X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

hey, Roth n' Rollers!!!

what a fuckin' night. got to the hotel at about 5pm after driving up from Atlanta. turns out the Buckhead Saloon is right in the bottom of the hotel and just a block or so from the arena.

the bar was hopping. I didn't give anyone my cell, so I didn't hook up with any of the other guys. but I did meet some crazy fuckin' Swedes and so many other kick-ass VH fans from all around the country that I didn't even have time to miss the rest of the Army folks. met people from Sweden, Argentina (I think), Virginia, Ohio, New York, Illinois, and of course even a few people that actually live here in NC.

once inside, the marley kid was better than i was expecting.

but then, at 8:30, Eddie strolls out and goes to town. they kick into YRGM, Dave's up to waving that big fuckin' red flag.

like the review says, the setlist is just about the same from the rehearsals. in no fuckin' order: I'm The one, Romeo, Unchained, So this is love, mean street (with full intro), little guitars, little dreamer, atomic punk, icm (dave on acoustic), rwtd, atbl, drum solo, guitar solo (women in love, 316, eruption, cathedral), jamie's cryin', dtna, sgmad, cradle, everybody wants some, pretty woman, hft, i'll wait, panama, and they close with 1984/jump.

just seeing Dave and Ed together up there, in full form, rockin' out and having a GREAT time together was priceless.

Wolf was better than i expected. the bass lines were "sexy" and his backing vox held up surprisingly well.

I actually enjoyed Al's solo, too.

Dave didn't do much talking between songs, as many ran into the next one.

too many great moments to recall them all.

show clocked in at about 2:10.

I can die now....

what a night!!!
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• damngoodtimes
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

oh, I forgot, Dave had the inflatable giant microphone during Jump!!!
      David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
      — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• Hyman Roth
        Veteran
        • Nov 2006

Well...I'm real tired so a more detailed review will have to come tomorrow. Let me just say: Dave owned that Arena and the band sounded fantastic!! If they play with 1/3 of the energy and chemistry that they had tonight in Charlotte when you (the reader) go to see them in your town, you are in for a treat. They really, really sounded great ESPECIALLY Dave.

And yes, although we had a laptop in the hotel room, we couldn't log onto the internet so no play by play. I had a blast with Army personell. Very cool people!

Sorry my camera phone sucks so much:

Trollidillo-T

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• redblkwht
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

keep the posts coming, enquiring minds especially here @
            the army are flippin dying to know

Hyman , thanks for your update!

EUAS

Comment

• BrownSound1
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

I've got to know one thing.....did Dave say "LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT"

Comment

• SparkieD
                Veteran
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                I've got to know one thing.....did Dave say "LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT"

Yep! The first words out of his mouth (that he wasn't singing.)
                Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                Originally posted by rustoffa
                Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• DirtyDeeds
                  Roadie
                  • Mar 2007

Here's my review I posted at a Guns n' Roses board I use frequently. Some details are not necessary for you diehard VH fans, but it's alright.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Was Van Halen's first show with DLR in 23 years rock's biggest disappointment?

NO FUCKING WAY!!!! IT KICKED MOTHERFUCKING ASS!!!!!!!!! I just got back... show was abut 5 hours ago, but it takes that long to get back home.

So, I live in Wilmington, which, in case you don't know, is a small seaside city in NC. It takes four or more hours to get to Charlotte. I was taking my mom for a 39th Birthday present. The trip there is one of the worst drives there are, just about, and it seemed to take FOREVER, and I was afraid that there would be traffic and we'd be late.

Nope, got there with time to spare. After a bunch of shenanigans finding parking, we grab the banners I made, the tickets, and I change into a shirt I made which was still drying in the back of the car on the way there. We walk toward the arena, and I had extra tickets that I had been trying desperately to get rid of. I sold them for practically nothing to a scalper who was going to turn around and sell them for more for a profit, but I just wanted to get inside. Oh well, it's enough for gas money to the Greensboro show tomorrow night, anyway. So I walk up to the line where they scan your ticket, metal-detect you, etc. "Is that a banner, young man?" "Yes." "Sorry, No banners allowed. Band's request." I was bummed, I worked really hard on them, and one was really cool, for Wolfie, and I thought he would really appreciate it. So I hid them in a bush to pick up after the show.

