X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kissfan1976
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by lesfunk
    I just sat down after a busy day and it's starting to sink in.
    Bueno bob's post speaks for me almost exactly.
    I'm not happy today.
    RJD is my favorite Rock and Roll singer (yes more than DLR) . I haven't felt this way since Frank Zappa passed (also from FUCKING CANCER) and James Brown.
    Normally I wouldn't be this affected by the passing of an entertainer or anyone I don't know but this has fucked me up.
    Dio and his music, especially with Rainbow and Sabbath, has been so much a part of my life I feel empty knowing that someone who has given me so much joy and inspiration is gone before his time.
    The Trolls in this thread should be ashamed of themselves
    I feel the same way.
    This is the first "Rock Star" death that I have actually felt deeply sad about.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
      In BLACKMORE's defense...it's got to be difficult to sum up ones feelings for somebody and have it reduced to a soundbite...
      Exactly...remember what happened to Paul McCartney when he was questioned outside of his home when Lennon was assassinated. The soundbite "It's a drag, innit?" was taken by some in the press to reveal McCartney was somehow unmoved by the event.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

Judas Priest offered a message of sympathy for Dio's widow, Wendy: "We are filled with great sadness at the terrible news about our friend Ronnie James Dio. Our condolences and love go to Wendy [Dio, Ronnie's wife/manager] and Ronnie's family. ... Ronnie was a wonderful man and will be sorely missed."

Billy Corgan took to Twitter: "R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. I only got to meet him once and I can honestly say he was the nicest person I have ever met in music. ... Ronnie was a true gentleman, and obviously one of the best rock singers there will ever be. What a sad loss."

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

At their show Sunday night at Lazerfest near Des Moines, Iowa, Alice Cooper and his band inserted a bit of Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" into their final song, "Under My Wheel," dedicating it to Dio. Bassist Chuck Garric played with Dio prior to joining Cooper's band, and both Cooper and Garric taped a special segment for the syndicated "Nights With Alice Cooper" radio program talking about their late friend.

"We used to have a lot of fun with Dio on the road," Cooper recalled. "(Drummer) Eric Singer could not help from going 'Holy Diver!' as loud as he could to the point where the manager finally says, 'Could you stop doing that? It's starting to annoy Ronnie.' And of course you don't say that to Eric Singer, because that just means he's going to double the efforts."

Garric added that Dio was "such a genuinely nice guy and welcomed me with open arms. From the moment I walked into the rehearsal rooms to audition, I felt at home...It was one of the greatest moments of my life, and it had changed my life. I owe him everything."

Over at Metallica.com, drummer Lars Ulrich posted a moving "A Letter to Ronnie," crediting Dio as "one of the main reasons I made it into the stage to begin with," saying that he first saw Dio as a member of the band Elf in 1975, opening for Deep Purple. "I was completely blown away by the power in your voice, your presence on stage, your confidence..." He also recalled going to the Plaza Hotel in Copenhagen when Dio came through with Blackmore's Rainbow and being impressed that Dio was "so kind and caring...I was on top of the world, inspired and ready for anything." Ulrich concluded that, "Ronnie, your voice impacted and empowered me, your music inspired and influenced me, and your kindness touched and moved me. Thank you."

Chickenfoot's Michael Anthony told Billboard.com that he used to cover "Man on the Silver Mountain with Van Halen and sharing the stage with Dio at some European festivals. "He was a great guy," Anthony said. "I remember when we opened for them, all of us were back at the hotel having some drinks; it was his birthday, and I remember us all just hanging out, and he was just a great guy, definitely a driving force in hard rock music."

Slayer guitarist Kerry King, who listened to "Man on the Silver Mountain" by Blackmore's Rainbow as a teenager, said that being able to meet Dio was one of his treasured memories. "Few people have had the ability to carry a song like Dio, literally demanding your attention as he effortlessly recreated live the amazing things he did on record," King said. "It's odd how things get taken from you quickly...I just saw him a month ago. I know I was lucky to have known Ronnie. One of the nicest guys in the business without a doubt. He will be hugely missed."

