X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Another response from Mike...

Classic Rock Revisited: Eddie Van Halen told RollingStone.com that Michael quit VAN HALEN and was not fired.

Michael: I am so far past that… I wish that he would be too. Unfortunately, he is a bitter guy. At my age, at this point in my life, I don't want to be bitter. I want to hang around positive people, and I could not find three more positive guys than the guys I am playing with now. Why keep rehashing the past? They were asking Eddie questions that had nothing to do with that. They said, "Have you heard CHICKENFOOT?" And he goes, "Yeah, but by the way, Michael Anthony wasn't fired; he quit." It had nothing to do with anything. I never quit the band. At one point, I was forced to make a decision to sit on my hands, at home, and do nothing for a number of years, or go out and play some shows on a tour with Sammy and Dave [Lee Roth]. What would you do? I felt that I was doing those guys a service by going out and flying the VAN HALEN flag and letting people know that VAN HALEN is still here. My last name is not "Van Halen." People tend to forget you. I didn't want people to go, "That is that guy that used to play in VAN HALEN. What's his name again?" The fans wanted to hear that music. I was kind of forced into a situation like that. I never quit the band. When we did the 2004 reunion, Eddie didn't even want me to be a part of that because he was so torqued up that I was buddies with Sammy. Why can't I be buddies with Sammy and still play with VAN HALEN? With those guys, it was a cut-and-dried situation. You are in or you are out. You are with us or you are not. He still keeps bringing this stuff up. I talked to Joe Bosso [of MusicRadar.com] yesterday about it, because Rolling Stone was on his back for a response. I wanted the fans to know that I never left the band. For whatever happened, I am not a bitter person about it. I loved VAN HALEN; I loved everything we did. Hell, I was one of the only two guys who showed up for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. I love the legacy of the band but I am moving on. I am in a great place with CHICKENFOOT. Ed needs to do that too. [Eddie says he's] got a studio right there at [his] house, and [he says] that [he has] a million songs written. Well, go ahead and record some, and go out and have fun. Let's look back fondly at VAN HALEN and what it was. How was that? I am not a guy who gets mad. A lot of people are looking at my response and going, "Oh my God, Mike grew a set of balls." I didn't grow a set of balls. I just got tired of rehashing this shit. I am tired of it. I would always skate around the subject, but this is the way it is. I have gotten on with it and they need to get on with it too. They need to go out and remember why they are in this business.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bassplayer
      Why keep rehashing the past?
      Mike should ask Sammy that. any time an interviewer asks Sam a VH question he is more than happy to give his opinion and more information than he is asked.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        Another response from Mike...
        Mike sounds like a bitter old man.

His response is very Hagaresque, IMO.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Bitter about the 2004 tour and its "arrangement" (getting a reduced pay cut and the signing over of some rights) led Mike to continue to play with Sammy, not once even calling Ed or Al, and supposedly not even calling to offer his condolences over the passing of their mother = MIKE QUIT THE BAND.

End. Of. Story.

Yeah, its true he never said "I Quit!" but its not like he acted like he wanted to stay either.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Nobody has any fucking idea what Mike did or didn't do regarding the passing of, and funeral for, Mrs. Van Halen IMO...

BTW, does anyone know if Ed or Al sent any condolences after the Passing of Dr. Roth? Because I saw quite a bit of message board speculation that they ingored his death and did nothing even though he supported the Van Halens during the early days (oh wait, we're bashing Mike now! That means we have to suck Ed's dick because he's sort of back with Dave...)

P.S.: Incidentally, I also recall a thread here in which Ed's and Al's mother was demonized as being domineering. But of course that was probably in 04' and 05.'
            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM. Reason: ps

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

at the end of the day ed will ever be a fucking liar, his sister will ever be an asshole, TAFKAB a spineless wonder kissing sam's ass and Dave will be the man...so what...
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Well said, Nick...
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sauce Sobolewski
                  I didn't grow a set of balls.
                  No truer words have ever been spoken.

