Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

They didn't spend long in the studio for this. Is that a good or a bad sign?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie
      Well, they may not have had to...it's been, what, almost four years since A Matter of Life and Death came out, that's a lot of time to write and rehearse stuff. Maybe they didn't have to spend much time in the studio because they already had a straight line on what they wanted?

Hell, some of my all time favorite albums were recorded in or around two weeks...I just honestly hope there's a bit more gallop in it and less songs about, uh, war...
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Iron Maiden is a weird band for me to see live (jinxed maybe). I absolutely loved them up through Powerslave. In the early 80's they would have been my very first concert. (before I was allowed to see concerts). Friends were all staying the night at one guys house & his mom was driving us. My mom found my ticket & put an end to that.

Flash forward to their next tour and stop in San Diego. I was allowed to go, bought my ticket, got expelled from school the week prior to the show. Again, ticket confiscated.

Flash forward again to 1988 and yet a third tour & tour date in San Diego. Concert was on a Friday night. Some fuck head had been harassing my girlfriend for weeks in school, and it came to a boil when he wrote some nasty shit in her annual, even egging me on to start some shit. This was on the same Friday as the Maiden show. I had to explain to her that I couldn't go kick his ass until Monday, because I couldn't miss Iron Maiden a third consecutive time.

Went to the show. Awesome.

Fought the guy on Monday. Awesome.

He, his brother, and a friend found me over the summer at a local fair. Not so awesome.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• SparkieD
          Veteran
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by binnie
          Maiden are nearly flawless live, so I'm betting they don't NEED much studio time.
          Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
          Originally posted by rustoffa
          Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• Ralphy Lee Fox
            Roadie
            • Mar 2010

Well Maiden are slowly becoming one of those bands like AC/DC or Motorhead where you can't really say when the first song ends and the second one starts while listening to the album.
            "You keep on raining and I'll still be the parade"
            David Lee Roth

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by SparkieD
              Maiden are nearly flawless live, so I'm betting they don't NEED much studio time.
              Let's hope so. I just hope they've not just knocked out a 'Maiden By Numbers' album.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                Veteran
                • Jun 2005

I think it is a good sign with the short amount of time in which they recorded. I may be in the minority here but i haven't really been thrilled with an Iron Maiden album since 7th Son. The last 3 studio records since they reunited i thought were alright but they just didn't have that "something" that kept me listening to the record for very long. I have them in my collection but i don't find myself going back for more.
                RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

I just want to hear some FAST songs out of Maiden again. Everything's very moderately paced anymore with extremely long, drawn out intros...I'd shit myself if they opened up the album with something like Invaders, NOT a traditional crowd-appeasing singalong sort of deal like they've done since BNW...
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Ralphy Lee Fox
                    Roadie
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                    I may be in the minority here but i haven't really been thrilled with an Iron Maiden album since 7th Son. The last 3 studio records since they reunited i thought were alright but they just didn't have that "something" that kept me listening to the record for very long. I have them in my collection but i don't find myself going back for more.
                    Same here. And I think you're in the majority of IM fans actually.
                    The last albums are mostly average, not to mention they keep on copying themselves since like 'No Prayer'.
                    "You keep on raining and I'll still be the parade"
                    David Lee Roth

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                      I just want to hear some FAST songs out of Maiden again. Everything's very moderately paced anymore with extremely long, drawn out intros...I'd shit myself if they opened up the album with something like Invaders, NOT a traditional crowd-appeasing singalong sort of deal like they've done since BNW...
                      I here you on the over-use of war as a theme, and the over-long intros, but I thought AMOLAD was the best Maiden record since 'Seventh Son.' Admittedly that's not saying much, but it really staggered me - a true epic. I don't that they can go any further in the 'progressive' direction, so I'd like them to strip it all back a bit - less is more, so to speak.

Comment

• atomicpunk5151
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Aug 2004

I got to agree with Binnie.

I thought AMOLD was good. Best cd in a loooong time from Maiden.

I can understand some of the complaints about over use of some themes and the intros, but AMOLD had some strong songs and a pretty good tour where they played the whole cd.

I still listen to AMOLD more then anything else from the 90s or 00s Maiden catalog.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Closest they are coming to Gnashville is Cleveland or Chicago. Chicago looks like it would be the one to see, as it falls on a Sunday, and I would only have to take one vacation day.

That said, I am not sure I can afford to go. My personal economy is still uncertain for this year, and I would spend a minimum of 300 bucks for travel, ticket, and hotel.

So I may have to miss it, though I have been swearing for months that I would go.

FUCK THEIR GODDAMNABLE POLICY OF NOT PLAYING THE SOUTHEAST!

Comment

• Anonymous
                            Banned
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                            Closest they are coming to Gnashville is Cleveland or Chicago. Chicago looks like it would be the one to see, as it falls on a Sunday, and I would only have to take one vacation day.

That said, I am not sure I can afford to go. My personal economy is still uncertain for this year, and I would spend a minimum of 300 bucks for travel, ticket, and hotel.

So I may have to miss it, though I have been swearing for months that I would go.

How many miles?

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• WACF
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Bands...or rather their agents/promoters do strange things.

Metallica always plays here.

They skipped over us on the last tour.

A guaranted sell out at over 14,000....figure that one out...a real headscrater...especially since they played Edmonton and Calgary(I got into that one) then Winnipeg a few months later...we are right in the middle.

Maiden plays here in June...the first time since the early '80's...can't wait.
                              I had to drive for the Somewhere back in time tour...and it was worth it.

I hear what you mean on coin to travel...I spent a grand taking the wife and kids to Edmonton just so they could shop and water slide while I went to Slayer, Megadeth and Machine Head last June...worth every cent though.

You gotta do what you gotta do...

Comment

• ppg960
                                Sniper
                                • Dec 2005

What is up with that? Seems odd?
                                They usually stop in Winnipeg. I've seen them 2x. First was with Twisted Sister opening for them on the Powerslave Tour in 84.

Comment

Working...