We get in, pick up some t-shirts (I wasn't too impressed with the t-shirt selection, to be quite honest with you... there were a few alright ones, but nothing WOW), and we go to the next line... the first ushers who will tell you which general section to go to... so we were admitted to the floor... then we hit the next ushers... one looks at my tickets and goes, "oh, follow me right this way, sir!" So we follow her. Now, I know I had good tickets. I had what was by all indications eighth row. However, I was scared that it meant the 8th row BEHIND the VIP section or something.... the usher keeps walking... and walking.... and walking... and every step, my jaw drops a little further, until she shows us our row, and I'm in shock. It was AMAZING! It wasn't even 8th row... it was FIFTH row! She says, "You're down at the end, up against the ramp." I seriously almost fainted. We had the best seats in the house, and I mean it. We were a foot from the ramp, only a little barrier between us and it, enough for a bouncer to sit there. Our seats were closer than many of the VIP's seats, and with a better view. We were completely unobstructed. Not only would they be sweating on us when they came out on the ramp, but the main stage was not far AT ALL and we had the perfect angle and distance so that the sound was mixed great and we could see all band members clearly at all times. I was on Wolfie's side, but if I had the same seats, but Eddie's side (mirror-imaged), it would not have been as good... I would not have been able to see Eddie clearly through the hands. So we had 5th row, but in many ways we had 1st row. There was nobody in front of us. The people in the VIP section had a lot of hands in their faces and it generally did NOT look as good as my seat! I was surprised at how many people in the VIP section were coming and going during the show... I wouldn't miss a minute... lots of people pissed drunk out of their minds, too, which I would NOT do, especially with VIP Expen$ive seats. But I guess if you're a rich asshole... Interestingly, I believe David Coverdale was in the VIP audience. Not 100% on that, but I really think it was him. There was a nice couple in front of us that got there 5 minutes after we did, and the look on their faces was priceless... she was so excited he had gotten her such great tickets she started gasping and jumping up and down and hugging him. I told the guy, "You'll get some leg tonight for sure!"

So Ky-Mani Marley starts, and I was scared of this part. I checked out his music online, and found it to be hip-hop with a Jamaican accent. Not this stuff though. This was reggae, even with a little hard rock mixed in. It was actually pretty decent, though nobody was paying attention. He did play one song by his famous father, Bob Marley. It was alright.

Then they left, and suddenly from the side of the stage, a couple of Van Halen blimps start flying out, and they flew around the arena for a while. It was pretty cool. The lights dimmed, and the place went absolutely fucking bananas. All the sudden, you see Eddie Van Halen out there in front, playing a little lick before starting the riff to You Really Got Me. The curtain in the back was still up, but it was then ripped off, to reveal a certain Diamond Dave at the top in back of the stage waving a giant red flag, and the place was just mad, especially me! I started taking pictures with my phone (not sure how they came out, but eventually the bouncer told me it wasn't allowed, so that was that... I wasn't going to chance being thrown out at THIS show! I will post those pictures after I get some sleep). It was amazing. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The whole, sold-out, packed-to-the-brims arena just going insane. You should have seen Eddie's smile but moreson DAVE'S. He was smiling so wide, I thought his lips would start to rip at the sides. In fact, he was literally on the verge of tears (if not out-and-out crying) by the middle of the second song (can't even remember what it was now), where he stopped the music for 3 or 4 minutes and everyone cheered their asses off. It was a very special moment. Then he said something like, "It only took us over 20 years to get to this point..." I seriously have never seen a man happier. DIAMOND DAVE of all people, for once in his life, was speechless. You could tell it was all really sinking in to him at that moment.

I'll go into more detail after some sleep, but I do want to mention a couple highlights (although the energy NEVER EVER slowed down! They kept playing great song after great song! I was not disappointed ONCE with the song choice, and Dave was usual Dave in top form, talking to the crowd and really playing off its energy).

Highlights:

1) Eddie COULD NOT STOP JUMPING AROUND, GOING NUTS, SMILING LIKE A LUNATIC, AND HE DID ABOUT 20 FLYING EDDIES A MINUTE!!!!!! EDDIE VAN MOTHERFUCKIN' HALEN IS BACK, PEOPLE!!!!!!

