X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Mr Walker
    I remember an argument I had with my wife a few years ago over (I do love the fact that she isn't a 'Metal' fan). Anyway... we were 'debating' who was more of an icon... RJD or Bon Jovi... (ok, have you stopped laughing yet?)

I forget what her bullet points were, but I basically laid out the fact that hundreds of years from now after someone shorts out all the power grids and the world goes back to zero and some mutated race of survivor beings start to evolve over time, the day will come when a large group of them will assemble and a few of them will start banging some objects together & howling and making a racket... once the others get worked into a frenzy, you know that one of them is going to throw up the devil horns as he bangs his head... "Dio wins and so do I".

Picture the exact same scenario but in the ruins of a Videl Sasson Salon though and 20 minutes later it's Living on a Prayer...

Comment

• Anonymous
      Banned
      • May 2004

Originally posted by SparkieD
      If the news bits are just going to be rehashes of other news bits, then they should shut the fuck up. He accomplished enough in his lifetime that these journalists could take the effort to write more than they have been. I'm also sick of reading every other musician's tributes telling us how his music will "live on." Be original or shut up for fuck's sake.

Forgive me. I'm very fucking pissed off. Ronnie's gone and that cunt Bret Michaels is still making headlines.
      About the "journalists", you're absolutely right... as for the musicians's tributes, well, I do understand how pissed off you are. Like others have posted here, I too have never been bothered or upset by the death of a celebrity, but in this case... I am. I'm really upset.

No, I didn't personally know the guy. But again, like many others, I first listened to Dio early in my teens. The first Metal album that I remember listening to was Maiden's Fear of the Dark & I never looked back. But the first album that really blew me away was Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer, not much later. And while much of that effect was caused by Iommi, Dio was the one that really did it.

Dio was one of those people that deserved to live forever. Like brother Marksman pointed out, he had been singing for far longer than most of us had been alive. And he never lost an ounce of his talent over the years.

Add the fact that all these people who were rightly in awe at being in his presence report to us that they were instantly made to feel like old friends, and you realize that for all that Dio achieved, it never went to his head. He could've easily have become a smug bastard - I would - but he never did.

A wonderful person in addition to a great talent? What are the odds?

Well, what a rant. Funny how I didn't find much to say in my previous posts, but now I did & sidetracked the reason why I quoted you in the first place.

Let's go back to where I lost track of what I was going to say:

"...as for the musicians's tributes, well, I do understand how pissed off you are." There we go. But what else is there to say, really? Dio's death was a shock for everybody & I can even understand Blackmore not saying much about it.

He touched us all, in one way or another... touched Wendy a lot more than he did everyone else, that's for sure. And no matter how hard you try, you never seem to find the right words to express your grief. So, you just blurb out that he'll "live on in his music" & hope that others will understand what you're truly feeling. Which they will - I think everybody felt the same the moment they first read that Dio was gone.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
        I honestly didn't know Dio recorded this song. Dream On is one of those legendary songs you shouldn't mess with, but holy shit! Dude made an awesome version of it. Even though I don't like Yngwie, he did kinda lay off on the important parts of the song & let Dio stand out.

Apologies if this has already been posted in this thread.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BaycOK66FAc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BaycOK66FAc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
        I didn't know about him recording this, either...

But damn... it was so fitting when I listened to it just now. I think that listening to it just sunk it in - he's gone. For good. And pardon me for the cheesiness of the following sentence, but I just can't help it, it's the truth, cheesy or not:

Listening to it really felt like hearing a goodbye.

I guess because it was the first time I listened to it - probably wouldn't have given me the same effect if I had listened to it previously.

Nevertheless, here's a hearty Thank You for posting it.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• ShadowOfTheWave
          Full On Cocktard
          • Apr 2010

I really can't believe that some cunt on here has the nerve to start criticizing someone for their faith. Key word 'faith'. In other words, an substantiated belief which you hold no authority over. Sometimes religious people can be unfucking believably arrogant. 'faggot priest': very Christian.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Heh, I just realized I have seen him six times, not five. Va Beach VH Fan reminded me that I also saw Dio on that tour in 2002 when they played in Gnashville. I was front row! And a friend of mine was at the same show Va Beach was at.

I have a good bootleg of the show the very next day in Atlanta. It was an incredible show from an incredible vocalist.
            Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by ShadowOfTheWave
              I really can't believe that some cunt on here has the nerve to start criticizing someone for their faith. Key word 'faith'. In other words, an substantiated belief which you hold no authority over. Sometimes religious people can be unfucking believably arrogant. 'faggot priest': very Christian.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jero
                <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3FXxpSesZs&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3FXxpSesZs&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
                This is claimed to be a un released sound board!

