X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
    I cannot believe that's true. Come on. That would be so out of character for Mike, not even to send a card? I just don't buy that, no way.

Crawling up HAG's butt for extended periods destroys your
    basic compassion for anything except HAG, apparently.....
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

I'm pretty fucking torn...

As far as the Dave and Ed equalling McCartney and Lennon...

Sorry...there's no way that flies.

Sure, McCartney and Lennon were the masterminds behind the music, in the same way that Ed and Dave were...

but the way they connected was vastly different.

And the Beatles were the four...and you can ramble on and on and on about Pete Best and Stu Sutcliffe.

But the Beatlers were Paul and John and George and Ringo.

If you don't think that at the very least, George didn't have more input than neckbrace and BBQ sauce combined...then you aren't being very accurate.

Ringo brought shit to the band as well...

if only part of that fucking insanity from the women...when they performed.

Had John and Paul toured together without the other two...

1. THEY NEVER would have called it "The Beatles."

2. It would have been different...adult...deeper...

Now, you look at Dave and Ed and Alex and Mike...

The original Van Halen.

Personally...Mike is just a fucking bass player. Yeah, he can sing. Yeah, I liked the guy in the band. No, he isn't the greatest fucking bass player...but who fucking cares...I'm so sick of people saying that shit. Like Neil fucking Pert or Fucking Bonzo played for every fucking band.

But he was 1/4 of something that transcended music.

I'm so motherfucking sick of people saying it's Just Dave (which is ridiculous...because if that were the case...then you'd be happy WITHOUT a reunion), or Dave and Ed (which is equally ridiculous).

How many times did great musicians perform together in a band that was good...

BEFORE finding the tandem that made them BIGGER than the music.

Lightning in a bottle man...

10 years of lightning in a fucking bottle.

4 of them...

and I don't care what any of you say...if you take any of them out of the equation back in the 70's...and you have something very different.

Imagine Mike isn't there...and Ed is the fucking primary backup singer...

Imagine that Mike wasn't there with his laid back-ness...in your face partying...

but the fucker was happy...and there wasn't a whole lot of fucking happy in that band from the time it started.

You don't THINK THAT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH KEEPING THEM TOGETHER?

YOU DON'T THINK THAT NECKBRACE being there crank grabbing his brother didn't help Ed?

Musically...they all fit...for whatever reason. WEre there better?

Yeah...

so fucking what...

haven't any of you BEEN IN A BAND?

9 times out of 10 it has nothing to do with how good you are.

What if you had Sheehan in there WITH HIS FUCKING EGO?

Jesus Christ...this wouldn't have ended in 1985...

it would have ended in 1975 with a fucking Dirty Harry shootout.

So what does this mean for 2007?

The same fucking thing it meant in 2004...

going through the motions...

and dED getting Dave...so that people come and see the three Van Halens perform together...

I'll fucking go...

but jesus christ...quit downplaying what you all know is more than you are fucking admitting...

this is 10 fucking years past due...

and probably 7 years from being above quality night after night...

I hope I'm wrong...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• PlexiBrown
        Commando
        • Mar 2006

If this is true then Mike ain't no angel. People on forums just automatically assumed that Mike is out because of The Other Half, and like most rumors, it just took on a life of it's own.
        And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

"...and we've only just begun..."DLR

Comment

• PlexiBrown
            Commando
            • Mar 2006

The funeral thing with Mike also better explains why Hagar in 2004 had to convince Eddie to have Mike in the band for the tour. If Ed was pissed at Sam and Mike for the same thing then why would Eddie be cool with touring with Sam at the time and have this huge issue with Mike? Wolfgang wasn't ready to replace Mike in 2004.
            And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

I seem to recall there being rumors that Ed wanted Mike out IN 1978...

and every year since then...

If Ed didn't have a kid bigger than Hagar...this tour wouldn't be happening...

he's probably thinking this is the way to get his kid not to have a fucking coronary by the time he turns 17....
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by PlexiBrown
                Wolfgang wasn't ready to replace Mike in 2004.

This was the only sentence you needed to say there...

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Dave & Eddie are Van HALEN in the same way that Lennon & McCartney were the Beatles.
                  I'll agree in the sense that competitive conflict brought out the best...in both instances.

It's weird when you consider the fact that Ringo And George just fucking took time-outs. See, they were trying to deal with TWO brilliant songwriters.

Mike and Al were dealing with a brilliant songwriter, and a brilliant guitarist. No time for time-outs. Think about it. Is it any fucking wonder Mike and Al became comfortable with whatever version DIDN'T include the conflict?

So Ed mentioned how grate it is to be playing the songs that "made" Van Halen?

Lyrics dictate arrangements, motherfuckers.

Al better take some calcium.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

LIGHT THE FUCKING TORCH!

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

I'm getting goosebumps listening to Pretty Woman. I can't wait.

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Any sadness you guys feel towards no mike,
                        replace it with this overwhelming feeling of joy,
                        NO MORE VAN HAGAR !!!

(Hey its workin for me !)
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                          Commando
                          • Mar 2006

I seem to recall there being rumors that Ed wanted Mike out IN 1978...
                          To have a more accomplished bassist in the band, not for personal reasons.

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Wont ya tell me ??

WHERE WILL ALL THE HAG SHEEP GO ??
                            WHERE WILL ALL THE HAG SHEEP GO ??
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Shit...there was no Hagar to me...when there WAS Hagar...

I'm not sad about Mike...lmfao...it's a fucking band...

Once I got good and pissed about how late it was...about 4 years ago...

all 4 getting together now would piss me off...

wasted fucking time...

I remember thinking 15 years ago...

"They'll get together at the fucking HoF induction..."

15 fucking years ago...

this is so fucking contrived...it makes me want to puke...

Comment

• jgdrag
                                Sniper
                                • Jul 2005

As far as reflacing bass player

Actually, 1980 after Talas opened for Van Halen, they wanted Billy Sheehan. This can be verified by the DLR MTV 1986 EEAS video interview by Billy himself from what I remember
                                Last edited by jgdrag; 02-03-2007, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...