a comment about his rank as one of the wealthiest men in the world, Allen said he could not afford to endure losses. He has already projected the team will lose $100 million in the next three years without some outside financial support.

"While I have deep pockets, it's sickening to know the model is broken, hemorrhaging money," Allen said. "It's hard. As a businessman, I'm out of pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars each and every game. That's brutal."

Allen said he would rather see the money go to community charities, education or health and science research.

He noted he has made bad investments in the past -- it has been widely reported he has lost about $12 billion in less than a decade -- but he said the team is an investment that benefits the state and regional economy.

He said other professional sports teams are losing money in smaller markets, but publicly financed arenas are helping teams survive in the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball.
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Brett
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
      Lakers beat San Antonio (although SA had just played Phoenix the night before)

Who saw Kobe posterize entire San Antonio team last night, especially dunking on Duncan mercilessly.

Damned impressive.
      Duncan's a pussy what else is new. Shit Kwame Brown owned him, what does that say? Duncan is the most coddled star the league has ever seen.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

No way is there another team in Vancouver in the forseeable future...

even though I agree with a lot of what you said....

but no way...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Let me put it to you this way...no way Portland has a team there in two years unless they get an NHL franchise.

There is some clause that team is in Portland until 2025 or something, but if Allen wants out, team will move. No way that clause can be enforced. These things have a way of being "worked out"

I say a franchise in Vancouver is not as far-fetched as you may think.

There are alot of troubled NBA cities. A team would rake in the money here, given that the building has another stellar tenant. We always filled the place despite horrible decisions by Stu Jackson, ironically a guy who will have some say in where re-located franchises end up.
          Last edited by Romeo Delight; 03-12-2006, 08:54 PM.
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

That would be a tremendous comeback...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

The thing is...I think you are going to have some trouble getting past Las Vegas (which is starving for a team, and Oklahoma City seems to be making a decent push right now for a team...

Vegas is still a stretch IMO...

but Stern wants a team there, or there sure as hell wouldn't be an all-star game there...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I think Stern wants to show everyone that it wasn't his mistake in selecting the city of Vancouver, rather other things such as: the draft conditions (he has admitted some fault there, although blames other owners ultimately for forcing his hand), lack of local corporate support (a crock), dollar, bad luck, and lack of a local owner.

He wants to make good on his original choice and if there is a politically acceptable choice to move, we will get franchise.
                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I can see it now....

Steve Nash, TWO-time MVP makes his triumphant return home to lead the Grizzlies back into the NBA.

Yao is next to come here in Stern's vision to expand game. (We have a large Asian community)

I dare say Vancouver has just a tad more potential than Oklahoma City, given Stern's vision outside N. America.
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Stern's vision is focused soley on Vegas bro...

and he put the Hornets in Oklahoma City for a reason...

proximity for sure...

but Okie has long been hunting for a team...

and you have to admit...with the success in Memphis...and current Okie success...they would be at the top of the list...

You DO have many, many good point about returning to Vancouver, but, it's a hard sell because of the past...

I know that Stern sees a big picture here, but...I don't see Vancouver getting another franchise right now...

although, it would/will be a fantastic story if it happens...

makes no sense that Vancouver shouldnt/couldn't have another team...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I know it would work, because I saw all the games...People were nuts for it.

Real problem was, we were managed by an idiot. Name me one franchise that doesn't struggle at the gate after 5 losing seasons.

Owner was not local, and he sold his interest in NBA team. We were doomed at that point.

Now that we have local owner of Canucks and building, dollar is strong and will remain so for at least 5 years, Olympics...

I miss the NBA terribly

Heisley's slogan in the last, fateful year...I'm serious:

"Here...Now" Not a joke!!!!!

He put up a few billboards a week before season was to start, for appearances....
                      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Again...I don't disagree with you at all...DF...I actually agree with you...

but you know what they say...

image is everything...and Stern is about image...

Now...you COULD make a HUGE splash by moving a team there for the Olympics...

but that wouldn't happen now...that would happen then...

that's the kind of polish that Vancouver needs right now.

I think a team would be fantastic in Vancouver...great city...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

You are right about Vegas...who wouldn't want a team there. Need a complete gambling policy first, obviously for league.

Here is why Stern owes Vancouver a franchise. He knows it.

Due to draft restrictions insisted upon by other NBA owners, the Vancouver Grizzles were prevented from drafting their other-wise would be hall-of-famers.

Instead they draft never-could-have beens like Antonio Daniels or the dominant Brant Reeves...

OK:

1995: Drafted ahead of Brant Reeves: Garnett, Rasheed Wallace, Jerry Stackhouse, Antonio Mc Dyess.

Give us any one of those players and Grizzlies are still in Vancouver

1996: Drafted ahead of Abdur-Rahim (an ok pick): Allen Iverson

1997: Drafted ahead of Antonio Daniels: TIm fucking Duncan and Chauncey Billups.

Tell me Vancouver doesn't deserve aN NBA franchise after such ridiculous restrictions.

Look at those players! Give us just one, and everything changes.

You are right though, 2010 is looking good.
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen on Sunday attended his first game at the Rose Garden since announcing that the team was hemorrhaging money and needs a public partnership to remain financially viable.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen on Sunday attended his first game at the Rose Garden since announcing that the team was hemorrhaging money and needs a public partnership to remain financially viable.

"Everything is completely up in the air," he said about the team's future.

Allen spoke briefly to reporters outside Portland's locker room during halftime against the Los Angeles Clippers.

The billionaire co-founder of Microsoft has estimated that the Trail Blazers could lose $100 million over the next three years.

Part of the problem, according to Allen, is that the team no longer sees revenue from the Rose Garden.

The arena was financed by Allen without public money. But the team's sister company, Oregon Arena Corp., declared bankruptcy in 2004 and Allen chose to give up ownership rather than continue to pay interest on construction debt.

As a result, team revenue has declined sharply, along with ticket sales, down by a third from five years ago.

Some have criticized Allen's plea -- first made at the NBA trade deadline -- considering he ranks among the world's richest men.

But Allen insisted repeatedly that the "financial model is broken" when it comes to the team, asking, "You want to let it just sit there and not fix it?"

Allen's financial advisers have been meeting with city and state officials, who have said they have no money to help the team but are willing to work to find a solution.

When asked if he saw himself as owner of the team next season, Allen replied, "Uncertain."

On Sunday, he unassumingly walked on to the court about a minute before the game and spoke to a pair of team executives before taking his seat under the basket closest to the Blazers' bench.

A spokesman for Allen's privately held investment company, Vulcan Capital, estimated Allen has spent $600 million on the team and the arena since 1988 but has yet to see a profit.

I know for a fact that a vancouver group including Vancouver Canuck ownership has presented the NBA with a formal proposal to re-locate team there.

Anything is possible.

The Memphis Grizzlies are reducing ticket prices across the board next year...cheapest seats???

5 fucking dollars!!!!
                            BWAAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
                            Fuck you Heisley!!!

There are another 3 NBA franchises in desperate situations, but if your ticket prices are five, that is five dollars....things are indeed grim.

Looks like vancouver would be a top 12 franchise, revenue wise at this point without a doubt!
                            Last edited by Romeo Delight; 03-27-2006, 11:26 PM.
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• seenbad
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2004

You keep your grubby mitts off my Blazers fucker!!
                              sheepa lotta peepa dahba looka fo uh moopy

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by seenbad
                                You keep your grubby mitts off my Blazers fucker!!

I would prefer that Portland got an NHL franchise so I could get down to Portland more often.

Without one, the Blazers are gone

sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...