X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • academic punk
    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Warham
    Only 35% of Americans approve of Cindy Sheehan anyway, according to up-to-the-minute polling data.

She's a miserable failure to the DNC. They need to get another story.

Really? That's an interesting definition of failure you have...

CRAWFORD, Texas – Hundreds of candlelight vigils calling for an end to the war in Iraq lit up the night Wednesday, part of a national effort spurred by one mother's anti-war demonstration near President Bush's ranch.
    The vigils were urged by Cindy Sheehan, who has become the icon of the anti-war movement since she started a protest Aug. 6 in memory of her son Casey, who died in Iraq last year.

Sheehan says she will remain outside the president's ranch until he meets with her and other grieving families, or until his monthlong vacation there ends.

Bush has said he sympathizes with Sheehan but has made no indication he will meet with her. Two top Bush administration officials talked to Sheehan the day she started her camp, and she and other families had met with Bush shortly after her son's death.

On Wednesday, more than 1,600 vigils were planned from coast to coast by liberal advocacy groups MoveOn.org Political Action, TrueMajority and Democracy for America. A large vigil was also set at Paris' Peace Wall, a glass monument near the Eiffel Tower that says "peace" in 32 languages.

As the sun set in Crawford, about 100 protesters lit candles and placed them in plastic cups to shield them from the breeze. They gathered around a wooden, flag-draped coffin at Sheehan's growing camp, about a mile from the Bush ranch.

In San Francisco, about 200 demonstrators showed up in a cold wind in front of the federal building to hold a vigil. A flutist played a tune as commuter traffic sped by and demonstrators huddled to keep their candles lit inside small paper cups. Some of the protesters held signs that read "Meet with Cindy" and "End the Iraq war."

One of the demonstrators, Anne Roesler, of San Jose, has a son who returned from a deployment in Mosul about four months ago.

"The only thing our troops are doing over there now is keeping themselves alive," she said. "It's time for George Bush to listen to people like Cindy."

Nooshin Razani, a 31-year-old Iranian American from San Francisco, said Bush needed to answer important questions like why the United States went to Iraq. Razani's 19-year-old brother died while serving as a medic for the U.S. Army in Iraq.

"I never want you to experience what my family experienced over the last year," she said.

In Concord, N.H., about 150 people stood shoulder-to-shoulder Wednesday outside the Statehouse holding candles and signs supporting Sheehan.

"My son is 26. It could've been him," said Karen Braz, 50, who held a pink votive cup and a sign reading "Moms for Peace."

A few hundred people gathered near Philadelphia's Independence Hall, straining to hear remarks by the parent of another soldier killed in Iraq.

"This war must stop," said Al Zappala, 65, whose 30-year-old son, Sgt. Sherwood Baker, died in an explosion in Baghdad in April 2004. "There are over 1,800 families that have heard that knock on the door."

Some critics say Sheehan is exploiting her son's death to promote a left-wing agenda supported by her and groups with which she associates. They say scores of Americans, including relatives of soldiers killed in Iraq, support Bush and his plans to keep troops there.

FreeRepublic.com, which holds rallies to support troops and to counter anti-war demonstrations, planned a pro-Bush rally Wednesday night at the same time and same Washington, D.C., park as a candlelight vigil there.

"For us, the organizers of the vigil are phony-baloney, betraying the sacrifices that those, men and women make in Iraq, by demanding that we pull our troops out now and leave Iraq to go to hell," said Kristinn Taylor, co-leader of the group's Washington, D.C., chapter. "This is a publicity stunt."

Some 200 people joined a peace vigil in Cincinnati's Fountain Square. Many carried candles, but were told not to light them because of potential harm to the downtown landmark. Demonstrators softly sang "Give Peace A Chance" and lined one side of the square with signs, drawing honks of support from some passing motorists.

A banner bearing the name, age, rank, hometown and date of death of all Americans killed in Iraq and Afghanistan was unrolled at a vigil in Charleston, W.Va. – stretching the length of a city block.

"Our pastors and preachers need to hear from us," said one of the speakers, Mary Ellen O'Farrell. "Ask your pastor to preach it from the pulpit. This war does not meet the criteria for a just war."

Along with candles and flags, some of the 300 people who gathered at a park in Nashville, Tenn., brought signs and banners of protest. One banner read, "Thank you for your courage Cindy."

About 200 people attended a rally and candlelight vigil on the south-side steps of the state Capitol in Oklahoma City. Marie Evans said it was a chance for those opposing the war to let their voices be heard.

"There was no question in my mind that we needed to make a statement in Oklahoma, which is a very conservative state," said Evans, who carried a sign that read "Their blood is on your hands."

In Hawaii, Kalihi Valley resident Charmaine Crockett invited scores of people to her hilltop house to light candles in sympathy for Sheehan.

"I'm very moved by one person making a difference," Crockett said. "This isn't an anti-war protest. The beauty of it lies in its silence ... And I never expected it to get this large."

Outside the state Capitol in Madison, Wis., Carol Berglund, 56, had a sign attached to the back of her bicycle reading: "It's time for peace. Stop the war."