2) One of those lucky guys on the ego ramp that Zint talked about in the other thread that was slapping Wolfie's hand was yours truly.

3) WOLFIE!!!!! The kid can play! The kid can sing! Seriously, and I mean this 100% honestly... I did not think of Michael Anthony ONCE during this show, not even for a half a second! Wolfie was just the man! He did GREAT! And I was surprised by how comfortable he was on stage! He interacted, thanked the crowd many times, had a spotless musical performance, ran around the stage, was enjoying the hell out of himself... the kid's great and he'll go places... he's still learning stuff about being on stage, sure, but he did one HELL of a fine job. He seemed like he fit right in, the right guy for Van Halen bass.

4) They played 1984 before Jump, and they had this cool disco ball type thing making it look like stars all over the arena... I mean... it looks much cooler in a huge arena than anywhere else. Dave also came back out with the flag and started waving it slowly to the music. Pretty psychadelic, actually.

5) Eddie and Dave were joking, together... and I mean REALLY JOKING, not staged stuff... they were cracking jokes to each other off the mic and slapping each other on the back and had GIGANTIC smiles the whole time.... these both are two different people than they were two or three years ago. I saw them both seperately then, and the difference is undescribable, and I enjoyed them 2 or 3 years ago! The chemistry is really there. I mean REALLY THERE. The magic is there, you HAVE to see it for yourself!

6) Dave literally sweated on me.

7) Dave told us this really really cool interesting story about the old days of playing backyards in Pasadena, leading up to playing Ice Cream Man. I won't ruin the story for those who are going to see the show themselves.

8) Eddie. The guy is back. His solo is truly inspired again, and he has that look in his eye and in his smile. You know the one. The "Yeah, that's right. I'm Eddie Fuckin' Van Halen." one. He was running around like crazy, jumping, Flying Eddies... he ran over to his son on the other side of the stage, slid across on his knees, and did one of those classic rock star poses there in front of him, only to slap Wolf on the ass, get up and Flying Eddie his was back to his side of the stage. In his solo, he dropped to the ground and started spinning around on his side, only to lay there at the end and blow smoke rings into the camera lens and give that sly smile. The real Eddie is here at last. So is the real Dave... THE REAL VAN HALEN IS HERE!!!!!!!

9) Jump. Dave came out on the ramp RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and hopped on this giant inflatable microphone and started straddling it and jumping it back up the ramp. Awesome. A REAL arena show! Inflatable crap, lasers, blimps, confetti... just plain awesome over-the-top stuff we all love Van Halen for. It's back, with a passion.

10) DAVE. Dave was ON FIRE!!!!! Not only did he move around like a nut, do his classic Rothisms. talk to us, etc., the guy can SING!!!!! I am not stretching the truth and inch when I tell you that he sounded JUST LIKE THE ALBUMS!!!! That is how good his voice is! Not only his singing voice, but AT LEAST a dozen times, he did his signature high yelp things DEAD ON EVERY TIME!!!! Dave is in top form. He wouldn't stop going crazy the whole show, yet he never was short of breath whatsoever. His singing was never compensated. The guy is really REALLY in shape. He's actually probably better than he ever was, and I'm not joking. THIS IS THE VAN HALEN TO SEE! THIS IS THE show to see!!! The show of a decade! Or more! Hands down the BEST show I've ever seen, or ever hope to see. Not only was it a historic rock show, it was a perfect one.

Ok, I need some sleep, but I'll add more in the morning (or likely the afternoon). I took work off to recover, so feel free to ask any questions. I'll post pics. Tomorrow night I'm going to the Greensboro show, so I'll also tell you how the second show was in comparison!

Let me just say this in conclusion: From what I saw today, I truly believe that this version of Van Halen will be the one that will stay with us until the end of the band. They will release new albums and tour. They really LOOKED like a "new band." I mean, the passion was REALLY THERE. There was NO BULLSHIT TONIGHT, PEOPLE! This was the REAL DEAL! You can't fake that type of passion and emotion that I experienced tonight. It just can't be done. This is the real Van Halen, and they know it. They were NOT bullshitting you AT ALL in the press conference. They delivered on every account, and I believe them when they say they are sticking together. I really believe it.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2004

Can't get a better review than that, man!
                    I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

From mrtgman;

Keep in mind that reviews are opinions and we all know what they say about opinions. So here’s mine...take a whiff!