Anthrax's Joe Belladonna said that Dio "was a big inspiration, influence and dear friend of mine. He was a true gentleman and a kindhearted individual. He always would go out of his way to make you feel welcome and important. Without a doubt, he was one of the best, top notch and a class act. I will truly miss him." His bandmate, Charlie Benante, saluted Dio as "true metal and the creator of the metal hand Sign...He was Divine."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

OK, someone fill me in with that stuff between RJD and Vivian Campbell.... Dio really slammed him.....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              OK, someone fill me in with that stuff between RJD and Vivian Campbell.... Dio really slammed him.....
              Long story short? Vivian talked vicious shit about him between, oh, 1986 up til...what, last week? Constantly...do a search for any Vivian interview ever since the mid 80s where they bring him up and get ready for the tirade...
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

And until that vid, Ronnie held his peace, not saying a bad thing about him at all. After all the cheap shots Viv Fuckhead took at him over the years, I would say Ronnie is entitled to his opinion.
                Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

It is still tough, reading through this thread, reading the articles on the internet, the posts by everyone great and small.

I just don't know.........our lives have all changed for the worse.....

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

THIS is the one I've been waiting for...

Ozzy Osbourne expresses condolences on Dio's death

NEW YORK — Ozzy Osbourne is expressing his sadness over the death of Ronnie James Dio.
                    Dio died Sunday of stomach cancer at the age of 67. He had replaced Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1980.
                    On Monday, Osbourne paid respects to the man who would reshape the legendary heavy metal band.
                    Said Osbourne in a statement: "I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. Metal has truly lost one of its greatest voices. My heart goes out to his family and to his many fans."
                    He added: "Love and respect."

Comment

• Hellraiser!!
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Dec 2005

What a sad day!! I was really shocked when I read the news yesterday!! Even though I wasn't too optimistic when they canceled the summer tour....

Dio's one of my favorites musicians of all time!! I'm sure we all gonna miss him so much.

But I feel very proud to know and enjoy this great music since I was a little child and even more proud to watch his music live here in Brasil!!

Albums like Holy Diver, Heaven and Hell, Rising, Sacred Heart had a big impact on my life and his music will live foreve in our record players, cause he's got the midnight madness, he's got a soul, cause he's the king of rock n roll!! \m/

My condolences goes to Wendy Dio and all his family and friends and a couple of beers for Mr Walker, Wooda and Lesfunk, who are big fans of Dio!!

Now Playing: Invisible

R.I.P. Mr Ronnie James Dio
                      www.diamonddavidleeroth.com

Comment

• Antman
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

Always said he was one of the best shows I ever saw-back in 86. A class act, a great guy and an incredible singer. Very sad. I now wish I had seen Heaven and Hell. RIP RJD.
                        When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• lesfunk
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hellraiser!!
                          What a sad day!! I was really shocked when I read the news yesterday!! Even though I wasn't too optimistic when they canceled the summer tour....

Dio's one of my favorites musicians of all time!! I'm sure we all gonna miss him so much.

But I feel very proud to know and enjoy this great music since I was a little child and even more proud to watch his music live here in Brasil!!

Albums like Holy Diver, Heaven and Hell, Rising, Sacred Heart had a big impact on my life and his music will live foreve in our record players, cause he's got the midnight madness, he's got a soul, cause he's the king of rock n roll!! \m/

My condolences goes to Wendy Dio and all his family and friends and a couple of beers for Mr Walker, Wooda and Lesfunk, who are big fans of Dio!!

Now Playing: Invisible

R.I.P. Mr Ronnie James Dio
                          Thank You Hellraiser! Good to hear from you
                          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Antman
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2004

I always prefferred Craig Goldy over Campbell.
                            When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Sorry to burst your fragile little ego, bucky...
                              Gosh, how that video mysteriously vanished after I posted it - ?

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                                Ya' wanna know what, dickhead?.....I've been reading your bullshit posts for 12 fucking years now..
                                Know what? If you discipline your choice of posts to foment over, you'll avoid yourself the trouble of another 12.

Comment

Working...