Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Reading the greatest book about 'the greatest rock'n'roll band' ....

Stanley Booth, The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones. I heartily recommend it to anyone who loves rock'n'roll and how it is so much more than the music:

A good accompaniment to that is a novel about the Stones, titled Sway by Zachary Lazar:

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Erik Davis's book about Led Zeppelin's 4th album - another great book:

See - http://www.techgnosis.com/zep/index.html
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Does he mention the pedophilia?

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

With the Zep book? No - not directly, as I recall. It's more about the occult side of things.

That whole 70s underage groupie scene has been covered in some other books about Hollywood in the 70s. Barney Hoskyns book, Waiting for the Sun: The Story of the LA Music Scene (that book was published with different subtitles in various versions). The hub of the groupie scene was Rodney Bingenheimer's 'English Disco' (as his club was called). It's been said that those same girls that Page and Bonham (if memory serves correctly) were surrounding themselves with, were involved with all sorts of others. Mainly visiting English bands - Bowie, Marc Bolan.
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              Does he mention the pedophilia?
              I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits - was this stuff any different from the 'roasting' performed by some premiership footballers?

There is a distinction between underage sex and 'paedophilia', however (at least as I understand it). A paedophile has sex with pre-pubescent minors. Not saying one is more/less immoral than the other, merely noting the differnece.
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• envy_me
                Swedish Love Pump
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by binnie
                I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits - was this stuff any different from the 'roasting' performed by some premiership footballers?

There is a distinction between underage sex and 'paedophilia', however (at least as I understand it). A paedophile has sex with pre-pubescent minors. Not saying one is more/less immoral than the other, merely noting the differnece.
                It's called hebephilia. Man we're exploring all sexual perversions in this thread
                The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I guess so and it's not something I really want to dwell on.

I find the Page thing very uncomfortable though as it was he was no spring chicken at the time(30?), it was ongoing and they obviously knew it was wrong or they wouldn't have been smuggling her secretly into hotels. It's odd to me in a way the difference in attitudes based on not a lot of difference between him and say Gary Glitter.

That said I notice that Page seems to have been left out of the 2012 Olympic Ceremonies...

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    It's odd to me in a way the difference in attitudes based on not a lot of difference between him and say Gary Glitter.
                    In Page's defense, at least he didn't go on a world-wide tour of several countries in order to pursue his perversions, only to be arrested and deported from each one. On a related note, I would love to get a copy of this: The Execution of Gary Glitter - WIKI

That said I notice that Page seems to have been left out of the 2012 Olympic Ceremonies...
                    That's more than likely due to the ghastly performance from the China closing ceremony than any character issues. It is somewhat disturbing that guys like Page and Bill Wyman seem to have achieved this odd "elder statesman" kind of status these days.
                    Last edited by chefcraig; 07-05-2012, 07:08 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• gbranton
                      Veteran
                      • Aug 2005

I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits
                      Not defending this type of behavior but it can happen pretty easily if you aren't on your Ps & Qs. I remember being at an Ozzy show in the mid 80's and I was approached by a cute girl who wanted to get on my shoulders. I obliged and before you know it she's topless, ample breasts bouncing off the top of my head, running her hands through my hair and grinding her damp panties on the back of my neck. I was thoroughly enjoying this part of the program, happily thinking about how I was about to score UNTIL SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. At which time I removed her from my shoulders and bade her farewell. I shudder to think about the awful situation I could have gotten into had she lied or not volunteered that bit of information.
                      "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Northern Girl
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that. The most flashing I ever saw that I can remember was at Motley shows.
                        Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                          Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that.
                          More than likely she was flashing Jake E. Lee. I recall one of my guitar player's younger sisters (she was around 13 or so) had a massive, shall we say obsessive crush on the guy.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• gbranton
                            Veteran
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                            Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that. The most flashing I ever saw that I can remember was at Motley shows.
                            I agree, Motley is the best. Two factors: (A) it was the 80's and (B) we were standing in front of Jake E Lee, who is a pretty darn cool looking cat.
                            "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Bible again

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by gbranton
                                Not defending this type of behavior but it can happen pretty easily if you aren't on your Ps & Qs. I remember being at an Ozzy show in the mid 80's and I was approached by a cute girl who wanted to get on my shoulders. I obliged and before you know it she's topless, ample breasts bouncing off the top of my head, running her hands through my hair and grinding her damp panties on the back of my neck. I was thoroughly enjoying this part of the program, happily thinking about how I was about to score UNTIL SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. At which time I removed her from my shoulders and bade her farewell. I shudder to think about the awful situation I could have gotten into had she lied or not volunteered that bit of information.
                                Yikes.

My point is though you didn't then fuck her for 6 months and get your manager to cover for you.

And with all due respect I'm guessing you weren't at the time the most famous rock guitarist on the planet with unlimited choices.

In fact aren't you kind of making my point better than I did?

Comment

Working...