First of all let’s put this to rest. Wolfie did great. He kept mostly on his side of the stage, did not move much, not really any stage presence but then again he is a 16 year old kid. He did look a little odd up there but that will probably just take some getting used to. Michael Anthony was not missed as far as vocals go. No bass solo. He did venture out onto the ramp once or twice but that was about it. Overall good job!

Roth was at his best! Vocals were strong. Attitude was great and remembered all the words (mostly anyway). Not much in terms of screams and NO jumps. Pretty much the same routine as his solo shows. Voice was top notch.

Eddie was honestly not the best I have heard him. His playing was rather weak considering he is Eddie Van Halen. I personally thought he played better in 04' when he was drinking. His solo seemed somewhat lacking and uninspired although he really seemed to be enjoying himself on stage and seemed to have a good repore going with Dave. Lots of "Eddie jumps" and improvised rhythm playing and solos. Looks worn out quite frankly but still the king without a doubt.

Alex was just kind of there. Nothing special. His solo was strong and he seemed to be happy playing with Roth. No neckbrace!

The band seemed to be getting lost during the first half of the show. The rhythm was way out of sync and it almost sounded like a garage band during rehearsal. You could not miss the fact that they were not playing tight. I personally was really surprised to hear them screw up so bad. I do not really know where to lay the blame for that. Maybe some of the musicians on the board who were there can help me out on this one.

Overall a great night with nothing but classic VH songs. T-shirts were $40 (ouch). Bought mine from a guy in the parking garage for $10! The opening act only played for about 1/2 hour. Vh took the stage around 8:30 so keep that in mind. They played for about 2 hours and no one looked tired. They are all in great shape. They did have two big black blimps that start flying around before the show starts. Pretty cool.

I am definitely glad I went and hope the mighty Van Halen will continue on. The fact they have not played together for 20 years shows but time will diminish that I'm sure!

You could definitely tell Ed was really happy playing on stage with his son. Hopefully that will inspire him to stay clean and bring us more great music in the future!
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• bru87tr
                        Commando
                        • Apr 2004

rock on, keep it comin !!!!!
                        "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• bru87tr
                          Commando
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DirtyDeeds
                          Here's my review I posted at a Guns n' Roses board I use frequently. Some details are not necessary for you diehard VH fans, but it's alright.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Was Van Halen's first show with DLR in 23 years rock's biggest disappointment?

NO FUCKING WAY!!!! IT KICKED MOTHERFUCKING ASS!!!!!!!!! I just got back... show was abut 5 hours ago, but it takes that long to get back home.

So, I live in Wilmington, which, in case you don't know, is a small seaside city in NC. It takes four or more hours to get to Charlotte. I was taking my mom for a 39th Birthday present. The trip there is one of the worst drives there are, just about, and it seemed to take FOREVER, and I was afraid that there would be traffic and we'd be late.

Nope, got there with time to spare. After a bunch of shenanigans finding parking, we grab the banners I made, the tickets, and I change into a shirt I made which was still drying in the back of the car on the way there. We walk toward the arena, and I had extra tickets that I had been trying desperately to get rid of. I sold them for practically nothing to a scalper who was going to turn around and sell them for more for a profit, but I just wanted to get inside. Oh well, it's enough for gas money to the Greensboro show tomorrow night, anyway. So I walk up to the line where they scan your ticket, metal-detect you, etc. "Is that a banner, young man?" "Yes." "Sorry, No banners allowed. Band's request." I was bummed, I worked really hard on them, and one was really cool, for Wolfie, and I thought he would really appreciate it. So I hid them in a bush to pick up after the show.