"I don't think we ever should have gone there," she said. "I think it's immoral to be the starters of a war, to be the aggressors."

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Well, Democrats think Bush is a failure and he has a 44% approval rating.

So what does that make Sheehan? A miserable failure? An extreme failure?

Yeah, we had a vigil in a nearby town. Only 40 people showed up out of a possible 20,000+. It's going over big time, let me tell ya.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
        Sheehan left the ranch!
        But BUSH is still there while AMERICAN troops are dying in IRAQ...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yeah, we had a vigil in a nearby town. Only 40 people showed up out of a possible 20,000+. It's going over big time, let me tell ya.
          Why would they think she's a failure? the majority agree with her!

Comment

• academic punk
            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

It's snowballing. As you've said, in a different context, small steps. I'm not sure how the rasmuessen poll gathered its findings, but, hey, she's on the news every night, anyone who reads a paper or the watches TV in this country knows who she is and her cause.

BTW, here in NYC, there were at least a thousand people gathered in Union Square alone. I know that there were additional gatherings at Central park (much bigger) and Battery park (smaller).

I know the Union Sq number b/c I was there. It was pretty beautiful.

(HEY! Whatever happened to your "archbishop of photoshop title"???)

Comment

• Guitar Shark
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Your callousness is telling. So you have no problem attacking the mother of a slain soldier?

Incidentally, your comparison is silly. The opinion about Sheehan is pretty evenly mixed, with 35% in favor and 38% against. What about the remaining 30%? Who knows.

We definitely know in Bush's case. 44% favorable and 55% unfavorable. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Bush_Job_Approval.htm

Why do you continue to defend this idiot, War?
              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• academic punk
                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

And besides from that, in the first place, SHEEHAN ISN'T RUNNING FOR ANYTHING.

WHO GIVES A SHIT WHAT HER APPROVAL RATING IS???

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                  And besides from that, in the first place, SHEEHAN ISN'T RUNNING FOR ANYTHING.

WHO GIVES A SHIT WHAT HER APPROVAL RATING IS???
                  LOL! Good point.
                  ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                    Why would they think she's a failure? the majority agree with her!
                    35% is a majority? Only for liberals.

By the way, Nick, do you agree with her that this war is all about Israel and is being run by a Jewish cabal in Washington D.C.?
                    Last edited by Warham; 08-19-2005, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                      Your callousness is telling. So you have no problem attacking the mother of a slain soldier?

Incidentally, your comparison is silly. The opinion about Sheehan is pretty evenly mixed, with 35% in favor and 38% against. What about the remaining 30%? Who knows.

We definitely know in Bush's case. 44% favorable and 55% unfavorable. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Bush_Job_Approval.htm

Why do you continue to defend this idiot, War?
                      Nope, no problem attacking her viewpoints whatsoever.

She isn't off-limits just because her son died in the War effort.

She's said all kinds of inane things, yet for liberals, she's off the hook.

Like her comments about this war being run by a Jewish cabal. It's insanity.

I'm surprised the rest of the family hasn't tried to legally get a divorce from her.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

35% is a majority? Only for liberals.

By the way, Nick, do you agree with her that this war is all about Israel and is being run by a Jewish cabal in Washington D.C.?
                        Whose poll? Gimme the link on that one...

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

I posted the link above.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Nope, no problem attacking her viewpoints whatsoever.

She isn't off-limits just because her son died in the War effort.
                            Yet if someone questions this war, then you accuse that person of not "supporting the troops." Neocon logic -- works every time!

By the way, did you read that Rasmussen poll about the president's approval rating?

"Friday August 19, 2005--Forty-four percent (44%) of American adults approve of the way George W. Bush is performing his role as President. That's just one point above the lowest level ever recorded by Rasmussen Reports.

Fifty-five percent (55%) disapprove."
                            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

August 19, 2005
                              Poll: Most Blame Cindy Sheehan for High Gas Prices

Sheehan_thumbAccording to a recent poll, most Americans place the blame for skyrocketing prices at the pump squarely at the feet of anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan. The poll found that Americans were more likely to blame Mrs. Sheehan for their gasoline woes than they were illegal aliens, homosexuals, child molesters or Democrats.

Prices said to be highest within 100 mile radius of Mrs. Sheehan's protest

Link

Well, according to this poll, SHEEHAN is to blame for everything!

Comment

• Warham
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                                Yet if someone questions this war, then you accuse that person of not "supporting the troops." Neocon logic -- works every time!

By the way, did you read that Rasmussen poll about the president's approval rating?

"Friday August 19, 2005--Forty-four percent (44%) of American adults approve of the way George W. Bush is performing his role as President. That's just one point above the lowest level ever recorded by Rasmussen Reports.

Fifty-five percent (55%) disapprove."
                                Nothing wrong with questioning the war. It's our right as Americans to question the war. Calling Bush a 'murderer' and saying Jews are running the war is beyond 'questioning'. That's just being out and out idiotic. It's similar to calling the troops who came back from the Vietnam War 'babykillers'.

There are people who question the war who don't resort to tactics like that.

Comment

Working...