X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    And oh yeah, a message board that doesn't charge karma points....
    Five stars please? (Don't mind me, I always get this stuff mixed up. )

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• bang 2 rites
      Banned
      • Mar 2011

Refreshing tweet from one of the Soundwave Revolution organizers... As John McClain said, "Welcome to the party, pal"......

I must say, for one of the world's biggest bands, Van Halen are surrounded by idiots.

2 months after announcement stll can't get the dates on their site despite daily promises...
      Originally posted by chefcraig
      Let's not forget the ever-so-astute marketing plan that had the site offering merchandise for the 2007/08 tour...about three months after it had started. In addition to a bumper sticker and some t-shirts you could purchase at JC Pennys, you could also buy a coffee mug and a book bag.

And did anyone notice now that the Australian show banner is up, you can not access any other part of the site? Damn, just when I was thinking of ordering some official Van Halen flip-flops.
      Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
      I'm gonna be nice to Mushroom Boy and say that it is possible the site is being updated for a re-launch.
      Noting the speed to which the site got updated after the Soundwave Revolution Organizers tweet, I'd say someone really has had an arse kicking over this cock up

And at this rate if the official Van Halen site is going to be relaunched, its going to be way after the tours started.

Absolutely fucking useless.

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Let's give Bradman the benefit of the doubt here....

At least I will, I'm sure IF he had free reign he would've revamped that entire website....
        Well, IF the queen had balls, she'd be the king... I'm not so much ragging directly on brad, just saying the position is a fucking joke.... Webmaster implies actually mastering a website. I mean, the fucking graphic they put up doesn't even link out to festival info
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Van Halen camp is about 15 years out of date on how they operate.

On his radio show Roth admitted never going on the internet and he's the best of them.

They totally don't get how the modern media works instantly, how you promote, nurture and build fan bases and hype cross platforms.

The thing is that this could only happen in an environment where a band member has an incompetent wife doing the PR because no even semi respectable company they hired would stay in business being so clueless.

On the plus side though her star charts are very pretty.

Even if this album was the best thing they had ever recorded, it won't sell very many copies because they simply don't know what they're doing.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

** Resisting urge to jump back on the "VH social media" soapbox **
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

While continuing to wonder why the hell VH would do this I have decided it must be because of the poor state of the concert biz in the states. Based on that theory it sound like a good decision. And only for that reason IMO.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

That's only because he owes you money. Face it, if he paid back the eight bucks or so he bummed off you over a decade ago for a Slurpee, some rolling papers and a pack of Marlboros outside of that LA 7/11, you'd be just as nasty as the rest of us.
                Come to think of it, you are right.

Fucker owes me WAY MORE than the eight bucks!
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

On his radio show Roth admitted never going on the internet and he's the best of them.
                  I agree.

Roth knew what to do with promotion in the 70s and 80s -- but he really is out of touch with what you can do with media these days. Which, while it is an assumption, is suprising considering how intelligent Dave is.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                    I agree.

Roth knew what to do with promotion in the 70s and 80s -- but he really is out of touch with what you can do with media these days. Which, while it is an assumption, is suprising considering how intelligent Dave is.
                    I have been thinking about this also. I think it’s arrogance. WE ARE THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN. ANYTHING WE DO WILL BE GREAT. I fear this may bite them in the ass again because of the state of the music biz in the states. It’s going to be pretty damn hard for them to make a big splash sitting on their ass. In fact I will go so far as to say this tour won’t come close to grossing what AC/DC’s last tour did. Which was one of the top 5 highest grossing if I recall correctly. That’s my opinion.
                    Last edited by Jagermeister; 07-12-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Etienne
                      Commando
                      • Aug 2010

No matter how I wish there would be more information. As long as we are talking (rumours included) all is good in VH promotion land. The Tour 2007/8 was a success as far as I know.

Comment

• GennyVH
                        Groupie
                        • May 2011

At last!!! The update on the official site...

Comment

• bang 2 rites
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by VAiN
                          Well, IF the queen had balls, she'd be the king... I'm not so much ragging directly on brad, just saying the position is a fucking joke.... Webmaster implies actually mastering a website. I mean, the fucking graphic they put up doesn't even link out to festival info
                          Originally posted by Seshmeister

They totally don't get how the modern media works instantly, how you promote, nurture and build fan bases and hype cross platforms.