We get in, pick up some t-shirts (I wasn't too impressed with the t-shirt selection, to be quite honest with you... there were a few alright ones, but nothing WOW), and we go to the next line... the first ushers who will tell you which general section to go to... so we were admitted to the floor... then we hit the next ushers... one looks at my tickets and goes, "oh, follow me right this way, sir!" So we follow her. Now, I know I had good tickets. I had what was by all indications eighth row. However, I was scared that it meant the 8th row BEHIND the VIP section or something.... the usher keeps walking... and walking.... and walking... and every step, my jaw drops a little further, until she shows us our row, and I'm in shock. It was AMAZING! It wasn't even 8th row... it was FIFTH row! She says, "You're down at the end, up against the ramp." I seriously almost fainted. We had the best seats in the house, and I mean it. We were a foot from the ramp, only a little barrier between us and it, enough for a bouncer to sit there. Our seats were closer than many of the VIP's seats, and with a better view. We were completely unobstructed. Not only would they be sweating on us when they came out on the ramp, but the main stage was not far AT ALL and we had the perfect angle and distance so that the sound was mixed great and we could see all band members clearly at all times. I was on Wolfie's side, but if I had the same seats, but Eddie's side (mirror-imaged), it would not have been as good... I would not have been able to see Eddie clearly through the hands. So we had 5th row, but in many ways we had 1st row. There was nobody in front of us. The people in the VIP section had a lot of hands in their faces and it generally did NOT look as good as my seat! I was surprised at how many people in the VIP section were coming and going during the show... I wouldn't miss a minute... lots of people pissed drunk out of their minds, too, which I would NOT do, especially with VIP Expen$ive seats. But I guess if you're a rich asshole... Interestingly, I believe David Coverdale was in the VIP audience. Not 100% on that, but I really think it was him. There was a nice couple in front of us that got there 5 minutes after we did, and the look on their faces was priceless... she was so excited he had gotten her such great tickets she started gasping and jumping up and down and hugging him. I told the guy, "You'll get some leg tonight for sure!"

So Ky-Mani Marley starts, and I was scared of this part. I checked out his music online, and found it to be hip-hop with a Jamaican accent. Not this stuff though. This was reggae, even with a little hard rock mixed in. It was actually pretty decent, though nobody was paying attention. He did play one song by his famous father, Bob Marley. It was alright.

Then they left, and suddenly from the side of the stage, a couple of Van Halen blimps start flying out, and they flew around the arena for a while. It was pretty cool. The lights dimmed, and the place went absolutely fucking bananas. All the sudden, you see Eddie Van Halen out there in front, playing a little lick before starting the riff to You Really Got Me. The curtain in the back was still up, but it was then ripped off, to reveal a certain Diamond Dave at the top in back of the stage waving a giant red flag, and the place was just mad, especially me! I started taking pictures with my phone (not sure how they came out, but eventually the bouncer told me it wasn't allowed, so that was that... I wasn't going to chance being thrown out at THIS show! I will post those pictures after I get some sleep). It was amazing. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The whole, sold-out, packed-to-the-brims arena just going insane. You should have seen Eddie's smile but moreson DAVE'S. He was smiling so wide, I thought his lips would start to rip at the sides. In fact, he was literally on the verge of tears (if not out-and-out crying) by the middle of the second song (can't even remember what it was now), where he stopped the music for 3 or 4 minutes and everyone cheered their asses off. It was a very special moment. Then he said something like, "It only took us over 20 years to get to this point..." I seriously have never seen a man happier. DIAMOND DAVE of all people, for once in his life, was speechless. You could tell it was all really sinking in to him at that moment.

I'll go into more detail after some sleep, but I do want to mention a couple highlights (although the energy NEVER EVER slowed down! They kept playing great song after great song! I was not disappointed ONCE with the song choice, and Dave was usual Dave in top form, talking to the crowd and really playing off its energy).

Highlights:

1) Eddie COULD NOT STOP JUMPING AROUND, GOING NUTS, SMILING LIKE A LUNATIC, AND HE DID ABOUT 20 FLYING EDDIES A MINUTE!!!!!! EDDIE VAN MOTHERFUCKIN' HALEN IS BACK, PEOPLE!!!!!!

2) One of those lucky guys on the ego ramp that Zint talked about in the other thread that was slapping Wolfie's hand was yours truly.