And I think it might be!

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Picture the exact same scenario but in the ruins of a Videl Sasson Salon though and 20 minutes later it's Living on a Prayer...
                  Since the power grids are gonna be out... those fags will not survive without their blow-dryers.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

I need to dig out that bootleg of the Sabbath Riot show when Dio tells the crowd to fuck off after someone hit Geez with a bottle...

On October 9th, 1980 at Mecca Arena in Milwaukee the Black & Blue show produced a riot. The riot started when Black Sabbath ended their show in the middle when someone threw a beer bottle in Geezer Butler's face. Eight policemen, several fans and Geezer Butler were injured and 160 people were arrested in the riot, which required police forces from all over the city before it was under control. The Mecca Arena was destroyed rather badly.

Comment

• lesfunk
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I dunno if anyone posted this already, but here's what Doogie White (my second favorite Rainbow vocalist) had to say:
                      16th May 2010

"A very great man lost his life today.

Ronnie James Dio was one of, if not the greatest singer I ever heard. I remember trembling when I heard Rainbow Rising such was the passion and energy not only from Ritchie´s guitar but from that voice that shone above all else.

He was also a jolly decent chap who had time for all fans come rain, wind or shine.

I first met Ronnie 10 years or so ago and he said " Ah! so ( maybe he had been in Japan) you are Doogie, I know who you are but never knew what you looked like. Come in son and have a glass of wine, is red okay?" This was back stage at the Wembley Arena. He dedicated Man On The Silver Mountain to me that night saying "to my new friend Doogie, you may have sung it, but I sang it first".

We met a few times after that and discussed the loss of his thumb in the bizzare gardening accident. We agreed gardening was the new RnR. I had a tremendous affection for the man. He was kind, considerate and wonderful fun.

My thoughts at this time go out to Wendy and to the extended Dio family. You do know how much he was and is loved, for his music, his singing, his humanity.

Catch the Rainbow.. Ronnie..Catch the Rainbow."

Site content © Doogie White 2009.
                      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Mr Walker
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Here's the tribute I was waiting for...

Guitarist Mick Box of legendary progressive rock veterans URIAH HEEP has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"This is a very sad day today, as we have lost one of the true great rock singers of our time, Ronnie James Dio. He was a wonderful man, and whenever our paths crossed on the road we always shared a laugh or two, and I can honestly say he was a true gentleman of the highest order, and a shining example to us all. He will now be singing in rock 'n' roll heaven, which is our loss and their gain. He will be sadly missed as a singer, writer and a friend, and he really did have a set of golden pipes that really set the standards for others to follow. There will surely not be another one like him, and his music will live on forever."

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Here's the tribute I was waiting for...

Guitarist Mick Box of legendary progressive rock veterans URIAH HEEP has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"This is a very sad day today, as we have lost one of the true great rock singers of our time, Ronnie James Dio. He was a wonderful man, and whenever our paths crossed on the road we always shared a laugh or two, and I can honestly say he was a true gentleman of the highest order, and a shining example to us all. He will now be singing in rock 'n' roll heaven, which is our loss and their gain. He will be sadly missed as a singer, writer and a friend, and he really did have a set of golden pipes that really set the standards for others to follow. There will surely not be another one like him, and his music will live on forever."
                          I really wish the "Golden Pipes" phrase wasn't used so much. Every time I read that I think of that damn e trade commercial. Which I was going to post but I won't.

Comment

• lesfunk
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-c_0-ufRtk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-c_0-ufRtk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
                            http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

Ahh....finally. In the local Gnashville newspaper they published an obit, on page 3A, which is actually pretty respectable in this cuntry music town. I just took this pic with my digicam:

Comment

• kissfan1976
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jan 2010

I remember an argument I had with my wife a few years ago over (I do love the fact that she isn't a 'Metal' fan). Anyway... we were 'debating' who was more of an icon... RJD or Bon Jovi... (ok, have you stopped laughing yet?)

I forget what her bullet points were, but I basically laid out the fact that hundreds of years from now after someone shorts out all the power grids and the world goes back to zero and some mutated race of survivor beings start to evolve over time, the day will come when a large group of them will assemble and a few of them will start banging some objects together & howling and making a racket... once the others get worked into a frenzy, you know that one of them is going to throw up the devil horns as he bangs his head... "Dio wins and so do I". Might have been only the second or third argument I won in our 20+ years together.
                                Dude that was damn funny and so true!

Comment

Working...