Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluestreak
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Aug 2007

I was there last night. My ears are still ringing. Holy shit what an awesome show!!

Opening act was pretty good. Marley thanked "Mr David Lee Roth" for getting him on stage. Crowd loved that.

When Van Halen came on stage the place went nuts. I was up in the nose bleed section and the crowd was so loud that it was hard to hear the music in parts of YRGM. The break down in the middle of I'm the One was amazing. The crowd was whipped into a frenzy. And then they whipped into Romeo Delight. The extended jam in the middle of that was really a high point of the concert.

I'm not going to review every song but just cover a few highlights.

Roth --- He kicked ass. Maybe he wasn't jumping around like twenty years ago but he made up for it with showmanship learned over the years. His dancing during "dance the night away" was way cool -- looked like Travolta for a few minutes. His voice was also spot on. He didn't try for all the high screams, but he did add some new stuff that added to the over all power of th VH sound in ways that screams never would. This was the first time I saw VH with Dave. Sorry Sammy, but Dave is a rock star and Sammy is just a nice guy with a big voice. Dave really entertained without getting in the way. I never thought I would use this world to describe DLR, but I thought he was really "classy" last night.

Wolfie -- This kid is the shot in the arm VH needed. First off, I think his back up vocals were better than MA's. The backing vocals in And the Craddle will rock had a more menacing sound. Also, the Hey Hey Hey in the end of Aint Talkin About Love blew me away. The backing vocals were really a highlight of the night for me. As far as musicianship I think Wolfie really added something. There were little bass flourishes here and there that I never heard with MA. Ed Wolf and Al were extremely tight, no slop. A couple of their Jams together were jaw dropping. As for Wolf's stage presence -- I think he did a good job for his first show. From my perch high in the nos bleed section he looked like a slinky demon slithering around. He doesn't stand out, but doesn't get in the way. He moved gracefully and a few times when jamming with his dad you could see the Van Halen family talent dripping out of him. Give this kid a few months on the road and I think he'll be stealing the show.

Alex -- kicked ass! Drums like bombs coming out of a B-52, and tight. Al was the glue. I heard Ed stray out of tempo once early on and Al pulled him back in. His solo was the best I've heard. He revamped it and I think the crowd really liked it. Surprise that the drum solo was such a hit.

Ed -- Holy shit! He is back, better than ever, and ready to save the world. I have seen VH three other times and never has Ed sounded this amazing or looked this happy. His tone kicked ass, he played tight with Al and Wolf, jumped around more than I have ever seen him do, and generally made believers of everyone in the audience. This was Ed's night and he was a real star. He reworked some of their old classics a bit. Added some effects, changed up solos, changed song endings. It all worked. The songs felt fresh, like they were touring a brand new album. Ed's solo was also reworked, the old highlights are still there, but there is also some new. During his solo Ed rolled around on the ground while smoking a cigarette and playing guitar. Pretty cool showmanship. Ed also has a few new stage moves. He gestures with his arms some. He seems to be really enjoying himself.

Overall impression -- these guys are playing like they have something to prove. The sound is tight and fresh. There were many jaw dropping moments when these guys rocked like no other band in history. I'd love to see them again so I could better commit those moments to memory. Someone please record this show!!

Comment

• bru87tr
      Commando
      • Apr 2004

I will say this, from the pics I have seen of last nights show.......

ed has that MTV smile again. like in the videos. he looks like daves sidekick again. he really looks happy, truly happy to be back with dave.

I am believe ed this time. he hasnt had that smile in decades. he has the smile he had during the concerts from the old days.
      "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• blonddgirl777
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by bru87tr
        I dont understand the negative comments by these journalists.

what are they talking about his liberace cloths ? thats tame!!! he wore way more extravagant cloths back in the day.

and not as limber as he use to be ? well name a fucking lead singer at his age who can do a high kick ? maybe cause of his last injury dr.'s told him not to do it anymore. cause it wasnt long ago he was still doing the riser jumps.

these people dont have a clue about VH or never went to a classic van halen show back in the day.

they dump on roth as much as they can even if it is little stabs.

his goofy smile, et etc and all these comments. dave has had that goofy smile since they have been VH. watch all the interviews.

morons.

oh, and the motorcycle contest ? watch the rehearsal clips bitch. dave killed eddie in that contest.
        Don't listen to journalists when it comes to reviews and opinions...
        They are just a bunch of clueless idiots!
        http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
        Originally posted by Nitro Express
        ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
        Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
        http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
        Originally posted by VanHalener
        ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
        Originally posted by FORD
        ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• blonddgirl777
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

The only complain I have (so far) is the wardrobe...

