The last new album you got a hard on for?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The last new album you got a hard on for?

When was the last time a new release was so good that it blew you away?

An album that you maybe heard one song on the radio then bought it and it was all good?

The reason I`m asking is because I dug out Halford`s "Resurrection" yesterday and it all came flooding back.

In 2000 real Metal was all but dead and we were getting nu-metal shit like Limp Bizket and Marilyn Manson supposedly being the future of HM.

God, it was depressing.

Worse still was seeing pictures of a recently "outed" Rob Halford in rubber catsuits, jackets with furry collars and, worst of all, a dressing gown and pink slippers (I kid you not) and proclaiming "Metal is dead".

Then I heard the song "Resurrection" on a sampler in Classic Rock magazine.

It was so good I had to buy the CD, not for a minute thinking that it would be all Metal and all good.

But, by fuck it was.

And as a bonus the cover had Rob decked out in the classic pose, leather clad with shades sitting on a motorbike.

That album restored my faith in Metal.
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Whew...tough one...after racking my brain, I think the last new album I got SUPER excited about and rushed out to get on day one was Racer X's reunion album "Technical Difficulties"...I was HUGE into Racer X back in the day and the comeback album did NOT disappoint (although I was bummed a little that Bruce wasn't able to play, I was hoping for a Second Heat lineup album).

I really think that was it. Other things have more or less got me interested, or not, but it was honestly T.D. that really had me nuts...
    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Oct 2004

There's actually been a few recently. Old bands have been making good albums, and there's been 1 or 2 good bands come through.

The last one to really get me going?

I'll have to think aboot it.

Possibly "Deadwing" by Porcupine Tree. You could call them a sort of darker Rush (at least on that album).
      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Re: The last new album you got a hard on for?

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
        When was the last time a new release was so good that it blew you away?

An album that you maybe heard one song on the radio then bought it and it was all good?
        Even though I might get ripped for this...

The Darkness' "Permission To Land" and the follow-up "One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back".
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• SA ME WHO
          Roadie
          • Nov 2004

My answer's not fair, seeing as I get geeked up real easily over any kind of good music.

But the one that most recently got me excited was the debut album of NY's Fixer - Before The Sun.

I enjoyed their live set and for $10, there was no way I could pass on the album. It did not disappoint at all. (As a matter of fact, maybe since I was at the back of the bar and couldn't actually see the set and was talking, I enjoyed the album MORE.) But, it was money very well spent as the album (or it's songs on the iPod) still spins constantly.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Green Day's "American Idiot". Rock opera for the 21st century.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

Daughtry

Comment

• SparkieD
                Veteran
                • Sep 2006

Re: Re: The last new album you got a hard on for?

Originally posted by Coyote

The Darkness' "Permission To Land" and the follow-up "One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back".
                I want to congratulate you on your gigantic set of cast iron balls!

Seriously, I love both of those discs. I always loved to hear a band that actually sounds like they are having a good time.
                Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                Originally posted by rustoffa
                Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: The last new album you got a hard on for?

Originally posted by SparkieD
                  I want to congratulate you on your gigantic set of cast iron balls!
                  Why, thank you.
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• SilvioDante
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2004

Re: Re: The last new album you got a hard on for?

Originally posted by Coyote

I still listen to "Permission to Land"...

I thought The Darkness was going to re-energize rock and roll....

Guess not.
                    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: The last new album you got a hard on for?

Originally posted by SilvioDante
                      Guess not.
                      Methinks the hype got to 'em. (Or the blow that went up Justin's nose...)

Comment

• rustoffa
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

In all honesty? Probably L7's "Hungry For Stink" record. Nobody liked it....I'm not sure if I do anymore. When it came out, it was a breath of fresh air in a world full of Rage Against The Machine.....lemme tell you, lyrics like "I'm savin' my piss in a jar" just blew those communist motherfuckers' crap about whatever away. Another favorite bleep is some dipshit critic here going, "The new L7 record is offensive...to everyone." Next thing I know, I'm watching Donita Sparks throw buckets of vomit on "everyone." Probably the heaviest display of music I'd ever witnessed/heard in my life.

*file under another L7 schpeel"

Comment

• Loons The Great

I'm diggin' the Wolfmother record..."Woman"...reminds me of,"Bottom's Up," jus' a lil' bit...that boogie riff...

Vocals remind me of Mr. Jack White...an' that's a good thing...

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                            Commando
                            • Apr 2006

Can I get an Amen?
                            <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIzYrAlq-hY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIzYrAlq-hY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                            Well, can I?
                            [

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                              Commando
                              • Apr 2006

I think maybe Roadstar's Grand Hotel disc.
                              Just some good "old school" R&R from a somewhat new band.
                              Kicks it from start to finish.
                              [

Comment

Working...