3) WOLFIE!!!!! The kid can play! The kid can sing! Seriously, and I mean this 100% honestly... I did not think of Michael Anthony ONCE during this show, not even for a half a second! Wolfie was just the man! He did GREAT! And I was surprised by how comfortable he was on stage! He interacted, thanked the crowd many times, had a spotless musical performance, ran around the stage, was enjoying the hell out of himself... the kid's great and he'll go places... he's still learning stuff about being on stage, sure, but he did one HELL of a fine job. He seemed like he fit right in, the right guy for Van Halen bass.

4) They played 1984 before Jump, and they had this cool disco ball type thing making it look like stars all over the arena... I mean... it looks much cooler in a huge arena than anywhere else. Dave also came back out with the flag and started waving it slowly to the music. Pretty psychadelic, actually.

5) Eddie and Dave were joking, together... and I mean REALLY JOKING, not staged stuff... they were cracking jokes to each other off the mic and slapping each other on the back and had GIGANTIC smiles the whole time.... these both are two different people than they were two or three years ago. I saw them both seperately then, and the difference is undescribable, and I enjoyed them 2 or 3 years ago! The chemistry is really there. I mean REALLY THERE. The magic is there, you HAVE to see it for yourself!

6) Dave literally sweated on me.

7) Dave told us this really really cool interesting story about the old days of playing backyards in Pasadena, leading up to playing Ice Cream Man. I won't ruin the story for those who are going to see the show themselves.

8) Eddie. The guy is back. His solo is truly inspired again, and he has that look in his eye and in his smile. You know the one. The "Yeah, that's right. I'm Eddie Fuckin' Van Halen." one. He was running around like crazy, jumping, Flying Eddies... he ran over to his son on the other side of the stage, slid across on his knees, and did one of those classic rock star poses there in front of him, only to slap Wolf on the ass, get up and Flying Eddie his was back to his side of the stage. In his solo, he dropped to the ground and started spinning around on his side, only to lay there at the end and blow smoke rings into the camera lens and give that sly smile. The real Eddie is here at last. So is the real Dave... THE REAL VAN HALEN IS HERE!!!!!!!

9) Jump. Dave came out on the ramp RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and hopped on this giant inflatable microphone and started straddling it and jumping it back up the ramp. Awesome. A REAL arena show! Inflatable crap, lasers, blimps, confetti... just plain awesome over-the-top stuff we all love Van Halen for. It's back, with a passion.

10) DAVE. Dave was ON FIRE!!!!! Not only did he move around like a nut, do his classic Rothisms. talk to us, etc., the guy can SING!!!!! I am not stretching the truth and inch when I tell you that he sounded JUST LIKE THE ALBUMS!!!! That is how good his voice is! Not only his singing voice, but AT LEAST a dozen times, he did his signature high yelp things DEAD ON EVERY TIME!!!! Dave is in top form. He wouldn't stop going crazy the whole show, yet he never was short of breath whatsoever. His singing was never compensated. The guy is really REALLY in shape. He's actually probably better than he ever was, and I'm not joking. THIS IS THE VAN HALEN TO SEE! THIS IS THE show to see!!! The show of a decade! Or more! Hands down the BEST show I've ever seen, or ever hope to see. Not only was it a historic rock show, it was a perfect one.

Ok, I need some sleep, but I'll add more in the morning (or likely the afternoon). I took work off to recover, so feel free to ask any questions. I'll post pics. Tomorrow night I'm going to the Greensboro show, so I'll also tell you how the second show was in comparison!

Let me just say this in conclusion: From what I saw today, I truly believe that this version of Van Halen will be the one that will stay with us until the end of the band. They will release new albums and tour. They really LOOKED like a "new band." I mean, the passion was REALLY THERE. There was NO BULLSHIT TONIGHT, PEOPLE! This was the REAL DEAL! You can't fake that type of passion and emotion that I experienced tonight. It just can't be done. This is the real Van Halen, and they know it. They were NOT bullshitting you AT ALL in the press conference. They delivered on every account, and I believe them when they say they are sticking together. I really believe it.
                          from what I seen in rehearsal clips, I tend to believe this review more.

besides , nobody wants to hear anything negative about our boys.

Comment

• CVH Rulz
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jun 2005

By JANE STEVENSON

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Their hair is a lot shorter but the undeniable chemistry is still there.