Next time, he should call ME... I'll be his own personal stylist... FREE of charge!
          ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
          ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• bru87tr
            Commando
            • Apr 2004

they really are, but it still pisses me off.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by damngoodtimes
              ... the marley kid...
              Do you mean I will get to have Ziggy Marley as an appetizer? :p

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by bru87tr
                they really are, but it still pisses me off.
                We have a couple of those idiots that are so fucked up...
                They actually prefer Van Hagar than CVH!

I just can't read or listen to them...

Comment

• bru87tr
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2004

I cant believe there isnt a video or audio clip online yet.

10am I am gonna get tickets, fuck it!!!!

Jharp84(john) & franksters talked me into it. I am broke but I guess thats what credit cards are for.

Comment

• TVGUY
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Feb 2007

God I am beat... But I don't regret it for a second. A fantastic show to say the least. I'm not going to rehash what you're already read.. But I can concur with their reviews.. Ed rocked, Dave was perfect, Alex was incredible.. and Wolfie did a great job. That being said he still looked completely out of place. I suppose after a tour under his belt he'll get that rock star confidence that the rest of the band has. One very funny moment came during Ice Cream Man.. During the part when the entire band kicks in.. Ed was not there.. He missed the cue during his smoke break!!! He had to scurry back on stage and jump back in. He had to play without a strap for a little while until he found a break to get it back on... Very funny moment.. A very awkward moment (IMO) came during Every Body Wants some.. Wolfie was suppose to do the "come Dave give me a break" line.. Well, in his best 16 year old, still not completely changed yet, and perhaps a little nerdy, voice.. he says... " Dave.. who every that guy you're talking to is... Can you give him a break???" We had a good laugh at that one.. During the first song.. there was a break when Dave said a quick word to the audience. The place was going nuts and I think he got a little emotional and said something to the effect that it took us 20+ years to get here.. Very nice moment. Speaking of the crowd. I mean Charlotte brought it's A game. That place was electric. Packed house and standing the whole show. (except maybe for the drum solo where some folks too a piss break or sat down for a rest ) There were some sound issues.. feedback would creep in occasionally.. And the mix wasn't the best IMO.. Seating might have played a part in that one. But overall.. It was awesome!! If you have tickets.. you will not be disappointed.. If you need tickets go get them now!! Peace out.. I'm off to G'boro for another round!
                    Three time witness to the comeback of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. And then they faded back into obscurity.

Comment

• moose
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2004

So far so good!
                      9 dayz and counting.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TVGUY
                        A very awkward moment (IMO) came during Every Body Wants some.. Wolfie was suppose to do the "come Dave give me a break" line.. Well, in his best 16 year old, still not completely changed yet, and perhaps a little nerdy, voice.. he says... " Dave.. who every that guy you're talking to is... Can you give him a break???"
                        Bro, I think you meant Unchained, not Everybody Wants Some. Might want to watch that next time before someone gives you hell about it.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by blonddgirl777
                          Do you mean I will get to have Ziggy Marley as an appetizer? :p
                          It's not Ziggy. His other son is the opener.
                          I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Someone give some descriptions of the T-shirts...

# of them, prices, etc....

Also, any autographed stuff ??

[[ Dave did this in '02 ]]
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TVGUY
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2007

Sorry dude.... Only 4 hours sleep. You're right.
                              Three time witness to the comeback of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. And then they faded back into obscurity.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
                                It's not Ziggy. His other son is the opener.
                                ANOTHER one of these hot babes?

WOW... I'll have to check out what he looks like...
                                Hope he's as hot as father and son!

I see Ki Mani, Damian and Stephen... are they all Bob's sons?
                                If so... who's doing the VH opening?
                                Last edited by blonddgirl777; 09-28-2007, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...