Fuck my fucking alcoholic wreck of a father.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
    Don't expect it to. Eventually, he'll figure out that so many people can't all be wrong at once.
    Denial ain't just a river...
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Mushroom
      Commando
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by fraroc
      Honestly, it all seems very tempting for me to drop out of college and get a steady job, but I've worked hard in high school to get the grades to get into college, why stop now? If I really want a job, I could easily design my class schedule around my work hours....

As much as I'm willing to work minimum wage to make money, I really want to start thinking about a career.
      Here's some Tough Love... 99% of the people here are older than you and speak with experience... You need patience and perseverance. Don't be a pussy and drop out of college to get a steady job. Do you know what a steady job means? It's the easy way out (short term). Chances are you'll regret it, end up as a drunk just like your dad, and be a slacker for the rest of your life. Then you'll start blaming everybody else for your shortcomings.

Sounds like college is within your grasp. That's an opportunity handed to you. If you have the will there is a way. Face it. There are plenty of young folks out there who only desire to have the opportunity to go to college but their situation is more fucked up than yours. This is your chance!

My honest-to-Christ goal in life is to become a novelist, being the creative motherfucker that I am. Having no artistic talent, yet having pretty awesome ideas does make for a good writer. Hell, one of my English teachers in high school thought my research paper on The Great Gatsby was honest-to-God one of the best ones she's ever written. Perfect grade, no less.
      Are you banging your teacher?? Otherwise that sounds gay as fuck and/or illiterate.

P.S. I hope you're not getting a worthless english degree.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
        Do you know what a steady job means?
        Yeah, it means that he can pay the fucking bills and rock on. Please, tell me what else having a steady job means. And spare me the whole corporate bullshit. Jesus Christ...this is the Army??? Has this place come to the point that having a steady job is bullshit? Good god almighty...having a steady job is the antithesis of success...
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
          Still living in that dreamworld believing that prosperity exist in America eh, Zah?
          It's fucked up in general but I know someone who just got a pretty damn good break. There's hot spots here and there. It's a good honest break too. Not the pimping and thieving kind.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Mushroom
            Commando
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            Yeah, it means that he can pay the fucking bills and rock on. Please, tell me what else having a steady job means. And spare me the whole corporate bullshit. Jesus Christ...this is the Army??? Has this place come to the point that having a steady job is bullshit? Good god almighty...having a steady job is the antithesis of success...
            A steady job. Jeez... In Fraroc's case it would be underachieving. It could mean: Living paycheck to paycheck. Working at McDonald's because you're a great cashier. In your case it would mean one more part time Wal-Mart employee.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              Genius. Pure genius.
              I think Kristy should be the professional writer. LOL!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I used to fly fish with a guy who was a writer. His dad wrote a few novels. He did ok. Some might recognize the name.

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Yeah I've heard of that guy.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • May 2010

I will never speak to the fucker again.

Honestly, my mother is my fucking savior. She is one hell of a woman and despite the fact that sometimes we fight, I will always love and respect her.
                    Communication is key....even though drugs seem to rule.....remember that you and your dad and mom do not need them to communicate. So even drug fueled...there are moments when you can talk. The anger is not forever................

Last edited by SunisinuS; 10-01-2013, 02:19 AM. Reason: Soon enough death takes us all. So why sweat it? Be kewl...back away...and think. A bully only needs you close...
                    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

Find what you're good at. It helps if you love it, and would do it for free. Then do that.

I have sorted mail, made hamburgers, and been cheap labor for tilers and painters... Among a myriad of other jobs. Get out there man!

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                        Find what you're good at. It helps if you love it, and would do it for free. Then do that.
                        I don't mind what I do, but there is no way in hell I'd do it for free. I ain't runnin' no fuckin' charity here.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                          Still living in that dreamworld believing that prosperity exist in America eh, Zah?
                          Yes, not just believing or dreaming. Really living in it.

I do alright myself... plus got a 23 yr old making over $120K a year. Got a 22 yr old making over $50k in an internship that will convert to 6 figures when he graduates.

We're not miserable fucks sitting around getting high and whining about how the dream is gone. Prosperity is there for the taking if you want to get off your ass and work hard for it.
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mushroom
                            Sounds like college is within your grasp. That's an opportunity handed to you. If you have the will there is a way. Face it. There are plenty of young folks out there who only desire to have the opportunity to go to college but their situation is more fucked up than yours. This is your chance!
                            This^

I'm not so sure being a "novelist" is exactly where you'll land in life when you finish school, but it's good that you have a sense of direction. Get your ass to the city when your done schooling and take a shit job with Simon & Schuster, Doubleday/Random House or even Scholastic. Immerse yourself in the business of books and book making, especially now that the industry is going through the growing pains of shifting away from printed page to digital sources. Develop constructive leads, speak with the right people and work your ass off. While doing so, continuously write while you develop your master plan of shifting from workforce to writer. There's no doubt in my mind that this the way to go. It's all a matter of 'how bad do you want it?' at this point.

As for the troubles at home, keep calm, support your Mom and try to find a constructive way to alert your Dad, while he's sober of course, that he has a family destroying problem that he needs to get under control. Don't take this the wrong way but, in the modern era of the DVR that we live in, helping Pops with the window unit should have been a no brainer, but hey, it's over and done with. Always think before you act or open your mouth. I wish I could go back and give my 20 year old self that advice, but I can't. So I'm giving it to you. Hang in there.
                            Last edited by DLR Bridge; 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Shit the kid needs to go to North Dakota. It's busting with oil money and people got money for the clean hoes. If some oil money, a North Dakota bar brawl, and clean hoes don't grow some hair on your chest, I don't know what will.
                              Hey... my water still puts out fires. Plus I get monthly royalty checks from the big oil companies... their money spends just fine!!

My boy did 9 months up in North Dakota 2 years ago. Started as a welders apprentice. A month later he was smart and moved into a heavy equipment operator job and spent 12-15 hours a day in a climate controlled cab. While laborers were pulling 15 minute rotating shifts in below zero weather.

A buddy of mine was retired from IT work but had his CDL from driving the church bus... He went up to ND and is earning over $120K driving truck up there.
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Big money up in ND but I hear housing isn't cheap. Even the guys who have campers/RV's are getting gouged, and the Wal-Marts up there aren't letting people camp out in their parking lots.

Comment

Working...