Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

You know, I'll be the first to admit that Yngwie won't appeal to everybody, and that's fine - no matter WHAT sort of music you're talking about, no matter WHAT musician, he/they aren't going to appeal to many people outside of those who appreciate what they're doing in the first place, and there's no exception to that rule.

In any regards, debate about who's the better guitarist is really pointless because Ed and Yngwie have entirely different styles...chop to chop in a blaze-off, in today's day and age Yngwie will own the floor, simply due to the fact that Yngwie's lost nothing over the years and is still incredibly fast and proficient; judging by everything we've seen out of Ed over the last umpteen years, I cannot convince myself by any reach of imagination that Ed could keep up with him.

Hearing the two of them side by side in 1982-83 would have been fucking AMAZING.

Honestly, I personally feel that Yngwie gets a lot of bandwagon bashers who leap onto the same points that music industry critics heaped upon him - that being "Oh, there's no style"; "Oh, it's all the same"; and "Oh, there's no feeling in it, it's just a race to the finish line." I mean, if you don't like the Wagner/Rainbow combination by a Ritchie Blackmore/Jimi Hendrix stage act, that's OK, but judge it on that alone...there's no denying Yngwie's a brilliant musician and composer, to my mind.

My personal opinion, of course, but I truly feel that some of the most moving guitar music I've ever heard in my entire life has been composed by Yngwie Malmsteen - easily one of the ten living legends of the instrument, and I'm not even specifically a fan of shred, per se. Yngwie is the only person I'll listen to in that field, simply because he does it better than anybody else and his pretenders are really what give the field such a bad name.

Anyway...House of Music?
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
            Sniper
            • Apr 2004

I would go as far to say that Yngwie is THE MOST emotional guitar player. Sure sometimes he goes on long shred runs that go nowhere. But if I had to make a list of the most emotional guitar solos ever, many of Yngwie's would be at the top of the list. Icarus Dream Suite, Marching Out and Sacrifice are three songs with solos that would make BB King cry.
            "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Many of the instrumentals, indeed...they really stand out from the pack...Crying, Memories, Sorrow, Brothers, Farewell, the aforementioned Icarus Dream Suite and Marching Out...works of brilliance, all...

I'm right there with ya bud...
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                But if I had to make a list of the most emotional guitar solos ever, many of Yngwie's would be at the top of the list. Icarus Dream Suite, Marching Out and Sacrifice are three songs with solos that would make BB King cry.
                Agreed . When Yngwie J. chooses to slow it down and play with a lot of emotion it's nice change from listening to him blitz through 64th notes constantly.

My top 3 EVH "emotional" solo's (that come to mind) are Push Comes to Shove , Secrets , Little Dreamer .....
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• lafours
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2004

the part after the main Solo in "Far Beyond the Sun" where Yngwie pulls out some bluesy licks and goes right back into the classical shredding is amazing! That song is still a guitar bench mark IMHO.

Comment

• Eddie's Booze
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by lafours
                    the part after the main Solo in "Far Beyond the Sun" where Yngwie pulls out some bluesy licks and goes right back into the classical shredding is amazing! That song is still a guitar bench mark IMHO.
                    Far Beyond The Sun is a benchmark in Guitar Playing just as Eruption is.

Both of those pieces of Music are works of art.

Satriani and Vai don't even come close to Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen.

Now this is strictly my opinion but the last decent guitar player to come along is Paul Gilbert.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...moking_dog.jpg

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Paul Gilbert cites Yngwie and Edward as major influences..

Comment

• Ra Power
                        Roadie
                        • Aug 2007

He should feel threatened, Yngwie is three times more talented than EVH.
                        ...I'm just skin 'n bones.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3...74largehi6.jpg
                        http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9199/justfatwz4.jpg

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

I don't know about that...

That's comparing apples and oranges...

Yngwie may be technically better than Edward, but that doesn't make hi more pleasing to the ear...

Michael Angelo is technically better than any player I can think of, but does that make him more entertaining or enjoyably to listen to ??

It may be fun to watch for a few minutes, but after the novelty wears off what do you have ??

Brad Gillis is one of my favorites, but I know he's not in the same league as a lot of players, but I still love his playing...

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                            Sniper
                            • Apr 2004

EVH is more innovative and a better songwriter than Yngwie.

Yngwie is a better guitar player.

When I learned how to play guitar a long time ago my teacher was a successful jazz guitarist. He really liked Yngwie's playing but not EVH's. He described EVH's playing as "sound effects" and to a large degree I think he was correct. But he also said that EVH was one of the best songwriters in rock and roll.

With people like EVH, Yngwie, Jimi Hendrix, Al Di Meola, Allan Holdsworth, Pat Metheny, etc. around it is kind of amazing to me that people like Vai and Satriani have any fans at all.
                            "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Edward had a great ear for guitar and guitar riffs and hooks...

Edward's playing is more of a collection of tricks, hooks and riffs when compared to someone like Yngwie who approaches the instrunent with more of a sense of melody...

But it's all good...

Comment

• estang74
                                Full On Cocktard
                                • May 2004

I don't think the Satch and Vai comments are fair. I'm not a big Satch fan, but the guy can write a good melody and is probably the most popular "guitar god" or instrumental guitar player out there with the non musician, music listeners. Alot of those guys could write good rock songs(example: Damn Good) but they choose to write what they want to write. I'm not saying they could write "Won't get fooled again" or "Sgt Pepper", but give these guys a little more credit. The thing that is cool about music is there are so many different styles to choose from. I'm a big Vai fan and I enjoy his solo work, I also enjoy the 6 pack because I think EVH was one of the best guitar players during that era. And yes, a great songwriter(with Roth lending a helping hand). I listen to what sounds cool to me and comparing guitar players is like apples and oranges because everybody gonna have a different opinion. It's a lot harder than comparing sports stars(ex. Jordan vs Kobe)

Comment

Working...