The thing is that this could only happen in an environment where a band member has an incompetent wife doing the PR because no even semi respectable company they hired would stay in business being so clueless.

On the plus side though her star charts are very pretty.

Even if this album was the best thing they had ever recorded, it won't sell very many copies because they simply don't know what they're doing.
                          A quick look at the Van Halen IT Department at work:

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

The pisser is they really don't have to do anything. Think about it...AC/DC, The Eagles, KISS, hell even the limp-dicks in Journey figured out you could sell shitloads of albums by simply signing a distribution deal with Walmart. Walk into the store and there it is, all over the place: At the check-out counters, at the end of each aisle, in stand-alone displays (with all the band's other albums for 5 bucks a piece), on posters in the music section right next to the garden supplies, in newspaper ads, crap, you name it-it's everywhere.

Or you could go the Axl Rose/Chickenfood way and sell it at Best Buy. The Sunday insert ad will have the album cover plastered all over flat screen tv sets you can't afford to purchase, offering so-called bonus tracks or DVDs tacked onto it. Of course the downside to this is the album could stiff and the store is so stocked with copies that it winds up remaindering them out for an embarrassing price (last week you could purchase Chickenfart's album for 49 cents, now it's up to $2.99) or worse yet, refusing to admit they ever sold it in the first place. I'm not kidding, go to the Best Buy site and try to find a reference to Chinese Democracy. The album (plus any mention of it) has been purged from the site.

A family wanders into the store to buy some underwear, some charcoal briquettes and a garden hose, then walks out with a new VH CD bought on impulse (along with some other dopey "values") in addition to what the came for. So Van Halen could sell tons of albums by accident. Why do you think they always put the magazines, candy and toenail clippers right next to the check-out conveyor belt? Stick a handful of VH CDs there and you could sell a couple million in an afternoon.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

The pisser is they really don't have to do anything. Think about it...AC/DC, The Eagles, KISS, hell even the limp-dicks in Journey figured out you could sell shitloads of albums by simply signing a distribution deal with Walmart. Walk into the store and there it is, all over the place: At the check-out counters, at the end of each aisle, in stand-alone displays (with all the band's other albums for 5 bucks a piece), on posters in the music section right next to the garden supplies, in newspaper ads, crap, you name it-it's everywhere.

Or you could go the Axl Rose/Chickenfood way and sell it at Best Buy. The Sunday insert ad will have the album cover plastered all over flat screen tv sets you can't afford to purchase, offering so-called bonus tracks or DVDs tacked onto it. Of course the downside to this is the album could stiff and the store is so stocked with copies that it winds up remaindering them out for an embarrassing price (last week you could purchase Chickenfart's album for 49 cents, now it's up to $2.99) or worse yet, refusing to admit they ever sold it in the first place. I'm not kidding, go to the Best Buy site and try to find a reference to Chinese Democracy. The album (plus any mention of it) has been purged from the site.

A family wanders into the store to buy some underwear, some charcoal briquettes and a garden hose, then walks out with a new VH CD bought on impulse (along with some other dopey "values") in addition to what the came for. So Van Halen could sell tons of albums by accident. Why do you think they always put the magazines, candy and toenail clippers right next to the check-out conveyor belt? Stick a handful of VH CDs there and you could sell a couple million in an afternoon.
                              Maybe that's the thing that separates VH from everyone else.

Maybe its a testament to the power of VH with Dave in that all they have to do is release the album and play the concerts and everything else will take care of itself.

Amazing, really, if that is indeed the case.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• VAiN
                                Use my hand, I won't look
                                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Hey - anyone in the Chicago area?

LINK

97.9 The Loop & Amstel Light present, the fifth leg of The Loop World Tour!

We've sent Loopers all over the world, and this time we're sending someone where no Looper has gone before...to see Van Halen in Sydney, Australia!

Starting Monday, July 18th, tune into The Loop for your chance to win.

When you hear Pete, Pat, Byrd or Walt play two Van Halen songs back-to-back, be caller number 97 when the second song starts and you'll score a classic Loop t-shirt and get qualified for the chance to wear that t-shirt in Australia while you watch Van Halen live!

THE GRAND PRIZE TRIP INCLUDES:

Roundtrip airfare for two (2) from Chicago to Sydney
                                Four (4) nights of hotel accommodations
                                Two (2) tickets to the show
                                All necessary hotel/concert transfers
                                Originally posted by wiseguy
                                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Working...