X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Matt White
    remember that PIECE OF SHIT video they shot for DREAMS in a club way back in the day? PLaying it off like it was CLASSIC VAN HALENish???

Tomorrow will BURY THAT SHIT for once and for all!!!
    This. Times a Million.

I always had in my imagination if that had been the real band in 91 you'd have seen a near riot happen in LA that go around.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

at the risk of flogging a dead horse - a wise man once said there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.

the statistical red herring that is often waved around is that - for a time - Van Hagar was "more successful" because their albums all went to No.1. That is often trotted out as a flabby justification for the bigger lie.

Well, it's also a statistic that only makes sense within the context of a market. Today you can probably get a No. 1 album with less than 100,000 sales (I believe that Chickenf**t's album went top ten with sales of around 40k). Different times, different markets. So, look at context - '1984' was kept off top spot by an album that was probably selling a million a week at the time. At any other time, it would have been a No. 1 album.

Anyways, this is the last word I will ever utter on this topic. The truth is self-evident for anyone who cares to do a bit of looking.
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by TJMKID
        I always hated that 1993 video because it desperately tried to fool people into thinking Sammy was there at the beginning:
        Rumor has it that they actually had to reverse the footage of thousands of people running away from The Whisky when word got out Hagar was still in the band.

It's very misleading...

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
          Anyways, this is the last word I will ever utter on this topic. The truth is self-evident for anyone who cares to do a bit of looking.
          No way, you will find yourself unable not to comment again every 18 months or so.

Been there broke the oath many times.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by FORD
            Van Halen 1 sold over 10 million copies
            1984 sold over 10 million copies

Van Hagar's best seller was 5150, which sold 6 million. Every Van Hagar album after that sold LESS than the one before. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I think it was like 4 million for Othisblowsgoats2, 3 million for FUCK, and 2 million for Balance. And their horrible live album barely cracked gold, from my memory.
            And there you go. I said it somewhere else around here. The only reason people think Sam outsold Dave is because the 4 Sam albums shipped at number one the first week or 2 they were out but VH 1 & 1984 alone outsold the 4 Hagar albums.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

the statistical red herring that is often waved around is that - for a time - Van Hagar was "more successful" because their albums all went to No.1. That is often trotted out as a flabby justification for the bigger lie.
              implementation of SoundScan was the difference. there were hard numbers to base it on. move a lot of units day of release, and it probably went #1, at least for a week.

from Wikipedia:

Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data for Nielsen on March 1, 1991. The May 25 issue of Billboard published Billboard 200 and Country Music charts based on SoundScan "piece count data," and the first Hot 100 chart to debut with the system was released on November 30, 1991. Previously, Billboard tracked sales by calling stores across the U.S. and asking about sales - a method that was inherently error-prone and open to outright fraud.
              the RIAA cert is different though...

Nielsen SoundScan figures are not used in RIAA certification; the RIAA system predates Nielsen SoundScan and includes sales outlets Nielsen misses. Prior to Nielsen SoundScan, RIAA certification was the only audited and verifiable system for tracking music sales in the U.S.; it is still the only system capable of tracking 100% of sales (albeit as shipments less returns, not actual sales like Nielsen SoundScan).
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

'1984' was kept off top spot by an album that was probably selling a million a week at the time. At any other time, it would have been a No. 1 album.

I'm in the minority here I know, but 1984 is my favorite Van Halen album. Sadly it had to go up against 'Thriller' which is an impossible task.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

Van Halen was never as big as they were in 1984. They were the biggest band on the face of the earth. It was a surreal time for a young VH fan to watch your favourite
                  band rise from the release of the first album to the top of the world in 6 short years only to have the wheels fall off and witness the band replace the Rocks greatest frontman with a
                  B/C level clown.

Tubby McHagar walked into the biggest band in the world. He did nothing to elevate or maintain that status. What he did maintain was a steady trend of the opposite, with the proof of each album
                  selling less than the previous.