Comment

Foot Soldier
                    • Jun 2007

Fat Mullet

Does anyone really think Fat Mulet will return to the line up?

Ed and Al hate the two faced bastard, as he taunted them, by not turning up to their mother`s funeral. He was playing mind games. Ed fired Mullet the next week!

Mullet has also slagged Dave off, on numerous occassions when, in the company of Garry or Sam.

Fat pig also stirred shit between Dave and the bros, during the 2000/2001 sessions to get Sam back in, and it worked, as the album was shelved, and Hagar rejoined in 2004!

Fat Anthony = dirty fuckuing pig!

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mike Anthony's Mullet
                      At one point, I was forced to make a decision to sit on my hands, at home, and do nothing for a number of years, or go out and play some shows on a tour with Sammy and Dave...

Now, I disagree wholeheartedly with Eddie on the notion that Mike shouldn't be able to go out and do whatever while Eddie was home doing nothing/getting drunk/curing cancer/whatever.

How-fuckin'-ever, it looks right there like Eddie asked Mike to make a decision and Mike fuckin' made it. Again, it seems like a shitty ultimatum for Ed to make, but for Mike to go ahead and make the decision and then be somehow surprised when Ed holds him to it, well, that's fuckin' stupid.

Now, we don't know from Mike's comments exactly what was said or demanded between Ed and Mike back in 2002, but it seems clear that Mike knew Eddie's position on it and did the other fuckin' thing. So, Mike, own up to your decision and move on like you said you're doing. You say you're happy, so be happy and shut the fuck up about whether you quit or not.

Mike has spent so long defining himself as the "good guy" that he can't stand to be thought of any other way. So, yeah, you quit. I don't necessarily fuckin' blame you, by the way. But be a man and just admit it. Just because you quit doesn't mean that you're the shitbird and not Eddie. It's quite possibly true that Mike quit and Ed's still the shitbird.
                      David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                      — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        Nobody has any fucking idea what Mike did or didn't do regarding the passing of, and funeral for, Mrs. Van Halen IMO...

BTW, does anyone know if Ed or Al sent any condolences after the Passing of Dr. Roth? Because I saw quite a bit of message board speculation that they ingored his death and did nothing even though he supported the Van Halens during the early days (oh wait, we're bashing Mike now! That means we have to suck Ed's dick because he's sort of back with Dave...)

P.S.: Incidentally, I also recall a thread here in which Ed's and Al's mother was demonized as being domineering. But of course that was probably in 04' and 05.'
                        I did a net search and the local papers online... couldn't even find a single reference to her death nor even an obituary. As far as I know her passing wasn't even publicized at all. Given the poor personal relations within the present and past band members... odds are pretty good no one outside the Van Halens knew of her passing at the time.

This whole matter is all internet fodder with no facts on any family funeral attendance or condolences. None of it has any bearing on band antics anyways...

BTW Ed & Al just sold their mom's house for around $2.2 - 2.5 million back in March this year.

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• SNIPER
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

Well all I can say is I am glad they are hooking up and talking new album. I think its for real this time. I bet the new songs are gonna have the VH 2 vibe with a touch of WACF. That seems to be the style they had when Ed and Dave worked together. I can not fucking wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Hey, its all speculation (based on what we read in interviews and what not).

And by your argument that means whatever Mike says or said is full of shit too.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• thome
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Mar 2005

ZahZoo post #165 is rite on but nothing is sacred anymore and that is a drag sometimes.I don't really see anyone bagging on the Mother but people are douches and should mind thier manners when talking about BS and including dudes moms.

Comment

• indeedido
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SNIPER
                                Well all I can say is I am glad they are hooking up and talking new album. I think its for real this time. I bet the new songs are gonna have the VH 2 vibe with a touch of WACF. That seems to be the style they had when Ed and Dave worked together. I can not fucking wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Did Me Wise Magic have that VH II vibe or WACF?
                                This space for rent.

Comment

Working...