After 22 years apart, Van Halen guitarist Eddie Van Halen and original lead singer David Lee Roth were back on stage together for the L.A. hard rock band's much-anticipated reunion tour, which launched last night at the Charlotte Bobcats arena in front of some 18,000 fans.

Joining the duo, whose long locks used to be as much a part of their identity as their respective showmanship and incredible finger dexterity, was original drummer Alex Van Halen and Eddie's 16-year-old son Wolfgang on bass.

Wolfgang is replacing the band's fourth and final original member, Michael Anthony, who's touring next month with one-time Van Halen vocalist Sammy Hagar.

And while Wolfgang may be the odd man out, sharing the stage with three fiftysomething musicians, he displayed a confidence and musicianship well beyond his age, even venturing out on the band's S-shaped catwalk by himself to get closer to the crowd.

Eddie, meanwhile, was all smiles all night long, beaming like a proud parent at Wolfgang, hi-fiving Roth -- who grinned right back -- on more than one occasion, and performing scissor kicks while playing his guitar at lightning speed.

He was the undisputed star -- "The Maestro" as Roth called him -- of the night.

For example, when Roth and Eddie had a contest about who could make a better motorcycle sound with their mouth or guitar, Roth easily backed down saying: "I can't do that!"

If anything, it was Roth who was the weakest link of the evening, at least physically.

He still sounds decent enough and loves to tell a good story, like the long-winded but funny one right before he played acoustic guitar on Ice Cream Man, but his legendary limberness isn't what it used to be.

This was a guy who could high kick and jump with the best of them.

These days, the blond-streaked Roth mainly twirls a microphone stand while his clownish attire and "Diamond Dave" behaviour -- he wore tight black leather pants, two different top hats, several gold embossed jackets worthy of Liberace, and alternately twirled a chain during Unchained and a red flag like a gymnast during Jump -- isn't as engaging as it used to be.

Van Halen's two-hour-and-10-minute performance kicked off with a triple-shot of great classic rock -- their cover of The Kinks' You Really Got Me, I'm the One, which the band stopped mid-song to rapturous applause -- "It only took us 20 years to get this far," said Roth -- and Runnin' With the Devil.

In between, there were such classics -- all from the Roth-fronted years of 1978-84 -- as Romeo Delight, Beautiful Girls, Dance the Night Away, Everybody Wants Some, their cover of Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, I'll Wait, And the Cradle Will Rock, Hot For Teacher, Little Guitars, Jamie's Cryin', Panama, and Ain't Talkin' Bout Love.

Truthfully, it was hard to maintain the energy of that trio of opening songs, but the band definitely aimed to please with a hits-heavy set list and backed by impressive green laser lights, an enormous video backdrop and confetti raining down on the audience by the very end.

"I can't tell you all how excited we are to be here tonight," said Roth.

The unseasonably warm temperatures outside -- in the low 30s Celcius -- did little to dampen the enthusiasm inside the arena as fans held up everything from signs to flags to hand-drawn pictures.

Like most big tours, Van Halen's 29-date road trip started in a relatively small market before travelling to Greensboro, N.C. tomorrow, Philadelphia on Monday and Wednesday and then crossing the border to Toronto for two shows on Oct. 7 and 12.

The other Canadian dates are Vancouver on Dec. 5, Calgary on Dec. 7 and Edmonton on Dec. 9, the latter the final date of the tour.

---

VAN HALEN

Charlotte Bobcats Arena, Charlotte, N.C.

Last night

Sun Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

Comment

• bru87tr
                              Commando
                              • Apr 2004

I dont understand the negative comments by these journalists.

what are they talking about his liberace cloths ? thats tame!!! he wore way more extravagant cloths back in the day.

and not as limber as he use to be ? well name a fucking lead singer at his age who can do a high kick ? maybe cause of his last injury dr.'s told him not to do it anymore. cause it wasnt long ago he was still doing the riser jumps.

these people dont have a clue about VH or never went to a classic van halen show back in the day.

they dump on roth as much as they can even if it is little stabs.

his goofy smile, et etc and all these comments. dave has had that goofy smile since they have been VH. watch all the interviews.

morons.

oh, and the motorcycle contest ? watch the rehearsal clips bitch. dave killed eddie in that contest.

Comment

• moose
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2004

Review from Toronto Sun

Comment

Working...