Trunk and Hagar can fuck off and eat a bag of dicks!
                  Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    I'm in the minority here I know, but 1984 is my favorite Van Halen album. Sadly it had to go up against 'Thriller' which is an impossible task.
                    My favorite Van Halen album as well. I love it with such a passion, I never get tired of it.

One interesting thing is, if you look at the sales of Van Halen when it peaked at Number 2, those weekly sales were higher than the week 5150 hit Number 1.

Sales numbers have nothing to do with the chart. It was Number 2 because Michael Jackson was bigger than Coca-Cola. 5150 would not have come near THRILLER... At least 1984 gave it a fighting chance.

And which line-up had a #1 single?
                    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

1. Nice of Eddie to admit he could be wrong. To me he is THE global spokesman (media-wise) for Heavy Metal and Hard Rock. Nobody elected him to the post...he just has the highest profile right now in public perception.

2. How is Van Halen better than van hagar? Let me count the ways.......one, two, thirteen, sixty-nine, five-hundred-forty-three, seven-hundred-thousand, eight-hundred and ninety-nine, 87 billion......need I go on?

Record Sales.....beat that dead horsie!

3. I do not have a favorite album, but the first 4 are my fave albumS.

4. How fast will this new album hit platinum? Might take a couple of months, but it is not a question of "IF" but a question of "WHEN".

5. Yes, Eddie has to be a good host, massage the egos of his guests, etc. but then he is a huge FAN of metal anyway. There IS, however, a post from VHND awhile back....something that was a pretty extensive (but FAR from complete) list of the fucking lies Spambot printed in his imaginary "autobiography".

VaBeach? Great job with Eddie. Send this list to him so he can see for himself what a fucking tool Spambot really is:

Original link here:

But to save Eddie from having to search for the list, Sesh posted it here:

Comment

• Halen High
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                        Who the fuck has been "inspired" by Van HAGAR and Hagar in general?

I've only seen one admit it, and it was the frontman from Tesla claiming he won a slot in the band by singing "You're love is driving me crazy".

Classic Van Halen? Every fucking hairband ever, plus Smashing Pumpkins, Pantera, Alice In Chains, L7, (FORD claims Nirvana..cannot confirm nor deny) Green Day, Living Colour. oh..forgot..in the "All My Life" video for Foo Fighters, they're actually playing "Panama"

The whole crowd including CHRIS ROCK didn't go apeshit over the 04 reunion did they? No, because Roth led Van Halen was fucking awesome. Van HAGAR is the fucking 80's version of Nickelback with a better guitarist.
                        I'm not aware of any artist ever citing Van Hagar or Sammy-era VH as an influence.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mosh51501984
                          @EddieTrunk
                          incredible to me the people that feel you can't like both versions of Van Halen and need to pick a side. I mean what is this, high school?
                          Coming from a guy who dedicates a whole segment of his TV show to 'picking a side'.

Comment

• 1971Quarter
                            Roadie
                            • Feb 2006

Eddie Trunk = tool

Comment

• mosh51501984
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                              Coming from a guy who dedicates a whole segment of his TV show to 'picking a side'.
                              Exactly he is so blatant about it he's very much what is so wrong with media today. He lobs softballs to his guests does not challenge them and suxs their dick. Case in point the Axl Rose interview. The other co-hosts call him on his BS though and try to set him straight.

Comment

• TJMKID
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by mosh51501984
                                Exactly he is so blatant about it he's very much what is so wrong with media today. He lobs softballs to his guests does not challenge them and suxs their dick. Case in point the Axl Rose interview. The other co-hosts call him on his BS though and try to set him straight.

I agree 100% ---- that Axl Rose interview was an hour long dick-slurping session.

If that was Lisa Robinson interviewing and it was 1985 ---- she woulda ripped the arms out of Axl's sockets.

Comment

Working...